Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 01:48 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Walking distance discriminates against those who can't walk.

Mother-in-law discriminates against non-traditional families.
Oh my God! What do you use in place of these? Walking or rolling distance? Extra living area for non-binary person?

I used to work in our newspaper's classified department back in the 1970's. Things have certainly changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 02:02 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Sadly, in this day and age we have to be PC (politically correct). Instead of "walking distance" you can say "close proximity" instead. And so on and so on. Isn't it fun ??

Old 09-09-2021, 02:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Quaint implies unusual per the definition of the word. So its fair. It has positive connotations, which is to be expected for an advertisement.
I see that and I think "word vomit. If its highly sought after I'm already seeking it."
Can't say that I've seen that...MCM was very influential in the US for houses built after WW2...and lets be honest, MCM isn't always attractive. Hallmarks include clean simple lines and an absence of embellishment; features that lend it to cutting costs, and can look barren, plain and dated.
I've only ever seen shiplap used to describe rabbeted boards as a wall/ceiling.
What kind of roof? I have neighbors with metal roofs that are 10 years old, I'd consider that better than a 2 year old shingle roof.
How old is the house? If the house is 30 years old, I'd call BS. If the house is 90+, I think its fair especially if its done tastefully and doesn't look dated or cheap.
Never seen that, those are factual misrepresentations
From vocabulary.com:

There is a commonly used sarcastic sense of quaint — when something is run down or shabby and you're trying to say something positive, you might substitute "How...quaint" for "How...interesting." In Middle English, this adjective meant "clever" or "cunning." Its origin is Old French queinte, cointe, from Latin cognitus "known," from cognōscere "to learn."

Old 09-09-2021, 07:28 PM

1,057 posts, read 547,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sadly, in this day and age we have to be PC (politically correct). Instead of "walking distance" you can say "close proximity" instead. And so on and so on. Isn't it fun ??
What if you put a specific number of steps required to get to whatever? Watch House Hunters and you'll learn that bars and restaurants are the most sought after neighborhood features .

Old 09-09-2021, 07:44 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
What if you put a specific number of steps required to get to whatever? Watch House Hunters and you'll learn that bars and restaurants are the most sought after neighborhood features .
Can't say that. Might offend someone in a wheelchair who lost their legs in an accident. Gotta be PC.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:29 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Just came across this in a novel I'm reading...

A “charmer,” in Realtor-ese, meaning small. It had “lots of character,” which meant the floor plan made little sense and the fixtures were old. It was also in an “up-and-coming” neighborhood, which meant we’d be paying top dollar even though the shops to either side were kind of . . . well . . . dumpy.

In tech, it's called "Turning a bug into a feature."

Last edited by steiconi; 09-09-2021 at 09:55 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 08:43 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,110 times
Exaggerated language is a sales persons specialty.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:43 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
You should see UK real estate (estate agents) listings. Most of them just full of so much BS.

“Conveniently located” = The property is on a main road, next to the post office, opposite the school and there’s a Co-Op around the corner. It’s close to everything!

“Bijou” = There are no two ways about it, this property is tiny.

“Cosy” = There’s about enough space to swing a cat – realistically, a small kitten.

“Catchment area” = There’s a good school. Be prepared to go into battle with pushy parents for a place for your precious ones.

“Easy-to-maintain” = It’s small. Cleaning and decorating this place won’t take you long at all.

“Low maintenance garden” = Concrete.

“Well connected” = A bus rolls through your village every fourth Thursday and there’s a trusty taxi to take you to the train station in a neighbouring town.

“Period” = Old. Think beams, low ceilings and cricked necks.

“Charming” = Old and probably (definitely) on the small side.

“Upcoming area” = This neck of the woods is still a little rough around the edges but in a few years your property will be worth a heck of a lot more. Now’s the time to invest!

“Rural” = Think Emmerdale only fewer buses and even fewer people, however, the sheep population is booming…

“Viewing recommended” = It might not look great from the outside but inside there’s a wealth of space and potential.

“Quirky” = This property is far from your standard two-up-two-down terraced. Think different architecture, art-deco or even a treehouse!

“Reduced” = No one’s shown any interest and the owner is so desperate to sell the house he’s giving it away!

“Sought-after area” = It’s over-priced and popular. Be prepared to part with some serious cash.

“Put your own stamp on it” = Get your hard hat on. There’s work to be done. A lot of it.

“No onward chain” = The previous occupant has gone or they’re selling to a property buyer, either way, you’ll be able to move in straight away.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
There are some gems in the agent remarks, too. My favorite: "easy to show. call for details" I call and am told I must book 24 hours in advance and drive to another city to pick up the keys and must promptly return them when showing is finished.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:49 AM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,390 times
I hate the ones that turn into a novel!

There’s a house on my street for sale going on 3 months, it went pending twice. In the description they have “Back on the market, previous buyers couldn’t secure funding”. Not sure how I feel about that….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate