Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If it is "so easy to change" then why do people have an issue with a lime green bathroom then? It goes both ways.

Using variety when it comes to painting isn't being "different for the sake of being different". If done right, it makes a home look that much better than some non-descript all beige home with beige tile to match.

Then again, I freely admit that I am very much into color. Both the exterior and interior of my home use quite a bit of the color palette and that's what I expect from my new home. I've done way too much with this current house to want to embark on that journey again. And the price we're paying, we want what we want.

That goes both ways, if I am purchasing a home I want what I want and I would pass and have passed on even looking at homes with multi color walls in the home.
I will not pay that much money for a home just to sink more money into it to cover that blood red accent wall that you thought looked so great when it was your home.

Some people have physical limitations and cannot do the work themselves or they have financial limitations and cannot or will not spend more to change something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Seems a bit harsh to say that if a person doesn't have several thousand extra in the bank to hire painters or several hundred and the spare time and expertise to do it themselves that they shouldn't be buying a house.
Horse hockey. Anyone can paint a wall; there is no "expertise" involved.

I'm so amused at this entitled generation that wants someone else to make things perfect for them. But then again, we raised them ...

Quote:
What if they want to keep something in reserve in case the furnace goes out or the car goes kaplooey?
Again - if you can't afford this, you can't afford to own a home.

Not buy a home. Own a home. There is a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If that was a house buying rule nobody would be buying houses.
And maybe we wouldn't have a collapsed housing market, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Heck, wallpaper takes even more buyers out of the equation.
I've passed on more than one house where every single room was wallpapered. Tearing out wallpaper is leagues more time consuming and arduous work than painting. If it were one or two rooms, I might have considered the house. But all of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
You do realize a bucket of paint is $25 at Home Depot, right?
I know, right? Throw in about $20 worth of supplies, too. People are acting like painting a room will cause another Depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If it is "so easy to change" then why do people have an issue with a lime green bathroom then?
Because they're boring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I will not pay that much money for a home just to sink more money into it to cover that blood red accent wall that you thought looked so great when it was your home.
Cool, then at the closing I'll credit you the $10 you'll need to spend repainting that one wall.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I'm so amused at this entitled generation that wants someone else to make things perfect for them. But then again, we raised them ...

Again - if you can't afford this, you can't afford to own a home.

Not buy a home. Own a home. There is a huge difference.

And maybe we wouldn't have a collapsed housing market, etc.

I've passed on more than one house where every single room was wallpapered. Tearing out wallpaper is leagues more time consuming and arduous work than painting. If it were one or two rooms, I might have considered the house. But all of them?

I know, right? Throw in about $20 worth of supplies, too. People are acting like painting a room costs thousands of dollars.

Because they're boring?

Cool, then at the closing I'll credit you the $10 you'll need to spend repainting that one wall.

Actually there will be no closing because I would not purchase that home let alone look at it.
There is no need to be snippy or "", you have this idea that everyone on the planet can do absolutely everything you can do or things you yourself would do and it is not true.

By the way: You yourself pointed out and agreed with the above post that paint is $25.00 per can at home depot so technically the credit would be more than a measly $10.00.

Also, I am 53 years old and have never been part of the 'entitled' generation so don't even start that nonsense either.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
That goes both ways, if I am purchasing a home I want what I want and I would pass and have passed on even looking at homes with multi color walls in the home.

Some people have physical limitations and cannot do the work themselves or they have financial limitations and cannot or will not spend more to change something.
Ok, that's your prerogative. I'll pass on the all beige house if the sum of all the parts doesn't add up. Whatever makes us happy. There's something out there for all. It's not like I'm going to paint my home all beige.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:17 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I'm so amused at this entitled generation that wants someone else to make things perfect for them.

Quote:
Actually there will be no closing because I would not purchase that home let alone look at it.

There is no need to be snippy or "", you have this idea that everyone on the planet can do absolutely everything you can do or things you yourself would do and it is not true.
There is no way my husband would agree to buy a home that required painting over red or black walls. Period. He can paint just fine. He just doesn't like to do it.

As for the seller handing us ten bucks at closing and calling it good. Oh, please.

The home would need to have a significant price reduction for me to talk him into agreeing to buy a home that required us to do much more than move in.

There are only three types of buyers likely to buy a home they plan to put in a fair amount of work on.

Fixer-upper folks. People who enjoy taking a diamond in the rough and making it shine.

Flippers. People who plan to paint the place a neutral color, put down laminate floors, install new kitchen counters and jack up the price.

Brand new buyers who have been watching HGTV too much and don't know what they are getting into.

The first two are likely to drive a hard bargain. Who knows about the third?

So unless you are willing to knock a great deal more off the price than ten bucks or wait around for clueless newbies or the rare individual who shares your love of "non boring" colors...

On second thought, paint those "non-boring" colors on various walls all over the place. I think it's a great move.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Very rarely do I see a home that has walls painted in colors that match my taste and style. It must either be repainted or tolerated until we move.

Most people are lazy and take the path of least resistance.

Let's say that a home buyer is looking at some houses that are all the same cost, size, and lot size. The only difference is the decorations. No home is painted in a style they love.

#1 has outlandish colors that are very taste specific. It must be repainted before moving in the home.

#2 has interesting colors that they can tolerate, but it doesn't match their furnishings.

#3. has bland colors that they can tolerate, and it doesn't clash with their furniture.

They will either pick #2 or #3. Many people will lean towards the more neutral one as the path of least resistance. People don't want to mess with paint unless the house has some advantage over the comps. Whether that is a lower price or something the homeowners throw in like appliances.

That's why people paint things these boring shades of beige. Now light grey is becoming the hot neutral color. It doesn't turn off as many buyers. It is boring but it's neutral.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
Don't ever visit Santa Fe, NM. You will be REALLY sad.

I'm amazed at the people who get turned off by the color of rooms. A bucket of paint and a half day on a weekend will change that. Oh you mean there are 4 rooms that are beige/tan? Spend 4 half days - is that too much?

My company used to do a lot of relocation appraisals. Relo companies tell everyone that beige/tan is the universal color for rooms and carpet. An appraisal should deduct from the value if they are any other color, since that is what the market wants.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
I like homes that are either all Whites or all bold colors. I can stand either for a while until there is time to paint.

I agree w OP, off-white is NOT the same feeling as a crisp cool toned opening white. It's like night and day. Off white brings me down and feels almost dirty. (Which is ironic because from what I hear, off white is used over white to hide stains.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I prefer a more neutral palette in a house I am buying so that I have the option on whether or not to paint if I don't care for the colors or they don't match my furniture and other decor items. I did buy a house that had awful paint colors - dark, ugly, sponge technique, etc. and I took that into consideration in my offer as I knew I'd also have to pay for painting before moving in.

And to those who think "all you need is a bucket of paint" - paint colors aside, you are turning off some buyers who aren't satisfied with a subpar paint job regardless of the colors. If I have to paint edges and baseboard, etc. because things weren't done properly, that would also be a factor in my decision on whether to buy and how much to offer. You don't have to sell to me, of course, but a lot depends on your market and how many other potential buyers are out there. Motivated sellers in a buyers market need to do more to sell their house, period. If you don't care and can wait longer or if you are in a sellers market, you have more leeway over the condition your house is in when you go to sell.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Default Paint Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I prefer a more neutral palette in a house I am buying so that I have the option on whether or not to paint if I don't care for the colors or they don't match my furniture and other decor items. I did buy a house that had awful paint colors - dark, ugly, sponge technique, etc. and I took that into consideration in my offer as I knew I'd also have to pay for painting before moving in.

And to those who think "all you need is a bucket of paint" - paint colors aside, you are turning off some buyers who aren't satisfied with a subpar paint job regardless of the colors. If I have to paint edges and baseboard, etc. because things weren't done properly, that would also be a factor in my decision on whether to buy and how much to offer. You don't have to sell to me, of course, but a lot depends on your market and how many other potential buyers are out there. Motivated sellers in a buyers market need to do more to sell their house, period. If you don't care and can wait longer or if you are in a sellers market, you have more leeway over the condition your house is in when you go to sell.
My mother had the interiors of her house painted a few years ago, and we later noticed that the painter had painted over the crepe tape he placed on the moulding area. I cannot understand how that could of happened if he was paying attention - he must of zoned out while painting. Unbelievable... I think exteriors need professional painters, but interiors could be DIY and even fun. I told her that next time she needs painting, I'll help her paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate