Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:16 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,927,255 times

Advertisements

Done properly, the description gives the buyer an idea what to expect and helps him select properties to view.

A description that is too far from reality will alienate anyone who actually views the property. Indeed, if it happens enough a buyer may start avoiding properties from a particular listing agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 06:42 PM

781 posts, read 744,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
WOW. What on earth CAN you say? Talk about being hobbled! What is wrong with "walk to everything"? Or mother-in-law apartments? I heard about the family stuff but sheesh!!!!
Yup, I ran into "walk to everything" with my rental home! I was annoyed I couldn't put that in the advertisement. I appreciate my property manager though, he has been worth the cost.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:03 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
"sweet". As in "sweet 1920s bungalow..."

Generally, this means if you have larger furniture, it will not fit inside.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:39 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Done properly, the description gives the buyer an idea what to expect and helps him select properties to view.

A description that is too far from reality will alienate anyone who actually views the property. Indeed, if it happens enough a buyer may start avoiding properties from a particular listing agent.
Lots of truth in this.

We have a local agent that has the frothiest of descriptions and tries for the bidding war on every single house she posts. She then proceeds to update the "bids due date" when they don't get any bids, or any bids they like.

What's worse is that she initially posts her homes on a Friday and says "bids due by end of day Saturday", then proceeds to say all showings are booked, in what I'm guessing is an attempt for buyers to put bids in sight unseen.

Sometimes she catches a sucker, but often times her homes sit for 6-8 weeks in a market where homes typically sell in 2-3.

I refuse to do business with her or look at any of her properties because I know she's underhanded and tries to manipulate buyers.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:30 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Unique
Spacious

Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
We know that real estate agents love to talk things up. What are the most cliché descriptors and bad representations that you can't stand seeing?

Recently, it seems every listing has:

"highly sought after"
"mid-century modern" when describing anything with wood paneling
"shiplap" when describing anything with wood paneling
"new roof" 10 years ago
"recently renovated" 15 years ago
"beautiful new wood floor" stick down vinyl
"beautiful new tile" stick down vinyl
"luxury vinyl plank" slightly less cheap stick down vinyl
"bids due by" a moving date that gets updated every few days
Vinyl plank isn't stuck down. It's a "floating" floor. The pieces lock in to one another. No glue. Just sayin'.

"Luxury" probably just means it isn't the one cheapest per sf at Lowe's.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:30 AM

532 posts, read 446,915 times
a Short Sale
you are gonna have a very LONG wait to see if your offer is accepted

actually a bank term I guess but I wasted a few months with this

Old 09-08-2021, 04:07 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
one of the funniest was from the simpsons-
marge gets her realtor license.

https://youtu.be/MbYJzf4DBtQ

The cliche descriptions are within the dialogue.

Enjoy!!

Old 09-08-2021, 08:06 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,759,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
A common cliche is the dreaded, "Fixer-Upper".

I think the term "luxury vinyl plank" was invented by the flooring industry so it wouldn't sound cheap and not coined by the realty industry. Don't get me wrong, I have it installed in my home and I like the look, feel and durability of the product.
“a little elbow grease and imagination” is replacing fixer-upper, putting the onus on the buyer. It’s only their lack of hard work and vision holding them back.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:01 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
One important consideration on these terms is that some of them like “fixer” are common terms that people (investors and flippers) might be searching for. There is benefit in everybody using the same words for things - that does not mean they are necessarily a cliché in the derogatory sense :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate