Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes, I agree! Also, if she is as sweet as you say she is, the suggestion of such a thing could immediately terminate the relationship. You're not the only one who would be put off with behavior such as this. I know that young ladies such as this are a rarity, but they DO exist. The easiest thing in the world for young men and young women to do in today's society, is to "go with the crowd", in order to appear normal. I applaud anyone who breaks from that norm, stays true to their heart and believes that there really is someone perfect out there for them. It's one of the hardest things to do...believe, with all of your heart, that your soul mate is out there.....and actually have the strength and patience to wait for that soul mate...the one who has been being prepared for you, until the time is exactly right for you to meet.
Thanks my friend! I agree with you, 100% on what you had cited above. (Lol, I tried to rep you, but the rep thingy said I had to rep other C-D users first, b/4 I could rep you again )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
So Knight, why don't you get on a plane at your earliest, fly out to the West Coast, stay in a room a mile off the ground, a brigade of ground level armed security forces to secure your safety, bring only credit cards and travelers checks, meet her across the street in a well lit restaurant, the location of which you don't disclose until no more than five minutes beforehand.. Ok, half kidding. The only argument I heard so far that would give me pause is the legal age thing; so tricky though. I guess you have to request a photo ID! I'd just say you go to her. The other things that people are cautioning you on could happen regardless of how you met. Just be smart, don't give her your security pin number until you know her a lot better.
Haha, thx again for the great advice there Mr. Humble Yes I hope to visit her sometime soon, but I guess I will also have to save up some travel funds first, also (Currently kinda broke atm! )

Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It is fairly easy to look people up on Intelius--for free they will usually give an age, city and the names of other possible relatives.
That's an excellent idea -- something I may actually be interested in checking out some more info on

Quote:
Also it is hard for people with a Facebook account they use regularly to hide very much--does she have one?
She doesn't currently use facebook.

Quote:
Knight, have you Googled her?
Yes, but nothing really that concrete in terms of search hits came up regarding her specifically, after googling her. Which I guess makes me even more interested in checking out the Intelius option, just to ensure that her name is actually what she lists it as...just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
And I am still note sure what you meant by a caring heart. How does this translate into real, living, human behavior? Does she just tell you she loves you non stop? Or Does she rescue abused animals and viisit senior citizens? Is that what you mean?
All I'm really saying, is that she has a remarkably kind-hearted and super-affectionate demeanor, in her verbal and written communication styles. One that I find extremely appealing.

Quote:
I am sure there is much more to her than being sweet. Temperament is a small part of who we are as humans. What is her stance on politics, the environment, gun control? Does she get along with her family? Is she satisfied with her direction in life? What sorts of things does she complain about?
Haha...some of the things you mentioned above, I have already talked to her about (such as more info about her family). Other things, such as politics / related, we haven't really talked that much about yet -- I thought that was the kind of thing (politics, religion, a few others) that was mostly taboo conversation topics, for most ppl (j/k) But whenever she and I do talk, it is so wonderful and amazing. I don't know of a single other girl, like her that I've ever met, so far in my life.

Quote:
See what I am trying to say, without coming right out and saying it?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
For one, you're going to have to figure out which one of you will move.

Ultimately, that should be your biggest concern.

After you meet, if it is still everything you've hoped for, the distance is going to become an enormous obstacle for the both of you. You will both be that much more in love and entangled with one another, and the reality of it all is going to be a huge blow. It will come down to one of you relocating or ending the relationship.

You have to keep it real.

Good Luck!
Not to worry -- she has said several times that she would be happy to move and relocate to be close to me, when she and I are ready for that stage in the relationship. In the meantime and until that happens, I am willing to do whatever it takes, to deal with the distance factor

Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I guess I just figured that I could trust her, until she gives me a reason to think otherwise. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.:
I think that's a foolish thing to do given all that you don't know.

Quote:
But what would you suggest I do differently? What else, can I do? <confused>
I would have suggested that you not communicate with someone that far away, for one thing. But since you are already stuck on this, mentally, you can do some research on her. Education? Job? Family? Get on the stick and get this stuff verified.

Quote:
She doesn't currently use facebook.
Right. What 18 year old DOESN'T use Facebook these days? Ask her to set up an account so that you can more easily view pics. See what her response is. Does she have any family? Any friends? The fact that she isn't a FB user is suspicious in itself, to me, because of her supposed age.

Quote:
I don't know of a single other girl, like her that I've ever met, so far in my life.
You've never met HER, either. That's the whole issue here.

Quote:
Not to worry -- she has said several times that she would be happy to move and relocate to be close to me, when she and I are ready for that stage in the relationship.
Well of COURSE she is. She'd do anything for you.

You just don't get it, do you.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Why are you attacking me personally here?? Questioning my mental ability, and my thinking skills? What did I ever say to you, to trigger that kind of a response? I never attacked you personally?

She does have a family, education, etc. *Not everyone*, uses facebook -- plenty of ppl don't. I've already seen her pics, so why does if she's on fb or not matter that much anyway? In fact, I have often thought about deleting my own fb account, b/c I didn't even really like the whole idea of fb that much to begin with; I just joined to be able to connect more easily to ppl.

ETA: I have already started doing some more extensive and in-depth research, about more info about her, to make sure what she's telling me is actually true. I'll freely admit that you have a valid point there, about the need to verify what she's been telling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think that's a foolish thing to do given all that you don't know.

I would have suggested that you not communicate with someone that far away, for one thing. But since you are already stuck on this, mentally, you can do some research on her. Education? Job? Family? Get on the stick and get this stuff verified.

Right. What 18 year old DOESN'T use Facebook these days? Ask her to set up an account so that you can more easily view pics. See what her response is. Does she have any family? Any friends? The fact that she isn't a FB user is suspicious in itself, to me, because of her supposed age.

You've never met HER, either. That's the whole issue here.

Well of COURSE she is. She'd do anything for you.

You just don't get it, do you.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-18-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
I haven't read all this post but just be careful. There were a thread on People Search and someone was emailing and texting someone for 3 months and became very attached to them and I believe became engaged. He had a pic of her and she stopped emailing him all of a sudden. He was frantic with worry and after posting her pic come to find out, it's of a singer and it wasn't her real picture.

So make sure this person is who she says she is.

Also my suggestion, how about finding a church in your area and found out if they have a singles group? I think what you're looking for might be there.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Do you two talk on the phone? Or just online?

You say she's young. Does she still live with her parents? Is she in college? Working? Does she have any obligations to her family that you know about? And, not to be unkind, but has she ever asked you for any money?

I would hold off on the plans for a ltr until you've met and lived in the same city for a few months. It may be the romance of the century, or you may be in for some surprises. It's easy when you're talking to someone online to let your imagination fill in the gaps.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I haven't read all this post but just be careful. There were a thread on People Search and someone was emailing and texting someone for 3 months and became very attached to them and I believe became engaged. He had a pic of her and she stopped emailing him all of a sudden. He was frantic with worry and after posting her pic come to find out, it's of a singer and it wasn't her real picture.

So make sure this person is who she says she is.
Netflix the movie Catfish, for example: Catfish (2010) - IMDb

Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Also a couple of years ago in VA, there was a boy that meet someone online while he was in college and he was like you and fell totally in love with her. She even had a pic of herself that he was showing people around campus.

He finally meet her about 6 months into their "relationship" and he turned up dead in a field. Turns out the "she" was a "he". They ended up catching this man that killed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships