Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Horse hockey. Anyone can paint a wall; there is no "expertise" involved.
I'm so amused at this entitled generation that wants someone else to make things perfect for them. But then again, we raised them ...
Again - if you can't afford this, you can't afford to own a home.
Not buy a home. Own a home. There is a huge difference.
And maybe we wouldn't have a collapsed housing market, etc.
I've passed on more than one house where every single room was wallpapered. Tearing out wallpaper is leagues more time consuming and arduous work than painting. If it were one or two rooms, I might have considered the house. But all of them?
I know, right? Throw in about $20 worth of supplies, too. People are acting like painting a room will cause another Depression.
Because they're boring?
Cool, then at the closing I'll credit you the $10 you'll need to spend repainting that one wall.
What's amazing is your level of arrogance and dismissive attitude. There is painting ( slap paint on a wall call it a day) and there is painting correctly
The basic steps in painting. And I'm sure probably missing a few.
Remove or place all furniture in the middle of the room.
Cover with tarps or plastic
Clean walls with degreaser or cleaning agent to get rid of waxes, grease, fingerprints, snot, blood, bodily fluids etc. You would be surprised what's on a wall.
Remove all electrical wall plates and mask off switches and outlets.
Mask off baseboards and wood casings.
Lay down plastic or drop cloths
Then patch all cracks nail holes maybe bigger holes dings dents and gouges/accidental damage
Now the patches need sanding
Gotta re texture the area you patched too
Well now you have to primer it. A fresh patch soaks and dries the paint at a different rate than a wall that has paint on it already.
Great now you're painting. If the color you're covering up is bad as in bleed through strength it MAY require two coats of primer over the whole room and possibly two coats of paint ( I actually had to do this on a rental)
In one extreme case I had to re texture ( heavily re texture) a room because of the blood red paint and some indelible marker that bled through two coats of primer and two of paint) I have before and after pics
Still looking at $20? I don't think so.
Well let's move on.
What about the closet interiors? Are you gonna leave those. What about the baseboards and the casings. The door? The closet doors? The closet shelves. What about the ceiling.
And don't forget having to scrape and cut out old caulking and re caulking cracks or gaps around windows and trim.
Remember the walls casings trim etc will all require different paint, finishes and application methods and specific tools. Can't use a fuzzy roller on a gloss paint door.
You're right. Painting a a wall requires absolutely no "expertise"
Too bad a fresh cost of paint automatically shows all the other things that need painting like the baseboards, casings possible window trim closet doors and shelves and entry doors. And sometimes bone electrical trim sticks out so it needs to be replaced too. Anytime you paint something like a wall the other stuff will show as aged or frumpy. And patches and uneven texture shows up even more.
I have had the pleasure of seeing a homeowner paint job and a paint job done by a pro. A real pro not just Joe wanna be painter.

As for entitled. My day starts at 3:45 am and ends around 3:30 sometimes 5-8:30 pm. I know when to call in a pro to get a job I'm willing to stare at all day.

Not wanting or not having the money to go buy all the stuff to paint doesn't mean people shouldn't buy a house. The first house I bought I didn't have a lot of cash. In fact I was fairly tight. But in your opinion I should of rented or not bought. Yeah ok buddy. Great advice. Didn't stop me from buying. I still have that house it this day.

Buying and owning is the same. You buy you own. The bank doesn't pay taxes, repairs or makes the decision to sell or borrow. They dont get the tax deduction They simply use the house as collateral if you don't pay.

The housing market failed on a lot of counts. There was a lot of stupid going around on both sides of the table.

The way you are looking at the wallpaper removal is the way some look at a paint job

Quit talking out of your ass. $20 will get you a good roll of 3M painters tape and a good brush and that's about all it will get you.

They aren't boring. They just don't find your mint green and Arizona sunset color combo pleasing.

Cool then I hope you don't mind having buyers turn around and walk off not bidding or offering less.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-01-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What's amazing is your level of arrogance and dismissive attitude. There is painting ( slap paint on a wall call it a day) and there is painting correctly
LOL yup you left off the actual painting. Could write a novel on just paint application alone.

Applying it evenly, the right pressure, not bleeding over on the trim and ceiling, not leaving a wet edge.

This is why I never re-painted my condo to simply change the colors. The initial job was FLAWLESS. I mean perfection.

Not a day goes by that I don't think "Gee I'd like a different color in here but this guy really did such a great job I'm not painting over it until I HAVE TO." LOL

I wish I knew who it was. Thank you whoever you were, it's about 9 years and still perfect.

And yeah I'd never paint with anything other than Purdy brushes.

Reminds me of my first house, new construction. Within a year or so all the grout in the master bath was black. As it turns out it wasn't BLACK it was missing.

SO I think I'm so clever I can re-grout.

REALLY? Took me about 3 months of weekends to do it properly and got temporary carpel tunnel from it.

That winter I met a tile guy who said "Silly, I could have done that for $100.00."

Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Quit talking out of your ass.
In the time it took to type all that nonsense, you could have painted the bathroom.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,114 times
Quote:
Remove or place all furniture in the middle of the room.
Cover with tarps or plastic
Clean walls with degreaser or cleaning agent to get rid of waxes, grease, fingerprints, snot, blood, bodily fluids etc. You would be surprised what's on a wall.
Remove all electrical wall plates and mask off switches and outlets.
Mask off baseboards and wood casings.
Lay down plastic or drop cloths
Then patch all cracks nail holes maybe bigger holes dings dents and gouges/accidental damage
Now the patches need sanding
Gotta re texture the area you patched too
Well now you have to primer it. A fresh patch soaks and dries the paint at a different rate than a wall that has paint on it already.
Great now you're painting. If the color you're covering up is bad as in bleed through strength it MAY require two coats of primer over the whole room and possibly two coats of paint ( I actually had to do this on a rental)
In one extreme case I had to re texture ( heavily re texture) a room because of the blood red paint and some indelible marker that bled through two coats of primer and two of paint) I have before and after pics
Still looking at $20? I don't think so.
Well let's move on.
What about the closet interiors? Are you gonna leave those. What about the baseboards and the casings. The door? The closet doors? The closet shelves. What about the ceiling.
And don't forget having to scrape and cut out old caulking and re caulking cracks or gaps around windows and trim.
Remember the walls casings trim etc will all require different paint, finishes and application methods and specific tools. Can't use a fuzzy roller on a gloss paint door.
You're right. Painting a a wall requires absolutely no "expertise"
Too bad a fresh cost of paint automatically shows all the other things that need painting like the baseboards, casings possible window trim closet doors and shelves and entry doors. And sometimes bone electrical trim sticks out so it needs to be replaced too. Anytime you paint something like a wall the other stuff will show as aged or frumpy. And patches and uneven texture shows up even more.
I have had the pleasure of seeing a homeowner paint job and a paint job done by a pro. A real pro not just Joe wanna be painter.

As for entitled. My day starts at 3:45 am and ends around 3:30 sometimes 5-8:30 pm. I know when to call in a pro to get a job I'm willing to stare at all day.

Not wanting or not having the money to go buy all the stuff to paint doesn't mean people shouldn't buy a house. The first house I bought I didn't have a lot of cash. In fact I was fairly tight. But in your opinion I should of rented or not bought. Yeah ok buddy. Great advice. Didn't stop me from buying. I still have that house it this day.

Buying and owning is the same. You buy you own. The bank doesn't pay taxes, repairs or makes the decision to sell or borrow. They dont get the tax deduction They simply use the house as collateral if you don't pay.

The housing market failed on a lot of counts. There was a lot of stupid going around on both sides of the table.

The way you are looking at the wallpaper removal is the way some look at a paint job

Quit talking out of your ass. $20 will get you a good roll of 3M painters tape and a good brush and that's about all it will get you.

They aren't boring. They just don't find your mint green and Arizona sunset color combo pleasing.

Cool then I hope you don't mind having buyers turn around and walk off not bidding or offering less.
Don't forget the ceiling and crown moldings, you have to know how to cut in those edges and lines between ceiling and walls. I too, would not want to sink in an extra $10-15K painting a newly purchased house. I'ts time, work and money, those that say it's easy and cheap, are yes, talking out of their arse.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
As with anything else, it takes patience & practice and that's about it. It's not rocket science. IF you're just changing the color in a room in your own home, you don't have to do the whole spackle/repair/sand routine if you plan on putting your artwork, etc. back up the same spots. I'm not a professional painter at ALL (I'm an accountant, actually) but I've done enough painting in my life that I don't even need to mask off trim anymore. With a good quality brush & a steady hand, you can cut in around trim. That's how the "pros" do it. I've never seen a pro painter mask off trim. And if you're just changing wall colors, there's no need to paint all the trim. Now THAT is a PITA. Been there; done that. Not interested.

We're prepping our house to sell right now and we hired a painter to do all the main living areas of the house because of the tall ceilings, and becasue of HOW MUCH time it would've taken us. (we have 3 kids and both work full time) But while he was doing the foyer, halls, kitchen, living, dining rooms, I painted 2 bathrooms in 1 day that I took off work. Kids were at school, husband was at work. I already had my paint and supplies. So I started painting. A lot was in the prep...taking down mirrors, towel bars, TP holder, art, electric plates, etc. It's boring but it's not HARD. I think the main thing is people should fear painting. If you mess up, it's only paint! It can be fixed! I can understand hiring a pro for a big job or one that is difficult for your average home-owner (like we just did). But when I see/hear people complaining about a color in 1 bedroom of a house....give me a break! Quit your whining and give it a try! You might find that you actually ENJOY it! I do....it's a "mindless" activity, and I get some peace & quiet from everyone when I do it, and plus you get the added satisfaction of doing something yourself.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
should NOT fear painting....I left out a word!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM

466 posts, read 644,297 times
E4U, too funny and dead on. We just re-painted our dining room. It was the only color in our new house that had to go - a custom-blended bright teal that we couldn't even match for touch-ups if we wanted to, which we most certainly did not. It took two coats of primer and two coats of new paint. We screwed up the tape and you can still see the slightest line of teal in a few areas along the trim and crown molding. PIA. We've hired a pro to re-do the living room, and while he's at it, to re-do the trim in the dining room. There's nothing in this world I hate more than painting trim. And I certainly don't have arm strength to properly paint a ceiling.

The house is painted a different color in every single room. Other than the dining room, most are tasteful neutrals. Some I wouldn't mind re-doing, but I can live with them. The paint job was well done, so we'll leave it. Other than the living room which was done in a medium brown, which I call the "poop box". Hence hiring the pro. But we can't justify spending the money to re-do the other rooms. I'm very glad the house is pretty much all tastefully and neutrally painted.

Not everyone has the time to paint, or the physical ability to paint quickly.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I prefer a more neutral palette in a house I am buying so that I have the option on whether or not to paint if I don't care for the colors or they don't match my furniture and other decor items. I did buy a house that had awful paint colors - dark, ugly, sponge technique, etc. and I took that into consideration in my offer as I knew I'd also have to pay for painting before moving in.

And to those who think "all you need is a bucket of paint" - paint colors aside, you are turning off some buyers who aren't satisfied with a subpar paint job regardless of the colors. If I have to paint edges and baseboard, etc. because things weren't done properly, that would also be a factor in my decision on whether to buy and how much to offer. You don't have to sell to me, of course, but a lot depends on your market and how many other potential buyers are out there. Motivated sellers in a buyers market need to do more to sell their house, period. If you don't care and can wait longer or if you are in a sellers market, you have more leeway over the condition your house is in when you go to sell.
In our local market, due to the lack of inventory, bad paint jobs and odd colors are having virtually no impact on the marketing time or price. Maybe in your market buyers can afford to be picky, but not here.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Most of our interiors were cottage white, but the last house, before this one, we walked on the wild side and I chose a pale yellow. With the dark wood work in a Northern home, moldings, etc., it looked so nice. Depends on house, where it's at, furniture, etc. I'm kinda tired of neutrals personally.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
.......Cool, then at the closing I'll credit you the $10 you'll need to spend repainting that one wall. ......
$10? When I am buying, I knock a couple of thousand dollars off of my offer if any of the paint is a color that will take multiple coats to cover. That bright red wall or hair roller pink bathroom will cost you more than $10.

I get those houses for a couple thousand off what I would have paid, too, because no other buyer wants them with their difficult colors.

I can make a beige or white room into any color I want with the use of throw pillows, colored upholstery, wall hangings, and a throw rug or two. If I don't like neon lime green walls, there really is nothing to do that changes that room color except to paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate