Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 10:47 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post

I don’t like it if the listing says move in ready and you see a house that looks like a hoarder lives there, A unique property and it’s a dump.
If it sits on the market for a few months, you may be looking at a unique buying opportunity. People hate ugly. But ugliness often hides great deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 11:14 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
If it sits on the market for a few months, you may be looking at a unique buying opportunity. People hate ugly. But ugliness often hides great deals.
Sounds just like one of those cliches as in the thread title.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:22 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sounds just like one of those cliches as in the thread title.
Yeah, but it's true. Don't listen to me; any experienced flipper will tell you so.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
"good bones" - it's a total dump

Old 09-13-2021, 12:30 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,360,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Yeah, but it's true. Don't listen to me; any experienced flipper will tell you so.
I am not disagreeing with you.

I once bought an apartment in a 4 unit building that was not pleasant to look at but was dramatically turned around when I finished with it. Still renting it out and earning a nice income from it considering I paid so little for it and did most of the work myself.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,776,914 times
Mine is, "Modeled after Versailles".

You see it in listing-after-listing. And now that even once-fine magazines like Town & Country and Architectural Digest have become sleazy rags, you see thinly-disguised real estate ads in them, cluelessly touting any architectural monstrosity with even vaguely neoclassical details, as being "replicas of Versailles".

https://www.google.com/search?q=mans...h=487&dpr=1.71

When we were shopping Old Westbury, about a decade back, the only two openly-listed homes which caught my eye, turned out to have been described, in listings, with Versailles-derived terms. One was finally revealed to be Victoria Gotti's neo-Roman pile (which I'd mistaken for a badly-renovated Beaux Arts number from the '20s), and Bernie Madoff's brother's excessively-understated Depression-era French Provincial home (with tacky Twentieth Century Contemporary pool area). (and yes, the experience also taught me that on that end of Long Island, anything worth having, is going to have a soft listing - for which I'll need Warburg, and that there's something seriously wrong with me, if houses like those two, jump out at me, from among a host of candidates)

Neither being French, nor being neoclassical, makes something "Versailles". And there are plenty of neoclassical French buildings, besides those at Versailles, which can (and do) serve as precedents and inspiration to designers. This has been the case, for centuries.

Versailles is, for the most part, entirely unoriginal, and mostly inferior to the greater architectural triumphs of France. It was built by a family of hoodlums, who had usurped their nation's legitimate ruling classes. The palace was built, mostly in haste, using exceptionally exploitative labor practices. And frankly, it's not that attractive. I've spent plenty of time there - both on VIP tours, and as a guest at entertainments. I'm sorry. It's just not that wonderful. It's the architecture of totalitarianism, and is every bit as klutzy as the worst palaces in Saint Petersburg.

Realtors have no idea how insulting it is, to potential buyers of important homes, to have kindergarten-level terms inappropriately thrown at us. And "Versailles" is the worst of the worst of those terms. The word makes us feel sleazy. It makes us feel stupid and uneducated. "Modeled after Versailles", makes us wonder whether something might be wrong with our taste.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:11 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've always taken that to mean "dated."

Similar with "pride in ownership shows" or something of that nature...'This house was maintained by a Bob Vila acolyte who has the aesthetic sensibilities of Al Borland."

Old 09-16-2021, 07:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
“In case it’s not clear yet, the language of real estate listings is bogged down in secret rules and code words. It’s a language where 'modern' means the opposite, and 'unique' is just about the worst thing you could be.” ____Spencer Rascoff, Zillow CEO

Old 09-16-2021, 11:39 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

No.... total dump = "value is in the land"

"good bones" means it's really dated but not rotten.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-16-2021 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 12:10 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Oh my God! What do you use in place of these? Walking or rolling distance? Extra living area for non-binary person?

I used to work in our newspaper's classified department back in the 1970's. Things have certainly changed!
Don't use = Use instead

New/Better than new (My least favorite of all is better than new. What's better than new even mean?) - Roof replaced Sept 2021.
Walking distance to school - .5 miles to school.
Master suite = owners suite
Perfect for first time buyer/executive home/empty nester/downsizer/growing family = Don't say anything about who the perfect buyer is at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate