Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

I think anyone who is influenced by paint color is not ready to buy.

And you see it all the time on TV. They aren't paying attention to the house they're paying attention to the $20.00 valance from Walmart.

I bought a condo DESPITE the colors. She had every room a different color and the entire living/dining was clay and peach-ish.

She put about 5 coats of paint on and did a beautiful job. The bedroom is BLUE and I CANNOT LIVE IN BLUE.

However, the condo was gorgeous and fully upgraded so I looked past it.

It was 6 yrs ago and I still can't wait to repaint but it's expensive AND I have a bird who cannot live here with paint. sigh.

IF ONLY she had used BEIGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My take on this is: If you cannot afford to paint the rooms in the house you're planning to buy, you cannot afford the house. Period.
Seems a bit harsh to say that if a person doesn't have several thousand extra in the bank to hire painters or several hundred and the spare time and expertise to do it themselves that they shouldn't be buying a house.

What if they want to keep something in reserve in case the furnace goes out or the car goes kaplooey?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Seems a bit harsh to say that if a person doesn't have several thousand extra in the bank to hire painters or several hundred and the spare time and expertise to do it themselves that they shouldn't be buying a house.

What if they want to keep something in reserve in case the furnace goes out or the car goes kaplooey?
I agree.

My brother bought a house where every single room was a day-glo bright color. I mean bright turquoise, hot pink, deep reds, purples. He spent a fortune on paying someone to paint with multiple coats of primer and paint, and many of the ceilings were vaulted, so he couldn't easily do them by himself. He ended up having to replace his a/c units and kitchen appliances as well a year or so later. It would have been nice if he didn't have to go through all the trouble and expense to paint all those rooms.

The house we bought had lots of darker colors, deep browns, dark faux finishes. I knew that we would never get around to painting a lot of the rooms once we moved in, so we had it done before we moved and furniture would be in the way. We had the kitchen, family room, master bedroom, master bath and rec room repainted (which were in the dark faux finish that took multiple coats to cover) as well as another room that had walls that were yellow, blue, and green repainted. $3500 for all that. There are other rooms with the dark faux finish, but they are seldom used rooms, so we held off. I could have spent that money on other things of more usefulness, but we weren't about ready to walk away from the house just because we had to paint over their horrific taste in room colors.

If those rooms were a light tan/beige color, it wouldn't have cost so much money to repaint with all that primer/multiple coats.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post
I agree.

My brother bought a house where every single room was a day-glo bright color. I mean bright turquoise, hot pink, deep reds, purples. He spent a fortune on paying someone to paint with multiple coats of primer and paint, and many of the ceilings were vaulted, so he couldn't easily do them by himself. He ended up having to replace his a/c units and kitchen appliances as well a year or so later. It would have been nice if he didn't have to go through all the trouble and expense to paint all those rooms.

The house we bought had lots of darker colors, deep browns, dark faux finishes. I knew that we would never get around to painting a lot of the rooms once we moved in, so we had it done before we moved and furniture would be in the way. We had the kitchen, family room, master bedroom, master bath and rec room repainted (which were in the dark faux finish that took multiple coats to cover) as well as another room that had walls that were yellow, blue, and green repainted. $3500 for all that. There are other rooms with the dark faux finish, but they are seldom used rooms, so we held off. I could have spent that money on other things of more usefulness, but we weren't about ready to walk away from the house just because we had to paint over their horrific taste in room colors.

If those rooms were a light tan/beige color, it wouldn't have cost so much money to repaint with all that primer/multiple coats.
I've heard more people explain that they are not going to paint neutral colors because what if a buyer wanted those colors and all their work was for naught.

In reality, tons of buyers probably passed on their home because they didn't want the extra expense and trouble.

My friend is generally able to negotiate great deals on the homes she buys because they often have sat on the market for a time. In addition to thousands she spends on painting and installing hardwood floors, she pays to stay in a hotel and pays for her belongings to be in storage. It is not cheap.

She'd rather do it up front and have a house she loves living in and one that looks great when she's ready to put it on the market.

But to say that she shouldn't buy a house if she can't afford to do that seems a stretch.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Knockdown wall texture? Where they spray stuff on the ceiling and walls and trowel it flat. How to Create a Traditional Knockdown Texture Finish | Behr Paint

Is this a good idea or not?

Can you do it over popcorn ceiling or do you need to remove the popcorn first?

No you gotta scrape popcorn completely off and then re texture. Popcorn is the pits. I cannot stand looking at popcorn ceilings. When I remodel my rentals I get them scraped. I did my house and will do any house I ever live in if it has it.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

And you see it all the time on TV. They aren't paying attention to the house they're paying attention to the $20.00 valance from Walmart.

I bought a condo DESPITE the colors. She had every room a different color and the entire living/dining was clay and peach-ish.

She put about 5 coats of paint on and did a beautiful job. The bedroom is BLUE and I CANNOT LIVE IN BLUE.

It was 6 yrs ago and I still can't wait to repaint but it's expensive AND I have a bird who cannot live here with paint. sigh.

It's possible to neutralize the blue with other colors in accessories and linens. I've seen some horrible pepto bismol pink bathrooms where tearing out everything is impossible for a move... they use a stronger color and patterns to move the eyes away from the pink, and people barely notice the pink bathroom.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My take on this is: If you cannot afford to paint the rooms in the house you're planning to buy, you cannot afford the house. Period.
If that was a house buying rule nobody would be buying houses.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:33 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Our first home was a new-build townhouse. When we were ready to trade up, the market was bad and we weren't able to sell. We rented out the place for three years. At that point, the market had improved. So...once we got the tenant out, we set about to paint the place plus we ordered some new neutral colored carpeting.

A man and his realtor came to look at it while we were painting. We told them that new carpet was coming soon. The man asked what color the carpet was going to be and we told him. He was not happy because he wanted blue carpeting throughout the house!

As they were leaving, our daughter heard his realtor explain to him that when people fix up a house for resale, they put in neutral carpeting and that no one would put in blue carpet.

Now, blue is my favorite color but I would never carpet our current home in all blue!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

People can be influenced by many things, including paint colors. Who are we to think that they are "not ready to buy"? When it comes to homebuying, people feel strongly about many things and that's their right. They are the ones forking over the money, no? BTW, I've already owned already so I'm not a first timer. Like I said upthread, I like what I like. An all beige/tan home or an all white home counts as a negative for me. It doesn't mean that I will totally disregard the other aspects of the home, but it will have some bearing. I don't want to paint when I move in and an all beige home will force me to do that.

Veering off this post, let me say this, I have no issue whatsoever with people using neutral colors. Heck, our current home is due for a paint job at ten years and we are using neutrals this time around (except the yellowy beige!). It's called VARIETY. We use many colors in the palette, not just one. We have grays and greiges and taupes and heck, our master is plum. People are pulling wacky colors out here as examples and that's at the complete end of the spectrum. You don't have to use "out there" colors to be expressive AND neutral at the same time. Why one or the other?

In addition, if you live in a production builder home, things have a tendency to look "cookie cutter" -- all rooms beige boxes with an angle here and there. If Bedroom 4 is beige and Bedroom 3 is beige they all look the same - a chain of beige boxes, with the exception being the master (which is larger). I know that I am in the minority but like I said in my OP, an all beige home or a white home is a turnoff for me.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
What I've seen a lot of lately is the walls being painted two different colors in the same room. I ABHOR that....it looks very disjointed and disorganized to me. It's not something I could live with for even a week, so I would be having to paint....and as I also abhor painting (LOL), it would definitely cool my ardor for a house.

I'd rather have all white or beige so I could live with it until I got around to painting over it. But, this is not a perfect world and things don't always work out the way we want, so if I really liked the important things about the house, I'd look past the paint colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate