Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,164,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are completely off base on this - both these classy ladies have plenty of self-esteem and self-confidence.

They also have something many in your generation don't - good manners and the understanding of what is and what isn't polite conversation and behavior.
1. I'm not "off base", anybody who throws a hissy fit because somebody ask them their age is(in my opinion) is lacking in self confidence, and is border line immature. I have no problem with somebody asking me my age, or weight, or what I do for a living. I mean come on, get over yourselfs already.

2. I work and interact with people of all different races, age groups, and genders, I have no problem "politely conversating" with people, but at the same time I'm a straight shooter. I don't sugar coat anything, sorry if my dialogue is not politically correct enough for some people.

3. Both ladies are big girls, they can handle them selfs, they don't need you running to their defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
1. I'm not "off base", anybody who throws a hissy fit because somebody ask them their age is(in my opinion) is lacking in self confidence, and is border line immature.

2. I work and interact with people of all different races, age groups, and genders, I have no problem "politely conversating" with people, but at the same time I'm a straight shooter. I don't sugar coat anything, sorry if my dialogue is not politically correct enough for some people.

3. Both ladies are big girls, they can handle them selfs, they don't need you running to their defense.
sigh

Now you are just being rude, and there is no call for that.

Whether you believe it or not, most gentlemen understand that it is impolite and a social faux pas to ask a lady her age.

Somehow you managed to escape being taught this basic rule of manners, so I am trying to explain it to you now.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,288,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It is harder for middleaged and older women to meet eligible men...statistics alone bear that out. Men die earlier than women, on average. A single, straight, eligible, decent guy will not lack for company if he so chooses. In FL retirement circles when a man's spouse dies the "Brisket Brigade" appears...women who show up with food and comfort (wink-wink) trying to hook the man before someone else gets to him. Even the 80 yr old men have their fans, especially in those communities.

So yes, it sucks if you are wanting a relationship and also happen to be over 50 and want a man who is in the age range of say 45 - 55. In online dating the average man wants a woman who is about 10 - 15 years younger than him, once he is over 40. That's been statistically verified. It is what it is.
Well, I'm 45, and if I were single, I would not date a 60-year-old. So men can want all the "younger" women their imagination will let them, that doesn't mean they're going to get said women.

Why would I not date a 60-year-old? First, my current SO is about to turn 35. Too much of a change. My ex-husband was 7 years younger than me, too. It's not that I sought younger men. They just kind of found me. But for the record, I've never been attracted to men more than a few years older than I am. I just don't identify with Baby Boomers. My sisters are 9, 10, and 14 years older than I am. I'd feel like I was playing in their sandbox, not mine.

Second--and this will sound harsh--I bust my butt to stay in reasonable shape, and while I don't have the 24-inch waist I had in my 20s, I am stronger now than, well, ever. (Gotta love weight training!) As awful as this sounds, I know there are only so many years before I start getting the BIG aches and pains that come with age. I don't want to spend the rest of my prime years worrying about someone else's big aches and pains, or that I'm going to kill him in the sack. When I'm in heart attack country, I'll date men in heart attack country, not before, especially with the way many men in the United States don't even go to the doctor unless something is falling off or turning green. Given the choice between dating someone that much older and being alone, I'd rather be alone.

Sounds cold, but there it is.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,029,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
1. I'm not "off base", anybody who throws a hissy fit because somebody ask them their age is(in my opinion) is lacking in self confidence, and is border line immature. I have no problem with somebody asking me my age, or weight, or what I do for a living. I mean come on, get over yourselfs already.

I just fail to see what your need to know is and anyone with an ounce of tact and culture could comprehend that.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Well, I'm 45, and if I were single, I would not date a 60-year-old. So men can want all the "younger" women their imagination will let them, that doesn't mean they're going to get said women.

Why would I not date a 60-year-old? First, my current SO is about to turn 35. Too much of a change. My ex-husband was 7 years younger than me, too. It's not that I sought younger men. They just kind of found me. But for the record, I've never been attracted to men more than a few years older than I am. I just don't identify with Baby Boomers. My sisters are 9, 10, and 14 years older than I am. I'd feel like I was playing in their sandbox, not mine.

Second--and this will sound harsh--I bust my butt to stay in reasonable shape, and while I don't have the 24-inch waist I had in my 20s, I am stronger now than, well, ever. (Gotta love weight training!) As awful as this sounds, I know there are only so many years before I start getting the BIG aches and pains that come with age. I don't want to spend the rest of my prime years worrying about someone else's big aches and pains, or that I'm going to kill him in the sack. When I'm in heart attack country, I'll date men in heart attack country, not before, especially with the way many men in the United States don't even go to the doctor unless something is falling off or turning green. Given the choice between dating someone that much older and being alone, I'd rather be alone.

hahaha - you cradle robber

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,164,602 times
Quote:
sigh

Now you are just being rude, and there is no call for that.

Whether you believe it or not, most gentlemen understand that it is rude and a social faux pas to ask a lady her age.

Somehow you managed to escape being taught this basic rule of manners, so I am trying to explain it to you now.
Your questioning my upbringing, and you call me rude. Lady have a nice day. I'm done here.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,029,199 times
Quote:

I can understand that. The guys I've been attracted to have a youthful energy about them. My current one, extremely so. I dated him 30+ years ago and he puts his 20-something self to shame. I couldn't date them if they couldn't keep up with me.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

One point your post does remind me of is this...there really can be someone out there for just about anyone.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Whether you believe it or not, most gentlemen understand that it is impolite and a social faux pas to ask a lady her age.
Those appear to be almost extinct, LM.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM

973 posts, read 1,707,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being over 50 you still have a good chance at improving your happiness...but once you pass 60 - and I am 61 - no one wants you...cos' dispite what you might think - woman want a future - once you are over 60 you have a bold expiry date clued to your forehead..

You can still be attractive and woman will give you a second look because they still see a bright and handsome man - but they will not give you a third look because ...a little thing goes off in their mind that sounds like this - "Humm - not bad - very handsome and manly...wait a second......He's old" ...plus "He knows to much and I like to rule"..

As for casual sex - men change when they are fully mature - they actually want sex ----and TRUE love..for myself there is casual sex available - but it is not worth the trouble to form an attatchment with a woman - who you really do not love or want - You may hurt the woman - and us older guys have learned through experience that - it is best not too...In other words we are better people now - try explaining that to someone 20 years younger that you might desire.
Well from my vantage point, maybe no one wants you who is 20 years younger than you are. I hardly think that a woman you age or a few years older or younger would think of you having an "expiration date". So why not give THOSE women a chance as it sounds like you are EXACTLY the type of man whom the OP has referred to.... so no sympathy from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships