Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 02:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I was 24. A 3 bed 2 bath 1500sqft ranch for $106k with an 80/20 no down payment mortgage. Sold 12 years later for $107k...gotta love that midwest appreciation.

Never moved back to my parents after leaving for college at 18. Got an apartment with a roommate at 20 and moved out of dorms.
Sounds like my situation - was a 2/1 with a USDA loan - but else, same/same. If you are buying cheap-cheap-cheap and can make a 2 bedroom or otherwise small home work, that no one else will touch, you're at a cost advantage, even if you see little to no appreciation. It can do wonders for your cashflow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 02:38 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sounds like my situation - was a 2/1 with a USDA loan - but else, same/same. If you are buying cheap-cheap-cheap and can make a 2 bedroom or otherwise small home work, that no one else will touch, you're at a cost advantage, even if you see little to no appreciation. It can do wonders for your cashflow.
That was pretty much just the going rate for a nice house in suburbia in Dayton, OH not particularly cheap for the market.

But that roommate of mine moved and bought down in Austin and saw six figure equity gains over the same period. There’s a real opportunity cost to living in a stagnant market.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That was pretty much just the going rate for a nice house in suburbia in Dayton, OH not particularly cheap for the market.

But that roommate of mine moved and bought down in Austin and saw six figure equity gains over the same period. There’s a real opportunity cost to living in a stagnant market.
If there was a career move to be made, it could be worth it. Home prices, property tax rates (Texas is brutal), and salary bump all considered. You can then cash out on those returns if you move back to somewhere cheap if you stay in the local market it's likely your next home has appreciated similarly, too.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:58 PM

22,226 posts, read 19,238,916 times
two different things.
"bought your own home" is not the same as "moved out on your own"

come to think of it, "moved out" is not the same thing either as "moved out on your own"

20 when i moved out and got married.
but was not really moved out on my own until age 34 when I got divorced.

bought a home when i was 22 with my then husband.
bought my own home at age 34 after the divorce.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
I joined the Navy in 1950 at the age of 19 when my draft notice was in the post office. I was discharged in July 1954 at age of 23, and bought a newly built home in the Silicon valley a year later.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:38 PM

779 posts, read 424,972 times
I bought my first house in 2015 when I was 30. Most of my 20s I wasn't in a position financially to buy a place. I would say around 27-28 I was financially there, but home ownership wasn't a priority at that time. I probably would have waited longer, had one of my friends not been moving. It wasn't that I was against buying, I just didn't have any reasons (or didn't explore the reasons) why I should buy. It started as "Hey, you should buy my house!" part joking part serious. It got a conversation going about home ownership, pros and cons. I started doing my own research and talking to other friends & family about it. And decided to pull the trigger. I was fine with apartment living, it was the financial aspects that did it for me. For a number of reasons I didn't end up buying friend's house, but I did buy a house.

I'm glad I had that event that triggered my path to buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate