Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I never stated that white women were unattractive. I just pointed out that the white women around my age, tend to look much older.
Old is never attractive. You see how that stings? You just can't come along smacking another ethnicity, amiga.

What's pretty and not pretty is decided by the men who chase the women

Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,233,607 times
Quote:
Well, I seem to get the most stares and outlandish looks when I'm dressed very nicely.
How does dressing very nicely equate with being conservative?

And what are outlandish looks? Do people giggle? Roll their eyes? Make the 'screwball' gesture with finger to side of head? Stick out their tongues?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 PM

140 posts, read 121,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

You state part of the evidence of their dislike is their reaction when you walk into a room in professional business attire. How do they know you are personally conservative in views or politics from that?

What makes you assume that black women who don't "fit the stereotype" are conservative?

And where do you live that a black woman in a professional work environment gets treated like an oddity for looking the part of a respectable professional? Certainly isn't that way where I live.
I travel a lot for work. I was just in the bay area. While there, I noticed quite a number of people took double looks...

I believe people can pick up on the fact that I'm rather conservative, based on my attire and overall mannerisms.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-23-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
How often do you take a bath?

It might be the way you smell....

Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,896 times
Quote:
For the last time, there wasn't a need to state, black American or white American due to the context of the discussion.

I will no longer engage you; believe whatever you wish.
Do people ever say anything negative or ignore you, or is it just a look? Do other black people treat you differently, too?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Or maybe it's the acreage of cleavage

Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
--It's mostly the negative & uncomfortable looks. I travel a great deal for work.

Many of these people seem so polite and nice on the telephone or via email, but when we meet in person, I get a lot of strange incredulous stares.
I get that (sort of), too, sometimes as I have a mixed race/ethnic background. I don't have an accent and even my name doesn't match my appearance. But after a few seconds it's back to business. I don't think it is a negative perception of you that they have. We (including me) all have an image in our heads of what a person on the phone must look like in person and when it doesn't match expectations there is a momentary reset. I think it is nothing.

[you might be on to something if they said, "I never would have imagined a black, professional woman and yet...here you are!!"]

Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
I'm a young college educated (black American) professional woman.

I'm very observant, and I've noticed (for some odd reason), people tend to usually react in a negative fashion towards me. Perhaps it's because I make them uncomfortable. For the record, there is nothing inherently intimidating about my presence. I'm actually quite petite. I take a great deal of pride in my appearance, as well as my professional work.

I've been told that I look 10 to 13 years younger than my actual age. Most people would probably mistake me for an 18 year old (in appearance alone). Much of this is due to the fact that I have never drank any form of alcohol or used any illicit drugs. I absolutely abhor bars, clubs, and lounges. Also, I must admit that genetics plays a role as well. I have dark skin; therefore, I'm less prone to age. I've noticed that other women in their late 20's/ early 30's (particularly white women) often look closer to 40 something. I'm wondering if this plays any role in why I'm perceived so negatively?

When I show up at meetings in my professional suits and heels, people seem to always take a double look. It's almost as if they are uncomfortable with confronting the realization that black American women are not a monolithic group. I strongly dislike rap/hip hop because it promotes the most destructive images of black women around the world. Unfortunately, people who have never even encountered a black woman, will often believe that we are all about partying and sex. I take a great deal of pride in my overall appearance and I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women. I tend to be very conservative (in the truest sense). I would never engage in any form of pre-marital sex!

I do however realize that we are all individuals; therefore, I never judge others. I'm simply wondering why people tend to judge me so harshly. It's very odd, but sometimes I get the feeling that people are uncomfortable because I do not fit the 'sassy/finger snapping/ghetto' stereotype.

It's very sad that conservative black women, such as myself are ostracized for having values and morals.
You sound like a kickass lady to me.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Old is never attractive. You see how that stings? You just can't come along smacking another ethnicity, amiga.

What's pretty and not pretty is decided by the men who chase the women
I only mentioned my youthful look, because I'm thinking this may play a role in the double takes. Perhaps people are simply curious as to how a 'young' black woman managed to get such a great job.

On another note, I'm far more focussed on my career. Dating/relationships are way at the bottom of my priorities at this point.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Assuming this is for real, perhaps the quoted plays a part. Are you irritatingly preachy?
No, I definitely do not preach, but I do go out of my way, not to play into the negative stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships