Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,334,022 times

Advertisements

I dont know but guys sure are thick headed and create the same online dating threads asking the same questions over and over again.

Very annoying when it's been answered a million times but they don't like the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yup. And those are the ones that start these types of threads. I suspect they don't have much luck with dating of any sort. So really, where is the problem? Hmmmm...

The problem has always been and remains the attitude that a female partner is a device to get. What person who was looking for an actual mental and emotional fit broadcast emails hundreds of women? Do they think we cannot TELL that there is nothing in particular about US or our profile than the fact that we are female and don't weigh 300 pounds? And where is it writ that a basement dwelling video gamer is entitled to a fit, fun attractive woman? Do they think we can't tell that they are immensely boring and will only provide poor sex and an opportunity for us to feed them in the basement cave?

Ask me how I know.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 PM

19 posts, read 25,105 times
Well, my experience with free sites as a woman is that 98% of the men are only interested in sex. Most of the messages I receive from men are "love your curves" and "hey baby". Yawn! Even if I were only looking for casual sex, you need to show me you have a brain because macho idiots are very unattractive.

I can't speak for other women, but for me, if you really want me to pay attention, you need to say something of substance. Make a comment about something from my profile that got your attention (and not my looks).

Of course I say this when this strategy has garnered 0 dates for me...but maybe the tactic works for men messaging women. Who knows?

Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 25,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The problem has always been and remains the attitude that a female partner is a device to get. What person who was looking for an actual mental and emotional fit broadcast emails hundreds of women? Do they think we cannot TELL that there is nothing in particular about US or our profile than the fact that we are female and don't weigh 300 pounds? And where is it writ that a basement dwelling video gamer is entitled to a fit, fun attractive woman? Do they think we can't tell that they are immensely boring and will only provide poor sex and an opportunity for us to feed them in the basement cave?

Ask me how I know.
I don't need to ask. I know. LOL.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,612,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
It seems like most guys who use online dating will never get a date, even if they message 1000 different girls. If you are not very attractive and have a good paying job, most women wouldn't even bother with you. It seems like a waste of time and money for most guys since women can be extremely selective.
Dunno! Never have. Never will. Desperation perhaps? For that matter, why do women?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,665,717 times
I tried OLD for about 4 years off and on with different types living in three different areas. Match, eHarmony, Christian Mingle, POF, OKCupid, etc. Many of these were paid memberships. I was about 31-35. In the prime of my life. Good job. Exercised a lot. Lived in a city area and then moved more rural.

In my experience, the entire experience yielded no relationship. Only a series of dates. The vast majority were one time dates.

Most people don't meet like this. They generally know each other for a while, maybe introduced through friends, etc.

There is also a stigma against it. I think me using the site actually worked against me as women sometimes would have this preconception of me as they met me on it.

Either way I'm done with it and never looking back. Overall I do not recommend people doing it, unless they are 45+ years old. For everyone else, find a way to have a social life and get out more. Move to an area with more single women if needed.

Too many hours wasted on OLD, not to mention the money. I was not "desperate" but worked a lot which made it difficult to get out much. Now I'm making that more of a priority and it's paying off.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,426,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I tried OLD for about 4 years off and on with different types living in three different areas. Match, eHarmony, Christian Mingle, POF, OKCupid, etc. Many of these were paid memberships. I was about 31-35. In the prime of my life. Good job. Exercised a lot. Lived in a city area and then moved more rural.

In my experience, the entire experience yielded no relationship. Only a series of dates. The vast majority were one time dates.

Most people don't meet like this. They generally know each other for a while, maybe introduced through friends, etc.

There is also a stigma against it. I think me using the site actually worked against me as women sometimes would have this preconception of me as they met me on it.

Either way I'm done with it and never looking back. Overall I do not recommend people doing it, unless they are 45+ years old. For everyone else, find a way to have a social life and get out more. Move to an area with more single women if needed.

Too many hours wasted on OLD, not to mention the money. I was not "desperate" but worked a lot which made it difficult to get out much. Now I'm making that more of a priority and it's paying off.
Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean it hasn't, or won't work for others. It's clearly worked for plenty of other people, and a lot have met people through it.

And regarding the stigma, don't you think it would work the other way around as well? If what you said is true, then most women wouldn't use it or go on dates with people from it.

Personally, OLD has worked out way better for me than IRL.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,371,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

Ask me how I know.

This is absolutely true for men who struggle socially. This truth is hard to see at times, though, because men who appear to be the most "successful" in dating and mating see women precisely as "a device to get". So it's complicated.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
This is absolutely true for men who struggle socially. This truth is hard to see at times, though, because men who appear to be the most "successful" in dating and mating see women precisely as "a device to get". So it's complicated.
I am probably way older than most of the folks on this board. I have dated many men. Depending on what you mean by "successful", I have not known one man among my BF's (certainly not my husband), brothers, brothers-in-law, friends and colleagues who treated women as anything other than people that managed to have successful relationships.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,171,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Yeah, that's not what I see. Quite the opposite. The ones that seem most successful treat women like regular people, closer to friends than assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships