Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,840,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayzer View Post
Thank you for serving our country.

But sadly, the dating scene is going to give you A LOT of upsets. Why? Because the quality of people have plummeted in the last decade. Those girls who are asking about your "degree" are ones you shouldn't even be dating in the first place, it's basically asking "how much do you make?"
In my experience, people are usually looking for someone who is on the same path, and who has shared values and goals. Many college educated people like to date other college educated people because it's something they have in common. Just like people who don't have children often prefer to date other people who do not have children. Dog people like to date dog people, and cat people like to date cat people. Non-smokers prefer to date other non-smokers, etc., etc.

I don't know why so many men insist on presuming that everything a woman does and says is all about money. So not true and it's so unfair to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:30 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,425,087 times
why are there like 3 of this same topic on this page?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 PM

188 posts, read 498,654 times
I lived all over because my dad was in the military, like you. I moved here from the south as well. Down south having a degree is a serious accomplishment. Here it's the standard. Boston is the birthplace of education in America, so that's a big part of it. The women u are meeting however are probably transplants, most transplants like myself moved here for work or grad school and most of us have degrees. It's not just Boston though, I also noticed this in nyc. The thing is for the most part, college educated ppl usually date other college educated ppl, not all but most. That being said don't let it get to you. There are plenty of females here, you will find someone who likes you for you

Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,819,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
In my experience, people are usually looking for someone who is on the same path, and who has shared values and goals. Many college educated people like to date other college educated people because it's something they have in common. Just like people who don't have children often prefer to date other people who do not have children. Dog people like to date dog people, and cat people like to date cat people. Non-smokers prefer to date other non-smokers, etc., etc.

I don't know why so many men insist on presuming that everything a woman does and says is all about money. So not true and it's so unfair to say that.
Nah that's the politically correct answer. I'll give you the real answer because I'm never PC. This is discussed all the time on other boards like the Work and Employment forums. Many people with a degree just flat out think they're better than people that don't have one.

Women are about 30 percent more likely to have a degree than a man by the way. Men and women don't do the same jobs. There's not too many women slugging it out in an oil field for 12 hours a day.

Pipefitters go through an apprenticeship which includes classroom work and then go on to make more money than money people with a degree.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,840,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Nah that's the politically correct answer. I'll give you the real answer because I'm never PC. This is discussed all the time on other boards like the Work and Employment forums. Many people with a degree just flat out think they're better than people that don't have one.

Women are about 30 percent more likely to have a degree than a man by the way. Men and women don't do the same jobs. There's not too many women slugging it out in an oil field for 12 hours a day.

Pipefitters go through an apprenticeship which includes classroom work and then go on to make more money than money people with a degree.
Why take it personally? It's no different than non-smokers who feel superior to smokers or morning people who feel superior to night owls, fit people feel superior to fat people. People simply want to match up with like-minded people. Why twist it into something sinister, it's not. No matter how accomplished you are, not everyone on the planet is going to think you are awesome.

Last edited by Butterflyfish; 03-19-2015 at 03:55 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,294,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post

That's possible, but I think it's generally used as a quick way to gauge intelligence, what they have achieved, and how much money the other person makes. It's rude to ask how much a person makes, but you can gain some insight by asking if they have a degree and what they do. I mean, on an average day the fact that I have a degree doesn't really change anything except how much I make. I'm not taking my degree for a walk, petting it, lighting it up, drinking it, or doing anything interactive with it that would cause it to even comes up in a conversation or activity. Pets, children, smoking, drinking, work out frequency, hobbies, etc. all involve some kind of interaction that the other person may not enjoy doing.

Quote:

No they don't. Most trades aren't going to pay more than what you can get with a degree. I can't even think of any off the top of my head that pay more than a professional could make. However, if you go to Australia or Canada you can clear 6 figures in relatively short order working in the trades, but that' not the USA.

Pipefitter: $50,180

Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters

Bachelor's: $57,616
Master's: $69,108
Prof. Degree: $89,128

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's possible, but I think it's generally used as a quick way to gauge intelligence, what they have achieved, and how much money the other person makes. It's rude to ask how much a person makes, but you can gain some insight by asking if they have a degree and what they do. I mean, on an average day the fact that I have a degree doesn't really change anything except how much I make. I'm not taking my degree for a walk, petting it, lighting it up, drinking it, or doing anything interactive with it that would cause it to even comes up in a conversation or activity. Pets, children, smoking, drinking, work out frequency, hobbies, etc. all involve some kind of interaction that the other person may not enjoy doing.

No they don't. Most trades aren't going to pay more than what you can get with a degree. I can't even think of any off the top of my head that pay more than a professional could make. However, if you go to Australia or Canada you can clear 6 figures in relatively short order working in the trades, but that' not the USA.

Pipefitter: $50,180

Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters

Bachelor's: $57,616
Master's: $69,108
Prof. Degree: $89,128

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment
Uhm yes, they do, sorry, and yes in the US. Plenty of pipefitters can make just as much the prof degree range with overtime you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Also, I said they make more than many people with a degree, not EVERYONE. Not everyone with a degree is making those salaries that the college snobs love to try and dig up. Seems like you're the one taking it personally and that I hit a nerve. Crux of the matter is college doesn't mean squat.

I also personally know plenty of people working in the energy industry without a degree that make 6 figures in a LOW cost of living area not big city high cost of living area. You're talking to someone that actually knows the industries my friend you're just going by what the college Kool-Ade drinkers have filled your head with your whole life.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 03-19-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,294,356 times
Quote:
Plenty of pipefitters make just as much the prof degree range you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Yea, the top 5%, but the median income for a pipefitter is far less and far more telling of what a realistic wage is going to be.

Quote:
Seems like you're the one taking it personally and that I hit a nerve.
Nah, I just have this thing for accuracy.

Quote:
I also personally know plenty of people working in the energy industry without a degree that make 6 figures in a LOW cost of living area not big city high cost of living area.
That's generally not the case though. Some lawyers can clear 7 figures and some will start at $150K, but the bulk make significantly less than that. Same thing happens in the trades, sure some can clear 6 figures, but that isn't a realistic salary in the USA.

Quote:
Also, I said they make more than many people with a degree, not EVERYONE. Not everyone with a degree is making those salaries that the college snobs love to try and dig up. Seems like you're the one taking it personally and that I hit a nerve. Crux of the matter is college doesn't mean squat.
Those were the median numbers. The 50 percentile mark. Half make more and half make less, but the median is still less for the trades than it is for occupations than require a degree.

Quote:
You're talking to someone that actually knows the industries my friend you're just going by what the college Kool-Ade drinkers have filled your head with your whole life.
The BLS compiles actual salaries, so I don't know what cool aid you are referencing.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:49 AM

69 posts, read 94,371 times
I have no degree, but I make a decent living. My girlfriend of more than a year is a lab vet and is quite obviously extremely educated. I'm glad she didn't hold my lack of *academic* education against me.

However, she has asked me if I'd ever consider going back to college, and I've told her if things went sour with my current career, then yes, I would. If I were to say no, I think she would have a problem with that, and rightfully so.

I wouldn't worry too much about the education thing. What most reasonable people (women AND men) look for in a mid-to-late 20s partner is some sort of financial stability and a career under their belt. Anyone who's holding a lack of degree against someone beyond that is being pretentious, in which case they are probably that way in other areas as well and you should thank them for doing you a favor.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yea, the top 5%, but the median income for a pipefitter is far less and far more telling of what a realistic wage is going to be.

Nah, I just have this thing for accuracy.

That's generally not the case though. Some lawyers can clear 7 figures and some will start at $150K, but the bulk make significantly less than that. Same thing happens in the trades, sure some can clear 6 figures, but that isn't a realistic salary in the USA.

Those were the median numbers. The 50 percentile mark. Half make more and half make less, but the median is still less for the trades than it is for occupations than require a degree.

The BLS compiles actual salaries, so I don't know what cool aid you are referencing.
I know all about the BLS statistics they're used all the time by the college and yuppie elitists to try and prove something. The BLS statistics are way overused they don't mean as much as they think you do. It's like the numbers at Glassdoor.

The professional degree salary statistics are definitely skewed by people that are doctors, lawyers, rocket scientists, etc.

For a pipefitter an apprenticeship is 5 years and people in an apprenticeship make less which is their version of schooling. They are at least earning money right out of the gate and don't end up with 70k in debt. Also those statistics don't even factor in overtime I don't believe.

Union jobs have better benefits than many yuppie jobs including a pension.

BLS statistics also do not factor in Per Diem that many tradesmen get. I don't know anyone that actually spends all of their Per Diem on food/lodging they just consider it part of their salary.

Either way my point still stands there's plenty of people in the trades making more than people with college degrees, and in MOST cases equal to.

The people with degrees just need some sort of security blanket and a need to feel above people that don't have one even though it's extremely laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships