Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,969,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I'm a young college educated (black American) professional woman.

I'm very observant, and I've noticed (for some odd reason), people tend to usually react in a negative fashion towards me. Perhaps it's because I make them uncomfortable. For the record, there is nothing inherently intimidating about my presence. I'm actually quite petite. I take a great deal of pride in my appearance, as well as my professional work.

I've been told that I look 10 to 13 years younger than my actual age. Most people would probably mistake me for an 18 year old (in appearance alone). Much of this is due to the fact that I have never drank any form of alcohol or used any illicit drugs. I absolutely abhor bars, clubs, and lounges. Also, I must admit that genetics plays a role as well. I have dark skin; therefore, I'm less prone to age. I've noticed that other women in their late 20's/ early 30's (particularly white women) often look closer to 40 something. I'm wondering if this plays any role in why I'm perceived so negatively?

When I show up at meetings in my professional suits and heels, people seem to always take a double look. It's almost as if they are uncomfortable with confronting the realization that black American women are not a monolithic group. I strongly dislike rap/hip hop because it promotes the most destructive images of black women around the world. Unfortunately, people who have never even encountered a black woman, will often believe that we are all about partying and sex. I take a great deal of pride in my overall appearance and I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women. I tend to be very conservative (in the truest sense). I would never engage in any form of pre-marital sex!

I do however realize that we are all individuals; therefore, I never judge others. I'm simply wondering why people tend to judge me so harshly. It's very odd, but sometimes I get the feeling that people are uncomfortable because I do not fit the 'sassy/finger snapping/ghetto' stereotype.

It's very sad that conservative black women, such as myself are ostracized for having values and morals.
I think pretty, smart people are often perceived harshly - people don't like to confront their biases or stereotypes. The best advice I can give you is NOT to take it to heart. There is a book with the title: "What You Think of Me is None of My Business," and it is absolutely true.

Don't let other people define you. Find a few good friends and enjoy them - don't expect strangers to like you and you won't be disappointed. Also, be as polite and friendly as possible without being a kiss-ass. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM

140 posts, read 121,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think pretty, smart people are often perceived harshly - people don't like to confront their biases or stereotypes. The best advice I can give you is NOT to take it to heart. There is a book with the title: "What You Think of Me is None of My Business," and it is absolutely true.

Don't let other people define you. Find a few good friends and enjoy them - don't expect strangers to like you and you won't be disappointed. Also, be as polite and friendly as possible without being a kiss-ass. Good luck.
You're correct; I shouldn't worry so much about strangers. Also, for the record, I always try to be cordial.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 PM

140 posts, read 121,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That’s the image I had, a young Condoeza Rice (My dream woman)
It's probably a combination of things: She’s in a professional environment, in a suit. but looks like a kid combined with worrying about what people are thinking of her.
I can't help the fact that I look very youthful. It's a combination of genetics, healthy eating and actively exercising (on a consistent basis) my mind, spirit and body...

Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM

7,127 posts, read 8,695,864 times
You seem to have good self-esteem...don't worry about what others think. We could speculate all day as to the reasons(bias or jealous)...but you can only control you!!Good luck!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,827,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
I can't help the fact that I look very youthful. It's a combination of genetics, healthy eating and actively exercising (on a consistent basis) my mind, spirit and body...
Pictures or you're just bluffing.

My antlers are exquisite too Women attain orgasm by just touching them

Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,933,712 times
OP, you sound extremely boring, uptight, and not the type of person most people wish to be around when they're trying to kick back and have a good time.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,744,714 times
I think it has to do with your race. People like to stereotype others especially black women. Common complaints about black women from different races of men are "attitude". How stupid. Not all black women are the same. There is probably a deeper meaning people should say what they really want to say.... In the end it just boils down to racism.

You will NEVER be accepted by white people, just look at obama ( I am not a fan of him either but you get the point) He doesn't act like a stereotypical black man yet the white & asian people still hate him. Asian people are quite racist against black people. Whites have always been racist against black people. You have nothing or anybody to blame but society.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 PM

48,710 posts, read 35,229,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I think it has to do with your race. People like to stereotype others especially black women. Common complaints about black women from different races of men are "attitude". How stupid. Not all black women are the same. There is probably a deeper meaning people should say what they really want to say.... In the end it just boils down to racism.

You will NEVER be accepted by white people, just look at obama ( I am not a fan of him either but you get the point) He doesn't act like a stereotypical black man yet the white & asian people still hate him. Asian people are quite racist against black people. Whites have always been racist against black people. You have nothing or anybody to blame but society.
What the heck?!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM

52,457 posts, read 53,025,630 times
Quote:

You are turning out to be quite the complete and absolute bigot.

Do you realize that more whites voted for Obama then did blacks??

You offend me with your racist rants about white people, this isn't the first time you've said this type of thing before.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,517,125 times
Quote:

IMO, the racism is at its worst in the south and midwest. I grew up about half an hour north of Miami and went to a pretty mixed high school. If people are around other races from a young age, they're less likely to be racist. For me, the town I grew up in was mixed though I grew up on the upper class side of it. Here in big cities(especially NYC and LA), they are very mixed so people are generally accepting of others. In some little hick town in Kansas, you're not going to find that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships