Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 11:30 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times

Advertisements

We know that real estate agents love to talk things up. What are the most cliché descriptors and bad representations that you can't stand seeing?

Recently, it seems every listing has:

"highly sought after"
"mid-century modern" when describing anything with wood paneling
"shiplap" when describing anything with wood paneling
"new roof" 10 years ago
"recently renovated" 15 years ago
"beautiful new wood floor" stick down vinyl
"beautiful new tile" stick down vinyl
"luxury vinyl plank" slightly less cheap stick down vinyl
"bids due by" a moving date that gets updated every few days

Last edited by Lockdev; 09-07-2021 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 11:38 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Well, only a few of those are cliche descriptors... most are, according to you, just bad misrepresentations.

Truth is, the property description is my least favorite part of putting a listing together. I've never been good at flowery language. Many of the things that we ~could~ use that space for that used to be cliches, now aren't allowed, like references to mother-in-law apartments, great places for kids, proximity to schools, master bedrooms or baths, or walking distance to anything.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:57 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
cozy = smaller than typical homes in this neighborhood
starter home = see above
quaint = see above
up and coming = still somewhat dangerous but the artsy folks are moving in
oasis = tiny pond in the backyard
abode = IDK why these use this, but bothers me everytime

Old 09-07-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, only a few of those are cliche descriptors... most are, according to you, just bad misrepresentations.

Truth is, the property description is my least favorite part of putting a listing together. I've never been good at flowery language. Many of the things that we ~could~ use that space for that used to be cliches, now aren't allowed, like references to mother-in-law apartments, great places for kids, proximity to schools, master bedrooms or baths, or walking distance to anything.
Let's add bad misrepresentations to the list then.

And I still call rooms "master bedroom" and "master bathroom". Real estate agents in my area call them that too. I'm so glad there are still places that have the balls to tell the PC police to go to hell.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:

I think the "flowery language" is used to make the seller feel good about the listing.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I think the "flowery language" is used to make the seller feel good about the listing.
This. I don't think they realize that it does nothing but make potential buyers roll their eyes.

Sure, you're going to get that one room temperature IQ person that gets caught up in the emotion, but the majority of us just feel like they're overselling it.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:25 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
A common cliche is the dreaded, "Fixer-Upper".

I think the term "luxury vinyl plank" was invented by the flooring industry so it wouldn't sound cheap and not coined by the realty industry. Don't get me wrong, I have it installed in my home and I like the look, feel and durability of the product.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
"Mrs. Clean Lives Here"
"Darling"

What does darling describe in your opinion?

"Location, location, location"

The listing for my current house opens with the three L's, describing a crappy house in a great spot. Fortunately, it has become less crappy over time.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:56 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:

WOW. What on earth CAN you say? Talk about being hobbled! What is wrong with "walk to everything"? Or mother-in-law apartments? I heard about the family stuff but sheesh!!!!

Old 09-07-2021, 04:01 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
WOW. What on earth CAN you say? Talk about being hobbled! What is wrong with "walk to everything"? Or mother-in-law apartments? I heard about the family stuff but sheesh!!!!

Walking distance discriminates against those who can't walk.

Mother-in-law discriminates against non-traditional families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate