Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM

37,771 posts, read 46,255,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
lol, just wondering what your definition of "elderly" is and what your mothers age is?

I mean you're like 19 right? So how old could she be??
Oh my gosh. My son is 18! Damn...where IS that cane??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,922,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Plenty of very appealing women over 50. With the added benefit they have matured in the head since they were 22. Much easier to deal with.
This may be the first thing you've ever said that I can agree with

Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There was a time, in this country, when it was considered quite rude to ask how old a woman was. My thoughts are that it is no one's business how old I am. I realize on dating sites, this is part of the sign up and filtering process, so I would avoid them like the plague.

You need to spend some time out in the community. Spend time pursuing your INTERESTS such as art, music, theater, or volunteering. But, for goodness sakes do it where eligible men *might* be present (not the ladies hospital auxiliary). To be really smart you would develop an interest in things that men like, such as astronomy, sports, historical re-enactments, radio controlled vehicles, race cars, shooting, etc. Take some college courses (engineering, math, history, science).

If you find someone who is interesting to talk with pursue the relationship even if he is younger (even much younger). It's just a number and limiting yourself to men that you think are of a "suitable" age is folly.

20yrsinBranson
Thankfully that's a tradition that's dying out. I've never understood why women are ashamed of how old they.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 AM

37,771 posts, read 46,255,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Thankfully that's a tradition that's dying out. I've never understood why women are ashamed of how old they.
It has nothing to do with being ashamed.

It has everything to do with good manners. You don't ask people their age, weight, how much they make....frankly it's none of your business. You never learned that, I guess. Manners are not dying out...I hope. But I suppose that is part of why its harder and harder to find a good partner if people aren't even learning the basics of good manners these days.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,042,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No? Just
read some of the rude comments online about women over 30 if you don't get it.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,579,936 times
Your social life doesn't have to be over until you assume room temperature unless you get totally discouraged or want it to be.

I divorced at 48 following a 25 year marriage and lived like a monk, by choice, for the next two years. At 50 I decided to try a bit of a social life although the prospect scared the hell out of me. A lot had changed between the 1960s and mid-1990s. One thing I knew for sure was that as nice as they may to look at, the last thing I wanted was to be come involved with a younger woman with whom I would likely have little in common. I wanted someone(s) at or near my own age. So much for that stereotype.

I did find that at 50, women at or near my age and quite a few younger ones seemed to come out of the woodwork once they found out that I was "free" and available. There were a number of leading comments, invitations, lightly veiled "openings" that I parried kindly or simply ignored. One thing I was definitely not interested in was a "needy" woman, whether emotionally or otherwise.

I finally got up my courage to ask out a woman I'd known for five years and worked with closely at times and just occasionally at others. She was 48, had been divorced for 18 years and hadn't had any need or use for men for the last 10 of them. Many, myself included, considered her to be the epitome of the "Ice Maiden." Since I wasn't interested in a relationship or marriage and since I admired and respected her professionally and we'd always been able to talk with one another, she seemed like the perfect, non-romantic date - just some pleasant time spent with a friend I'd come to know over the passage of a reasonable amount of years. What could be easier? Now the question was, will she accept an invitation since we'd never seen each other outside of her work or mine and men are not high on her list?

As it turned out, she did, indeed, accept but with some misgivings and trepidation. And as Robert Burn famously said, “Best laid plans o' mice an' men gang aft agley.”

Suffice it to say, two months later we married and last week we celebrated our 15th anniversary.

My point is, age is not necessarily a qualifier nor a disqualifier. While it may be a factor, within every age group I believe there are those who would welcome getting to know someone better from within or close to that same age group. The odds are somewhat better for a man to find someone simply because there are more single women as age increases but it's not a dead-end for women either. It might just take some time and could take a lot of work. Being discouraged won't help. Best of luck to all of you. And perhaps the right people will come around best when you're looking the least.

Is it over for over 50? I think not!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,922,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Your social life doesn't have to be over until you assume room temperature unless you get totally discouraged or want it to be.

I divorced at 48 following a 25 year marriage and lived like a monk, by choice, for the next two years. At 50 I decided to try a bit of a social life although the prospect scared the hell out of me. A lot had changed between the 1960s and mid-1990s. One thing I knew for sure was that as nice as they may to look at, the last thing I wanted was to be come involved with a younger woman with whom I would likely have little in common. I wanted someone(s) at or near my own age. So much for that stereotype.

I did find that at 50, women at or near my age and quite a few younger ones seemed to come out of the woodwork once they found out that I was "free" and available. There were a number of leading comments, invitations, lightly veiled "openings" that I parried kindly or simply ignored. One thing I was definitely not interested in was a "needy" woman, whether emotionally or otherwise.

I finally got up my courage to ask out a woman I'd known for five years and worked with closely at times and just occasionally at others. She was 48, had been divorced for 18 years and hadn't had any need or use for men for the last 10 of them. Many, myself included, considered her to be the epitome of the "Ice Maiden." Since I wasn't interested in a relationship or marriage and since I admired and respected her professionally and we'd always been able to talk with one another, she seemed like the perfect, non-romantic date - just some pleasant time spent with a friend I'd come to know over the passage of a reasonable amount of years. What could be easier? Now the question was, will she accept an invitation since we'd never seen each other outside of her work or mine and men are not high on her list?

As it turned out, she did, indeed, accept but with some misgivings and trepidation. And as Robert Burn famously said, “Best laid plans o' mice an' men gang aft agley.”

Suffice it to say, two months later we married and last week we celebrated our 15th anniversary.

My point is, age is not necessarily a qualifier nor a disqualifier. While it may be a factor, within every age group I believe there are those who would welcome getting to know someone better from within or close to that same age group. The odds are somewhat better for a man to find someone simply because there are more single women as age increases but it's not a dead-end for women either. It might just take some time and could take a lot of work. Being discouraged won't help. Best of luck to all of you. And perhaps the right people will come around best when you're looking the least.

Is it over for over 50? I think not!
Congrats my friend - you are a shining example to anyone foolish enough to believe that life is "over" at 50

Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM

18,344 posts, read 15,860,587 times
Life isn't "over" at 50, but dating or finding a long term relationship that leads to marriage CAN be more difficult for WOMEN. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it's not the same as when one is in their 20s and 30s. Men continue to have a larger pool available to them, even after age 50. These are not absolutes. There is the potential for most normal people to meet someone and be compatible.

But statistically, the numbers skew less for women over 50. The trick is doing the best you can with what you've got and finding ways to be fulfilled.

I've rationalized this for myself this way:

<rationalization>

since I believe we live many lifetimes, I probably was, in some prior lifetime, married with children, and perhaps will be again in some future lifetime, so if I consider the entire journey my soul may take, and not just focus on this one (single, no kids, never married) lifetime, then !

</rationalization>

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It has nothing to do with being ashamed.

It has everything to do with good manners. You don't ask people their age, weight, how much they make....frankly it's none of your business. You never learned that, I guess. Manners are not dying out...I hope. But I suppose that is part of why its harder and harder to find a good partner if people aren't even learning the basics of good manners these days.
If a women is talking about dating and being in a relationship, it is MY business. And then I can decide if I want to date that person or date. Some of you women, need to get over yourselfs, no wonder some of you have problems dating.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,018,875 times
Hmmmm. I'm spending my last days as a 49 year old man. I have not tried online dating. I doubt that I will. I seem to meet women everywhere I go, not sure why. While I have spent a little time with some of them I haven't responded to any of them in regards to a deeper relationship. My divorce is not a year gone yet and I don't really know whats broken inside me but I know it is broken and I am not ready to reach out yet. I don't know why that door is closed or what prevents me from opening it. At any rate my thought is that I am normal, not bad or good. I am meeting women. It seems to me if you are out and active you will be meeting men. They either are not responding or you are not recognizing that they are responding. Not sure which. I don't mean this as a criticism but are you sure you are out there and open? Have you asked someone you trust whether you seem open, if you have something that may be keeping men from responding? Maybe like me you have a door that is closed. I can see mine but it may be that you cannot perceive yours from the inside out. Or it could be that something else you don't recognize is affecting your attractiveness to men. Again not a criticism, sometimes I think the hardest thing to see objectively is ourselves.

Keep your chin up, without belief the world would stop spinning. Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships