Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I'm a young college educated (black American) professional woman.

I'm very observant, and I've noticed (for some odd reason), people tend to usually react in a negative fashion towards me. Perhaps it's because I make them uncomfortable. For the record, there is nothing inherently intimidating about my presence. I'm actually quite petite. I take a great deal of pride in my appearance, as well as my professional work.

I've been told that I look 10 to 13 years younger than my actual age. Most people would probably mistake me for an 18 year old (in appearance alone). Much of this is due to the fact that I have never drank any form of alcohol or used any illicit drugs. I absolutely abhor bars, clubs, and lounges. Also, I must admit that genetics plays a role as well. I have dark skin; therefore, I'm less prone to age. I've noticed that other women in their late 20's/ early 30's (particularly white women) often look closer to 40 something. I'm wondering if this plays any role in why I'm perceived so negatively?

When I show up at meetings in my professional suits and heels, people seem to always take a double look. It's almost as if they are uncomfortable with confronting the realization that black American women are not a monolithic group. I strongly dislike rap/hip hop because it promotes the most destructive images of black women around the world. Unfortunately, people who have never even encountered a black woman, will often believe that we are all about partying and sex. I take a great deal of pride in my overall appearance and I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women. I tend to be very conservative (in the truest sense). I would never engage in any form of pre-marital sex!

I do however realize that we are all individuals; therefore, I never judge others. I'm simply wondering why people tend to judge me so harshly. It's very odd, but sometimes I get the feeling that people are uncomfortable because I do not fit the 'sassy/finger snapping/ghetto' stereotype.

It's very sad that conservative black women, such as myself are ostracized for having values and morals.
So what are people doing that you would describe as a negative fashion?

[you've described yourself but not what they do beyond a "double look"]

Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM

140 posts, read 120,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
So what are people doing that you would describe as a negative fashion?

[you've described yourself but not what they do beyond a "double look"]
--It's mostly the negative & uncomfortable looks. I travel a great deal for work.

Many of these people seem so polite and nice on the telephone or via email, but when we meet in person, I get a lot of strange incredulous stares.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:34 PM

393 posts, read 652,318 times
I personally like a woman who is confident in herself and behaves that way. I am sure there are some men who are uncomfortable with a "strong" woman whatever her race. I would also say that there are some men who are even more taken aback by your positive and agressive attitude since you are a black woman and obviously attractive and intelligent to boot. Men are programmed to look at women not as equals and you are the exception to the norm for them. Dont take it personally as an affront but as a badge of honor. Its not a racial thing, its a gender thing. Walk proud and strong and those people who judge you, they are not worth your time! Enjoy your life it seems you have a good one.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
You used the term "black", as well as "white", but then used "Asian American"(as opposed to just Asians). Most blacks that will add the "American" to someone's origin will refer to themselves as "African Americans".

That's just how it reads to me. Good luck with the thread
I used 'Black American' because although I do have distant ancestry in Africa, I choose to self identify as Black. I used Asian American, to differentiate between mainland Asians and American Asians. I've spent some time in Japan and China, and there's a big difference between native Asians and American born Asians.

I didn't really feel the need to use American after stating white and black, due to the context of the discussion.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Well..........., white women in their late 20s/early 30s are prettier

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And why are you jumping from a question of why you get unpleasant reactions from people to a conclusion that people dislike black conservative women? Maybe they don't like any conservative women. Maybe they just don't like you.
Well, I seem to get the most stares and outlandish looks when I'm dressed very nicely.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:41 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I used 'Black American' because although I do have distant ancestry in Africa, I choose to self identify as Black. I used Asian American, to differentiate between mainland Asians and American Asians. I've spent some time in Japan and China, and there's a big difference between native Asians and American born Asians.

I didn't really feel the need to use American after stating white and black, due to the context of the discussion.
In the post that I originally commented on, you didn't say "black American". You said "black males". Which is why my mind thinks you're Asian. Either a female or effeminate male.

So there ya go. Maybe they think you're Asian and can't figure out why you look black?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Sounds like something you just made up and it sounds idiotic...
That's what she typed. I can't make that up. She put more emphasis on Asians, and less on the other two races. Obnoxious much?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Well..........., white women in their late 20s/early 30s are prettier
I never stated that white women were unattractive. I just pointed out that the white women around my age, tend to look much older.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
In the post that I originally commented on, you didn't say "black American". You said "black males". Which is why my mind thinks you're Asian. Either a female or effeminate male.

So there ya go. Maybe they think you're Asian and can't figure out why you look black?
Ok, well, I'm not Asian or male. As I stated, I'm a black American female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships