Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times

Advertisements

^^^^ While we're sharing cautionary tales: Before Christmas there was a story in our local paper about how a woman managed to convince a man via online communication that she was one of the cute local TV newscasters. She sent him pictures and would tell him what the lead stories would be on the news, etc. He totally fell for it. Then she told him that she had breast cancer and needed money, etc. etc. and he gave her a bunch of money.

The woman finally got busted when the guy started e-mailing the real newscaster and she felt threatened and contacted some sort of law enforcement.

Here's a link to the story: http://www.caller.com/news/2010/dec/...rte-convinces/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,764,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I haven't read all this post but just be careful. There were a thread on People Search and someone was emailing and texting someone for 3 months and became very attached to them and I believe became engaged. He had a pic of her and she stopped emailing him all of a sudden. He was frantic with worry and after posting her pic come to find out, it's of a singer and it wasn't her real picture.

So make sure this person is who she says she is.
Agreed -- I will use something like Intelius or People Search to verify her info. I had already googled her, before I started this thread also.

Quote:
Also my suggestion, how about finding a church in your area and found out if they have a singles group? I think what you're looking for might be there.
Have been trying that on an ongoing basis, ever since about 10 years ago -- no luck whatsoever tho. If you could only see what most girls here in DC are like, you might understand just how hard it really is, to meet someone nice here

Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Please see below in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you two talk on the phone? Or just online?

Both.

You say she's young. Does she still live with her parents?

Yes.

Is she in college?

Yes.

Working?

No.

Does she have any obligations to her family that you know about?

No.

And, not to be unkind, but has she ever asked you for any money?

No.

I would hold off on the plans for a ltr until you've met and lived in the same city for a few months. It may be the romance of the century, or you may be in for some surprises. It's easy when you're talking to someone online to let your imagination fill in the gaps.

Many thx for your thoughts and helpful advice.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM

Thx for providing the link -- I will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
^^^^ While we're sharing cautionary tales: Before Christmas there was a story in our local paper about how a woman managed to convince a man via online communication that she was one of the cute local TV newscasters. She sent him pictures and would tell him what the lead stories would be on the news, etc. He totally fell for it. Then she told him that she had breast cancer and needed money, etc. etc. and he gave her a bunch of money.

The woman finally got busted when the guy started e-mailing the real newscaster and she felt threatened and contacted some sort of law enforcement.

Here's a link to the story: Facebook email unravels $12,000 scam by woman posing as KIII-TV's Katia Uriarte » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Why are you attacking me personally here?? Questioning my mental ability, and my thinking skills? What did I ever say to you, to trigger that kind of a response? I never attacked you personally?

She does have a family, education, etc. *Not everyone*, uses facebook -- plenty of ppl don't. I've already seen her pics, so why does if she's on fb or not matter that much anyway? In fact, I have often thought about deleting my own fb account, b/c I didn't even really like the whole idea of fb that much to begin with; I just joined to be able to connect more easily to ppl.

ETA: I have already started doing some more extensive and in-depth research, about more info about her, to make sure what she's telling me is actually true. I'll freely admit that you have a valid point there, about the need to verify what she's been telling me.
How have I attacked you? You started this thread. And pretty much every response has been in the same vein. Just trying to help you look out for yourself buddy. If you want to ignore the advice, please feel free.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,977 times
Quote:
Agreed -- I will use something like Intelius or People Search to verify her info. I had already googled her, before I started this thread also.

Have been trying that on an ongoing basis, ever since about 10 years ago -- no luck whatsoever tho. If you could only see what most girls here in DC are like, you might understand just how hard it really is, to meet someone nice here

I understand what you're saying. I live in MD right now and used to work in DC.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How have I attacked you? You started this thread. And pretty much every response has been in the same vein. Just trying to help you look out for yourself buddy. If you want to ignore the advice, please feel free.
No I appreciate your thoughts, advice, and concern -- not ignoring you in any way. The line from your earlier post with the word "mentally" in it just seemed like a personal attack in a way, at the time...if that was not your intent, please accept my wholehearted apologies.

Again thank you for your advice / comments -- I truly do value what you had to say, and sorry for the confusion, on my part there.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,401,431 times
IMO, I think you should hold off the visit until much later. 5-6 months is not long enough. I've known two girls (although this might be different because of the gender) for 4 years and I've decided to meet her last winter. She is the girl that I've known for 4 years. If my daughter was talking to someone who is much older than she is, I would be very concern even though she is 18 and 'legal'. A lot of the post here are just trying to help you, but you still make that decision in the end.

Last edited by ho hey!; 01-18-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM

142 posts, read 238,665 times
Quote:
I guess I would still rather be counted as naive than as bitter or jaded though, which might describe some others my age...

Guilty as charged

Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,297,647 times
Since she is young and still living with her parents, it might be best to make the initial meeting in her hometown so you can meet them, too. That would probably help them, as they might have some fears about their daughter going away to meet a man she met online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships