Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 04:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I thought that guys don't act like they know everything.

That is awesome, Braunwyn! The most I can do is fill up those drawers!
It's not about can, but want. You could, be sure of that. Whether you want to or not is a different story. People enjoy different things.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times
Quote:
Well, there are fathers who manage to get their daughters to listen. Something must be in the water at their house.

And to your point...people who judge can tell when others are judging. It doesn't mean they never judge.

You are in agreement when somebody judges in a way you agree with. You are in a disagreement when somebody judges in a way you don't agree with.

You are not free from this. You just seem to take it personally and do the very thing you claim not to do. Its like being shocked that you just got yelled at by a person you just finished yelling at.
Who was I yelling at? I've already taken a few low blows to the nards in here. It's no biggy! Imma big boy! The thread was "Guys what are your complaints about women?" A swarm or angry hornets come flying in like always!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My father didn't teach me anything in the way of home repairs, because he didn't do them. My mom, OTOH, was/is a DIY and she set me out on the path. Now, she'll be 71 in Sept, is in fantastic shape, and is still doing her thing.

And beachmel, speaking of landscaping. One time when I was a kid a woman came up to me and asked me who did out landscaping, I said my mom. All for 4'8 and 95 pounds of her lol. We had a big property and she was a one woman team.
Everything I learned was from books! What I meant by that was the there are parents who set their children up for success. Those parents you listen to. Clearly your mom set you up for success.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Everything I learned was from books! What I meant by that was the there are parents who set their children up for success. Those parents you listen to. Clearly your mom set you up for success.
Yea, it's a fine line and parents have to be thoughtful. People mean well when they do something for you, but in the end it's the whole give a man fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish, etc.

One thing I'm convinced about regarding women shying away from power tools, home repair, etc, is that women are told from day one that they're deficient. That sinks in after a while and becomes actualized. My own dad did it with me. He didn't mean to hurt me, or anything, it's just something he believed about gender differences.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It's not about can, but want. You could, be sure of that. Whether you want to or not is a different story. People enjoy different things.
I agree 110%. Sometimes its not even about want but about fear. It sucks because I don't want to teach my daughter fear but I still have it lingering. I know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Who was I yelling at? I've already taken a few low blows to the nards in here. It's no biggy! Imma big boy! The thread was "Guys what are your complaints about women?" A swarm or angry hornets come flying in like always!
It was an example. Let me replace it with the word complaining.

You dislike it when the very person you were complaining to now has her own complaint.

Or judgment.

You dislike being judged by the very person you just judged.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Well, now that you have outed yourself as a pro at something, which is what exactly? Mechanic? You've opened a door you might not like. I have no shame calling on anyone I might know on or offline. Two of my colleagues were contractors. One of them bought me a book to get me to leave him alone.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yea, it's a fine line and parents have to be thoughtful. People mean well when they do something for you, but in the end it's the whole give a man fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish, etc.

One thing I'm convinced about regarding women shying away from power tools, home repair, etc, is that women are told from day one that they're deficient. That sinks in after a while and becomes actualized. My own dad did it with me. He didn't mean to hurt me, or anything, it's just something he believed about gender differences.
Exactly. But I see now I put my foot in my mouth.

Things worked out for you even though you had two very different parents. Now, I wont be so worried for my daughter. I know my husband means well.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Well, now that you have outed yourself as a pro at something, which is what exactly? Mechanic? You've opened a door you might not like. I have no shame calling on anyone I might know on or offline. Two of my colleagues were contractors. One of them bought me a book to get me to leave him alone.
I'm a mechanic for fun. I build hot-rods. The "job" is more complicated, dangerous and PRESSED for time than that. You should be able to handle it? I'll let you try first!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I agree 110%. Sometimes its not even about want but about fear. It sucks because I don't want to teach my daughter fear but I still have it lingering. I know it.
Yea, that speaks to what I was saying a few posts above. If you wanted, you could conquer those fears. I was initially worried about electrical stuff. I didn't want to burn my house down. Getting a shock or two? Eh, not really. I'm exposed to far more dangers at work. But fire is a scary thing. I've learned that it's not a big deal, especially in newer homes. A good, comprehensive DIY book could become nightly reading and Youtube, halleluiah for youtube. There's a vid on how to do everything. You can take it play by play. When my dryer broke, no problem. I pulled up a few vids and set to it, saving myself $60 in labor. And labor for what? It was a snapped belt.

I still have a fear when it comes to plumbing and I need to get over it. I have a huge issue with possible mold, mildew, water running in places I don't know about. A lot of the stuff I need to deal with is in the basement, too. Lots of bugs, and spider webs. Yuk. I want to rip out the basement kitchen wall where we have leaks to check things out. God knows what critters I'll find. I want to patch, water resist, install removable paneling, and then jack hammer the basement floor around the perimeter for a french drain and then put in a sump pump. Do I know how to tackle it theoretically? yes. But, I'm scared of the ick.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

It was an example. Let me replace it with the word complaining.

You dislike it when the very person you were complaining to now has her own complaint.

Or judgment.

You dislike being judged by the very person you just judged.
What would be the complaint? She still can't buy some of the materials. Those are Federally regulated. My complaint still is.... "I know everything". "I can do anything"! "I'll make your head spin at your own profession". Yep, that's what I'm talkin' about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.