Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I'm a young college educated (black American) professional woman.

I'm very observant, and I've noticed (for some odd reason), people tend to usually react in a negative fashion towards me. Perhaps it's because I make them uncomfortable. For the record, there is nothing inherently intimidating about my presence. I'm actually quite petite. I take a great deal of pride in my appearance, as well as my professional work.

I've been told that I look 10 to 13 years younger than my actual age. Most people would probably mistake me for an 18 year old (in appearance alone). Much of this is due to the fact that I have never drank any form of alcohol or used any illicit drugs. I absolutely abhor bars, clubs, and lounges. Also, I must admit that genetics plays a role as well. I have dark skin; therefore, I'm less prone to age. I've noticed that other women in their late 20's/ early 30's (particularly white women) often look closer to 40 something. I'm wondering if this plays any role in why I'm perceived so negatively?

When I show up at meetings in my professional suits and heels, people seem to always take a double look. It's almost as if they are uncomfortable with confronting the realization that black American women are not a monolithic group. I strongly dislike rap/hip hop because it promotes the most destructive images of black women around the world. Unfortunately, people who have never even encountered a black woman, will often believe that we are all about partying and sex. I take a great deal of pride in my overall appearance and I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women. I tend to be very conservative (in the truest sense). I would never engage in any form of pre-marital sex!

I do however realize that we are all individuals; therefore, I never judge others. I'm simply wondering why people tend to judge me so harshly. It's very odd, but sometimes I get the feeling that people are uncomfortable because I do not fit the 'sassy/finger snapping/ghetto' stereotype.

It's very sad that conservative black women, such as myself are ostracized for having values and morals.
Can you give us some examples of how you are perceived negatively? In what manner? Who are the biggest culprits...whites, blacks, men, women?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Can you give us some examples of how you are perceived negatively? In what manner? Who are the biggest culprits...whites, blacks, men, women?
She singled out whites and asians, and said the worst she experienced was people looking at her a little too long.

Moral of the story is be careful of looking at someone for too long.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
She singled out whites and asians, and said the worst she experienced was people looking at her a little too long.

Moral of the story is be careful of looking at someone for too long.
She is merely projecting her insecurities.

What she describes happens to me every day.

The people stare.

Antlered Chamataka smiles at them.

The people smile back.

End of story. Tension is diffused

A few minutes later some of them pick up chatter and initiate conversation. Mostly, it's about something I'm wearing, or my laptop or about India.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I started reading this thread and thought what is it with these post "its because Im black", people dont treat me the way I want them to "because Im black". Well I cant say but by the OP it sounds like skin color has nothing to do with it.
No offense, but you might be happier and get more positive reactions if you removed the stick from your behind and loosen up a bit.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
She is merely projecting her insecurities.

What she describes happens to me every day.

The people stare.

Antlered Chamataka smiles at them.

The people smile back.

End of story. Tension is diffused

A few minutes later some of them pick up chatter and initiate conversation. Mostly, it's about something I'm wearing, or my laptop or about India.
The Antlered one is wise indeed!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
In truth, I have observed that whites, Asian Americans and black males seem to be the most uncomfortable in my presence.

I don't know what you're talking about, I've interacted with plenty of professional black women. I much much prefer them then the neck rolling finger waggin baby mama ghetto thug type of people.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sounds like you have an inferiority complex...

Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
I just get the impression that people expect me to 'behave' in a certain fashion, and when I don't, they become un-nerved.

It's very apparent that I'm conservative. I do not hide it at all.
In a way you seem racist, against your own race.

I don't view Black Americans the way you do, I don't put them in a stereotype. I find it a little disturbing that you do.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm picturing Condoleza Rice, and I think she is well liked, so maybe it's just your imagination?
That’s the image I had, a young Condoeza Rice (My dream woman)
It's probably a combination of things: She’s in a professional environment, in a suit. but looks like a kid combined with worrying about what people are thinking of her.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
I'm a young college educated (black American) professional woman.

I'm very observant, and I've noticed (for some odd reason), people tend to usually react in a negative fashion towards me. Perhaps it's because I make them uncomfortable. For the record, there is nothing inherently intimidating about my presence. I'm actually quite petite. I take a great deal of pride in my appearance, as well as my professional work.

I've been told that I look 10 to 13 years younger than my actual age. Most people would probably mistake me for an 18 year old (in appearance alone). Much of this is due to the fact that I have never drank any form of alcohol or used any illicit drugs. I absolutely abhor bars, clubs, and lounges. Also, I must admit that genetics plays a role as well. I have dark skin; therefore, I'm less prone to age. I've noticed that other women in their late 20's/ early 30's (particularly white women) often look closer to 40 something. I'm wondering if this plays any role in why I'm perceived so negatively?

When I show up at meetings in my professional suits and heels, people seem to always take a double look. It's almost as if they are uncomfortable with confronting the realization that black American women are not a monolithic group. I strongly dislike rap/hip hop because it promotes the most destructive images of black women around the world. Unfortunately, people who have never even encountered a black woman, will often believe that we are all about partying and sex. I take a great deal of pride in my overall appearance and I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women. I tend to be very conservative (in the truest sense). I would never engage in any form of pre-marital sex!

I do however realize that we are all individuals; therefore, I never judge others. I'm simply wondering why people tend to judge me so harshly. It's very odd, but sometimes I get the feeling that people are uncomfortable because I do not fit the 'sassy/finger snapping/ghetto' stereotype.

It's very sad that conservative black women, such as myself are ostracized for having values and morals.
Maybe it's not your race or morals, maybe it's just you. You sound like a pretty unpleasant, full-of-yourself young woman. You think you are more moral and make better life choices than those around them. Oh, you don't "judge" them, of course, you just know you're better.

Are you really that surprised people don't want to be around you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships