Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 05:47 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Cozy - small
Quaint - hasn't ben updated since the 40's
Unique - odd as hell
Up and coming - high crime area
Handyman special - money pit
Add your personal touches - Like paint, flooring, and a a new roof
Amen so true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 05:53 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
Generous size secondary bedrooms…lol they are small, functional tile entryway…why not just say tile in kitchen , bathrooms and entry way, A pass through window…opens to living room. It’s a small area Obote sink that looks into living room. Sizeable back yard entire property is 4704 sq ft. There is nothing sizeable about Thai yard.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
What is an Obote sink or a Thai yard ?

Old 09-23-2021, 11:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,646,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
We know that real estate agents love to talk things up. What are the most cliché descriptors and bad representations that you can't stand seeing?

Recently, it seems every listing has:

"highly sought after"
"mid-century modern" when describing anything with wood paneling
"shiplap" when describing anything with wood paneling
"new roof" 10 years ago
"recently renovated" 15 years ago
"beautiful new wood floor" stick down vinyl
"beautiful new tile" stick down vinyl
"luxury vinyl plank" slightly less cheap stick down vinyl
"bids due by" a moving date that gets updated every few days
In the same way that there are singers who reach 7/8 of the note and others only achieve 3/8, there are also realtors who exaggerate and others who very professionally disclose properly the reality of a piece of real estate, worth the redundancy.

In my case (I can only speak for myself) when I describe a roof, I always attach its age. In the same way that you choose your dentist, your mechanic, your lawyer, your doctor, your accountant or your hairdresser, always look for the references and the reviews or simply interview with several of them to make your best selection in a personal way.

It is also necessary that if you are going to sell or buy, at least interview 3 realtors and ask them to show you copies of the descriptions that they have made of properties that they have had for sale in recent times and that way you can rectify an improper selection in time.

It is also highly advisable that when you request the service of a realtor, you do not make him work for pleasure showing you properties and then go to another realtor.

We do not work for free and we only charge for our effort, dedication, honesty, commitment and work when the client is loyal and we close the sale and purchase transaction.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:06 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
I just read a listing in where the description included that the house had been power washed in 2021, and the HVAC service in 2020.

The place wasn't a show piece, but still it seems like the realtor could have come up with something better than this.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Mopped floors last Tuesday!

Old 09-25-2021, 09:01 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You two can hardly be serious with this little quibble about "highest and best." Well actually, I never use the words but there is a nationwide housing inventory shortage, with demand vastly outstripping supply. Multiple offer situations are more common than not.

It is a professional courtesy and a FAVOR that a listing agent tells you there is a deadline for offers and that you only will have one shot at it.
I just sold a listing, and got whined at by an agent who complained that he wasn't told there was a deadline for offers.
Absolutely, the vast majority of the time I see that terminology, the property goes under contract within a day or two from the deadline. And, I have buyers miss on too many houses because there are multiple offers that beat them.

It's not a little quibble and I've seen one too many houses listed with that "highest and best" nonsense, still on the market months later. So maybe where you sell it means something, but not necessarily where I am looking to buy.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:56 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Long range views - Not a tree on the lot
Must see to believe - absolutely accurate
Walking distance - for Usain Bolt maybe
Lovingly maintained - tile countertops and avocado appliances.
Buyers to verify permits - unpermitted addition or garage conversion.
Secluded - miles from anything down dirt roads, your GPS will be of no use.
Unique urban setting - Used to be a service station. UHaul rentals next door.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-26-2021 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-26-2021, 01:09 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Long range views - Not a tree on the lot
Must see to believe - absolutely accurate
Walking distance - for Usain Bolt maybe
Lovingly maintained - tile countertops and avocado appliances.
Buyers to verify permits - unpermitted addition or garage conversion.
Secluded - miles from anything down dirt roads, your GPS will be of no use.
Unique urban setting - Used to be a service station. UHaul rentals next door.

I like these!

Old 09-28-2021, 08:38 PM

319 posts, read 199,241 times
Park-like grounds - mostly unusable front/backyard, hell to mow and maintain, lots of trees and leaves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate