Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 11:54 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Lots of people change their mind or fail to qualify for their financing, at no fault to the seller (or the house)

Even some houses that come back because of inspection issues might be just fine for a different buyer with a bigger budget or better aptitude for the kind of repairs it needs.

Every buyer needs to do their own due diligence whether it's "back on market", or not.

Sooner of later, those homes sell, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 03:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, only a few of those are cliche descriptors... most are, according to you, just bad misrepresentations.

Truth is, the property description is my least favorite part of putting a listing together. I've never been good at flowery language. Many of the things that we ~could~ use that space for that used to be cliches, now aren't allowed, like references to mother-in-law apartments, great places for kids, proximity to schools, master bedrooms or baths, or walking distance to anything.
I prefer to stick to the bottom line. I get annoyed by the flowery text I have to wade through

Old 09-11-2021, 03:34 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I prefer to stick to the bottom line. I get annoyed by the flowery text I have to wade through
Agreed, I don't want to have to put on my rubber boots (nice way to say what I really mean) to get to the truth.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:23 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times
"Doll house" = small hovel

"Handyman's Special" = Hovel of any size

Old 09-12-2021, 06:07 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
I like the phrase immaculate if it truly is. When looking for a home I want one that says immaculate, mrs clean lives here. I don’t want to go see a home that smells, or is dirty. I have noticed there are agents that are honest in their listings, it’s not flowery they are describing the home as it is.

I don’t like it if the listing says move in ready and you see a house that looks like a hoarder lives there, A unique property and it’s a dump.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:19 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Years ago when my parents were looking for a house 'out in the country' a phrase that became an inside joke was when a house was listed as 'having possibilities' Even after they bought a 1930s farm house on 2 acres that needed a lot of work we would drive past a weed covered abandoned house with the roof caved in and someone would say 'Look it has possibilities'. The joke has carried on to the next generation. My nephew bought a house that was barely standing and when we asked him at a family get together he said 'it has lots of possibilities' -- He bought it planning on tearing it down (but the well is good)

Old 09-12-2021, 09:00 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Years ago when my parents were looking for a house 'out in the country' a phrase that became an inside joke was when a house was listed as 'having possibilities' Even after they bought a 1930s farm house on 2 acres that needed a lot of work we would drive past a weed covered abandoned house with the roof caved in and someone would say 'Look it has possibilities'. The joke has carried on to the next generation. My nephew bought a house that was barely standing and when we asked him at a family get together he said 'it has lots of possibilities' -- He bought it planning on tearing it down (but the well is good)
lol, lolfunny anecdote, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:25 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
"charming" irritates me. It usually means "tiny" or "hasn't been updated in 50 years".

And yeah, "bring your highest and best offer by...." turns me off. I immediately close the window with that listing and move on to the next. Not interested in the realtor's pretend bidding war.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:30 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
And yeah, "bring your highest and best offer by...." turns me off. I immediately close the window with that listing and move on to the next. Not interested in the realtor's pretend bidding war.
Unfortunately for everyone of your intelligence, there is another mouth breather that falls for the trap.

If it weren't for knuckle draggers, real estate agents, and "bad neighborhoods" that everyone is running from, I'm sure house prices would be half of what they are today.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:47 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
"charming" irritates me. It usually means "tiny" or "hasn't been updated in 50 years".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Unfortunately for everyone of your intelligence, there is another mouth breather that falls for the trap.

If it weren't for knuckle draggers, real estate agents, and "bad neighborhoods" that everyone is running from, I'm sure house prices would be half of what they are today.
You two can hardly be serious with this little quibble about "highest and best." Well actually, I never use the words but there is a nationwide housing inventory shortage, with demand vastly outstripping supply. Multiple offer situations are more common than not.

It is a professional courtesy and a FAVOR that a listing agent tells you there is a deadline for offers and that you only will have one shot at it.
I just sold a listing, and got whined at by an agent who complained that he wasn't told there was a deadline for offers.
Absolutely, the vast majority of the time I see that terminology, the property goes under contract within a day or two from the deadline. And, I have buyers miss on too many houses because there are multiple offers that beat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate