Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Painting rooms to your taste is part of buying and maintaining a house. Anyone who can't handle that should continue either renting or living with Mommy and Daddy.

I wasn't crying about it. I was simply giving the information. Some people want to move in and not have to do anything more than maybe hang a curtain. They may not have a bunch of money to repaint the house.Lots of people simply assume you can just paint over old paint. Most people have no idea how to prep and paint correctly and it usually shows. It's not just rolling paint on a wall. And not everyone has the time or knowledge to DIY. To have a house professionally painted correctly runs 2500-3500 or more depending on size. Have you ever seen what happens if you use latex over oil? Or if you don't prep and clean with the right cleaners? Peel or bubble. And 3-4x as expensive to fix
I went In this house where the guy painted with a sprayer. Too bad he didn't realize you gotta roll it once you spray it. I could see every pass line. But the house advertised fresh paint. Great, fresh paint I'm gonna have to repaint if I bought.
For the most part panting a occupied house is a pita. And most people don't take the time to do it correctly or are in a hurry.

My house is different colors. But when I go buy another and rent it or sell it, this one it gets repainted to boring colors. Because ultimately I don't want to give a buyer a excuse to demand money off or credit. Like I said what you do with the house once you buy it is your deal.
If its a rental ALL my rentals get painted these colors. Why? Because at any time I only deal with three colors. And I'm not storing (as I did) 20 cans of different paint.

I've viewed some colors with hideous color combos. As I've been in the construction industry I see things as anything can be fixed. My wife ( your typical shopper) sees it as a insurmountable mountain. I think you're underestimating what colors can do to a house appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Neutral colors make it easier for someone to envision the possibilities. It's that simple.

You have a blank canvas in front of you and your imagination runs wild with possibilities. If someone put a canvas in front of you where a quarter was painted bold red, another quarter pale yellow and the last half sky blue, many people are going to stand there and think, "WTF?" It's the same canvas, same dimensions, but the latter requires someone who can envision what to do with their colorful canvas, or the desire to spend time painting over everything to have a clean surface to begin working with.

Sadly, most people aren't exceptionally creative, can't envision what might be, and are strongly influenced by what is right in front of their eyes.
This is sort of like the old "furnished or vacant" question. Experience with lots of buyers has taught me that some people can't envision their furniture in a house that already has furniture in it, and some people can't envision their furniture in a house that is vacant. And the ratio runs about 50-50. I get the feeling, showing houses to buyers and actually seeing/hearing their reactions, that the "color versus neutral" ratio is about the same.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Some people want to move in and not have to do anything more than maybe hang a curtain. They may not have a bunch of money to repaint the house.Lots of people simply assume you can just paint over old paint. Most people have no idea how to prep and paint correctly and it usually shows. It's not just rolling paint on a wall. And not everyone has the time or knowledge to DIY. To have a house professionally painted correctly runs 2500-3500 or more depending on size. Have you ever seen what happens if you use latex over oil? Or if you don't prep and clean with the right cleaners? Peel or bubble. And 3-4x as expensive to fix
Some ask that you even leave the curtains. Buyers of our last house wanted our curtains, barstools, piano, and I don't know what all.

I agree that most don't know how to prep and paint. About a year ago, had a 2,000 sq. ft. home professionally painted. The crew spent an entire week on prep work. They scraped off popcorn ceiling for a couple days and spent the rest of the week patching walls, scraping glue left from wallpaper, etc. Previous painters had not even removed outlet covers or vents, just painted the edges of them. All of these had to be removed.

Cost $5K, but when they were done the place looked brand new.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:30 AM

Knockdown wall texture? Where they spray stuff on the ceiling and walls and trowel it flat. How to Create a Traditional Knockdown Texture Finish | Behr Paint

Is this a good idea or not?

Can you do it over popcorn ceiling or do you need to remove the popcorn first?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Knockdown wall texture?
Is this a good idea or not?
Nope. It's a "style" based in economy (low skill help who can't do a smooth finish).

Quote:
Can you do it over popcorn ceiling or do you need to remove the popcorn first?
Gotta remove the popcorn before you do anything.

Hire a GOOD finisher and get a smooth wall/ceiling.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. It's a "style" based in economy (low skill help who can't do a smooth finish).

Gotta remove the popcorn before you do anything.

Hire a GOOD finisher and get a smooth wall/ceiling.
We removed the popcorn in our clubhouse ceiling and got a great smooth ceiling. Unfortunately, after about six months, cracks started appearing at joints.

Trying to figure out how we can avoid the constant repairing of cracks.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is sort of like the old "furnished or vacant" question. Experience with lots of buyers has taught me that some people can't envision their furniture in a house that already has furniture in it, and some people can't envision their furniture in a house that is vacant. And the ratio runs about 50-50. I get the feeling, showing houses to buyers and actually seeing/hearing their reactions, that the "color versus neutral" ratio is about the same.
What people also fail to understand, though, is that color can be neutral. It doesn't have to be beige/tan to be neutral, and even in the beige range, you can have cool and warm tones, blue or green undertones versus yellow, red or orange undertones. There are a lot of neutral shades of colors that you can use, and especially in the blue and green range that lean far more toward neutral on a wall.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
What people also fail to understand, though, is that color can be neutral. It doesn't have to be beige/tan to be neutral, and even in the beige range, you can have cool and warm tones, blue or green undertones versus yellow, red or orange undertones.
Yes.

When neutrals are done correctly, they enhance the space. Another example: stark white is a bad idea in most spaces. An off white is generally a better choice and the lightest tan with a yellow undertone will look better if there is oak paneling.

This is where it helps to either have someone who is good with colors help out in picking it/them -OR- invest a few bucks in those 2 oz samples and paint the color on the wall and look at it over the course of 24 hours. That will help pick a deep enough beige in a sun-lit room, for example.

I had five beiges on the wall at one point in 3' x 3' blocks, but I was picking a whole house color, and it had to be right.

And, yes, the whole house as one color doesn't win any decorating awards in some circles, but it's very easy to touch up any problems and in a small house with good light, the right white will look yellow or even gold at certain times of the day. A Sears paint called Ivory Linen (no longer made!) had that quality. I did a small house in that color, but it looked like I used three different colors, depending on the light.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They may not have a bunch of money to repaint the house.Lots of people simply assume you can just paint over old paint. Most people have no idea how to prep and paint correctly and it usually shows. It's not just rolling paint on a wall. And not everyone has the time or knowledge to DIY.
My take on this is: If you cannot afford to paint the rooms in the house you're planning to buy, you cannot afford the house. Period.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes.

When neutrals are done correctly, they enhance the space. Another example: stark white is a bad idea in most spaces. An off white is generally a better choice and the lightest tan with a yellow undertone will look better if there is oak paneling.

This is where it helps to either have someone who is good with colors help out in picking it/them -OR- invest a few bucks in those 2 oz samples and paint the color on the wall and look at it over the course of 24 hours. That will help pick a deep enough beige in a sun-lit room, for example.

I had five beiges on the wall at one point in 3' x 3' blocks, but I was picking a whole house color, and it had to be right.

And, yes, the whole house as one color doesn't win any decorating awards in some circles, but it's very easy to touch up any problems and in a small house with good light, the right white will look yellow or even gold at certain times of the day. A Sears paint called Ivory Linen (no longer made!) had that quality. I did a small house in that color, but it looked like I used three different colors, depending on the light.
Behr Sand Dollar White is a chameleon off-white white like that. What color it looks depends on the light and the colors surrounding it. It looks quite neutral and non-boring when used with white trim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate