Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 02:11 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Better than new is a fairly new home that the seller has put in back landscaping, window treatments, water softening system, etc. All things that are not normally included in a new home.

Blinds, outdoor kitchen, fencing, pool, landscaping, kid's plays etc, deck extensions, screen porch, finished basement or attic, garage enhancements.
Whatever is upgraded after purchase, and, yes, the house should be less than 2 years old with less than a year old preferred. And all done properly and professionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 08:37 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, only a few of those are cliche descriptors... most are, according to you, just bad misrepresentations.

Truth is, the property description is my least favorite part of putting a listing together. I've never been good at flowery language. Many of the things that we ~could~ use that space for that used to be cliches, now aren't allowed, like references to mother-in-law apartments, great places for kids, proximity to schools, master bedrooms or baths, or walking distance to anything.
What is wrong with mentioning walking distance in Washington? I have a bum knee myself; however, I'd still like to know about walking distance and I want to include it in the copy for my California house when I am ready to sell. Most people want to know about walking distance, especially millennials and other buyers who want ready access to downtowns without a car. That's one of the most often cited desires of younger and/or first-time buyers nowadays.

What is your source for the listing copy prohibitions you cited?

I found a 2014 Opinion piece in the Washington Examiner, entitled "You can't say that ... in a real estate ad!", which can be found here:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/y...real-estate-ad

That source is just an opinion article, so I went to the Washington State Department of Licensing to the Real Estate advertising sub-section and downloaded a pdf file entitled "Real Estate Advertising Guidelines" and the words "distance," "in-law," "bachelor" (and some others you mentioned), do not appear.

Since you are far more knowledgeable about Washington real estate guidelines, including advertising properties than I, if you would link to your state's official rules, I would appreciate that.

And to all realtors here, what prohibitions does your state have?

Old 10-04-2021, 05:17 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What is wrong with mentioning walking distance in Washington? I have a bum knee myself; however, I'd still like to know about walking distance and I want to include it in the copy for my California house when I am ready to sell. Most people want to know about walking distance, especially millennials and other buyers who want ready access to downtowns without a car. That's one of the most often cited desires of younger and/or first-time buyers nowadays.

What is your source for the listing copy prohibitions you cited?

I found a 2014 Opinion piece in the Washington Examiner, entitled "You can't say that ... in a real estate ad!", which can be found here:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/y...real-estate-ad

That source is just an opinion article, so I went to the Washington State Department of Licensing to the Real Estate advertising sub-section and downloaded a pdf file entitled "Real Estate Advertising Guidelines" and the words "distance," "in-law," "bachelor" (and some others you mentioned), do not appear.

Since you are far more knowledgeable about Washington real estate guidelines, including advertising properties than I, if you would link to your state's official rules, I would appreciate that.

And to all realtors here, what prohibitions does your state have?
The issue with "walking distance" is a potential interpretation of insensitivity to folks with mobility limitations.
Some firms may stress this more than others, and seek to avoid slighting people.
Similarly with "master suite, master bedroom, master bath," or other terms which may cause offense.
I am unaware of any specific formal regulation, just seeing a bit of consideration of unintended connotations.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:12 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The issue with "walking distance" is a potential interpretation of insensitivity to folks with mobility limitations.
Some firms may stress this more than others, and seek to avoid slighting people.
Similarly with "master suite, master bedroom, master bath," or other terms which may cause offense.
I am unaware of any specific formal regulation, just seeing a bit of consideration of unintended connotations.

Agreed, the term walking distance for a potential client in a wheelchair might be considered offensive. We do live in a PC (Politically Correct) society. It may not be a written rule or regulation, but more like a guideline or recommendation.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, will sellers and their realtors have to forego mentioning steps and stairs altogether, or single story houses, which have no stairs, too?

How about "bicycle distance" and/or "bicycle lanes"? Bicycling is very painful for some people. Others cannot bicycle at all.

As a person with a very bad knee, I cannot manage stairs. I have a step-down family room and even that step causes me discomfort. Nevertheless, I don't feel slighted by having "walking distance," steps, stairs, etc. mentioned in marketing copy or by anyone, anytime.

It's information I need to have to make a decision about purchasing real estate or about visiting buildings, etc.

I can understand the change away from "master" to "owner" or "primary," but not mentioning walking distance, stairs, etc. is ridiculous.

It would never occur to me, as a physically disabled person myself, that "walking distance" could possibly be offensive.

What's next, "memory"?

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 10-04-2021 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Agreed, the term walking distance for a potential client in a wheelchair might be considered offensive. We do live in a PC (Politically Correct) society. It may not be a written rule or regulation, but more like a guideline or recommendation.
I sometimes use a wheelchair (my own) or other store-owned motorized scooter (for longer distances over hard surfaces, such as in a grocery store) and "walking distance" is not the least bit offensive to me.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:48 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I sometimes use a wheelchair (my own) or other store-owned motorized scooter (for longer distances over hard surfaces, such as in a grocery store) and "walking distance" is not the least bit offensive to me.
With all due respect, although you may not feel it is offensive, some may feel otherwise. You can't claim to speak for the entire physically challenged community.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
With all due respect, although you may not feel it is offensive, some may feel otherwise. You can't claim to speak for the entire physically challenged community.
I didn't.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:16 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
"Come take a look at this newly remodeled masterpiece."
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...13293977_zpid/
Oh, and it is just a few houses away from I-70.
$700K for a 1541 sqft flip.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:22 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Come take a look at this newly remodeled masterpiece."
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...13293977_zpid/
Oh, and it is just a few houses away from I-70.
$700K for a 1541 sqft flip.

3 beds and 3 baths in 1541 sq ft??? That's "cozy" all right! Tiny lot, exterior is ugly as sin, but I do like the tile job on the shower/tub. Built in 1940; I bet it still has ungrounded outlets & original plumbing. I wonder how old the HVAC is, too. Flippers don't generally improve things that don't have bling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate