Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 AM

335 posts, read 1,313,546 times

Advertisements

A real man is secure enough in who he is to be able to express emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,659,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
I have no idea what crying has to do with being strong. They are totally separate. Being able to be tough when threatened has nothing to do with crying when you're sad. It's like saying men shouldn't laugh because they have to be strong - It makes no sense.
Crying means you've lost control of your emotions. Losing control of your emotions means you're no longer able to think or act logically or rationally. You've been defeated by your own mind.

Hence, a sign of weakness, however temporary.

DISCLAIMER:

This way of thinking does not apply in the following situations:
  • Loss of a loved one
  • Loss of a pet
  • Loss of innocence
  • Loss of winning PowerBall ticket
  • Loss of hair

Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,723,914 times
Jack Bauer cries :O

Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,327,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Crying means you've lost control of your emotions. Losing control of your emotions means you're no longer able to think or act logically or rationally. You've been defeated by your own mind.

Hence, a sign of weakness, however temporary.

DISCLAIMER:

This way of thinking does not apply in the following situations:
  • Loss of a loved one
  • Loss of a pet
  • Loss of innocence
  • Loss of winning PowerBall ticket
  • Loss of hair

Anger would qualify as losing control of your emotions, and men show that regularly.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:12 AM

9,025 posts, read 20,450,994 times
I've got "teary-eyed" in front of my wife on different occasions......watching a movie is basically the main one. When a couple can share a box of Kleenix, that is called REAL love!! That's us!!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,100,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
A real man is secure enough in who he is to be able to express emotion.
Keep telling yourself that.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,674,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Keep telling yourself that.
Keep telling yourself that real men don't cry.

My Father who is about as macho as you can get is not afraid to be soft on occasions as well. He did manage a very successful career in the Marines and the Diplomatic service having to deal with some pretty hairy situations as well. A hard man if I ever met one.

I have never met you but I would wager that even now at 61 he could give you a run for your money physically and mentally.

He is the essence of masculinity as per the traditional definition but also man enough to be a human being and not give a damn what idiot might think of him. Humanity is not a weakness but a strength. The willow might appear softer than the mighty oak but the willow will bend in a storm where an oak will just break. Toughness is not all about exterior , the core is just as important.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Keep telling yourself that real men don't cry.

My Father who is about as macho as you can get is not afraid to be soft on occasions as well. He did manage a very successful career in the Marines and the Diplomatic service having to deal with some pretty hairy situations as well. A hard man if I ever met one.

I have never met you but I would wager that even now at 61 he could give you a run for your money physically and mentally.

He is the essence of masculinity as per the traditional definition but also man enough to be a human being and not give a damn what idiot might think of him. Humanity is not a weakness but a strength. The willow might appear softer than the mighty oak but the willow will bend in a storm where an oak will just break. Toughness is not all about exterior , the core is just as important.
Lovely story.

I'm sure he is a terrific person and I would not for a moment discredit him or his service.

But I'm sure that he does not cry at the drop of a hat.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,586,691 times
If the woman hates your honest display of emotions, it's a clue that you are with the wrong woman.

On the other hand, if you find yourself doing it frequently, you might want to investigate the reasons why. It is perhaps your other life choices that require a second thought.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If the woman hates your honest display of emotions, it's a clue that you are with the wrong woman.

On the other hand, if you find yourself doing it frequently, you might want to investigate the reasons why. It is perhaps your other life choices that require a second thought.
Exactly.

That's my point.

People, especially men should control their emotions.

How do you feel about Boehner crying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships