Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,589,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Statistics to prove that assumption?

Really? You need statistics on this? You really think most women make more money then their husbands on the day of the wedding?

Not that I'm too lazy, or don't want to forward you some books, but I'm not going out of my way to PROVE the OBVIOUS that women practice hypergamy.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,301,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Really? You need statistics on this? You really think most women make more money then their husbands on the day of the wedding?

Not that I'm too lazy, or don't want to forward you some books, but I'm not going out of my way to PROVE the OBVIOUS that women practice hypergamy.
Yes I do. Especially if the man is white and lacks an education.

Women are far more likely to move up the ladder of employment faster and easier than men because everyone loves a pretty woman.

It isn't fair but that is the truth. It is later in life when men generally become the better providers.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:

Most women make less because of the fields they tend to go into genius. Women go into more social oriented fields which happen to pay less, and also are more prone to staying home.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,289,191 times
Quote:
I married a man who was born into money and I come from a dirt poor welfare background. There was no financial gain in marrying me. Now however I do work and I have a college degree but even if I was at the top of my field I still couldn't come close to what He makes.

However that doesn't mean that I don't make up for that in other areas.

I don't think money is the sole reasoning behind labelling someone as a catch or not. Especially since bad things happen even to rich folks. Just look at what has happened since the economy tanked.

Oh, believe me, I agree with you. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the kind of moronic presumption it takes to say that Dew is with her husband because she couldn't attract a man of "higher status" and then package that up in psychobabble terminology like "hypergamy."

Gawd, I hope some people never, ever breed.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
Quote:
Not that I'm avoiding your question but the problem is not that men don't make enough money in this country, but the fact that Western women are never satisfied with what American men make. 30k, 100k, 300k, 50 million, hell, it does not matter because women are always looking for the better deal which is backed up by the divorce statistics that state that you girls initiate divorce more so then men.

Women Initiate Divorce 66% of The Time: Why Do They Want To Get Married? | Love + Sex - Yahoo! Shine

Men don't view women in this cold calculating way. Men don't go around like women looking for their "equals" or women of high status.

As a man I want to be in the company of a healthy, attractive, young woman who has a kind heart and is sweet. That's it. Simple.

So, like most American men, you want a hot, skinny young girl who goes along with whatever you want (code words: kind hearted and sweet).

Honestly, I wish I was judged more on my accomplishments and who I actually am as a person as a woman because I'm not that attractive and I'm far too tall for most men so they immediately write me off. If men are 'allowed' to be extremely physically shallow, why can't women look for a man with money? Is that not basically the same thing?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,289,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Most women make less because of the fields they tend to go into genius. Women go into more social oriented fields which happen to pay less, and also are more prone to staying home.
Hmmm, and why do "pink collar" jobs pay less? Could it be that society has traditionally viewed the things that women are drawn to as "less important" because women are drawn to them? You know, because women were traditionally viewed as "less important," themselves?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Hmmm, and why do "pink collar" jobs pay less? Could it be that society has traditionally viewed the things that women are drawn to as "less important" because women are drawn to them? You know, because women were traditionally viewed as "less important," themselves?

I'm sure that factors in, but other reasons are just based off of the fact the fields are social and don't really produce profits. And often are paid by state taxes which makes it hard to pay a high wage.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,589,773 times
Quote:

Women are far more likely to move up the ladder of employment faster and easier than men because everyone loves a pretty woman.

It isn't fair but that is the truth. It is later in life when men generally become the better providers.
True, but still, women generally marry men who make more then them, or they marry men who they think have the POTENTIAL to make more then them.

For example, a female doctor is NOT going to marry a male nurse, a female professional athlete is NOT going to marry a bus driver, or a female CEO might not even get married at all because she claims she can't find a man who is "on her level."

Women marry men who they feel are on their level, but they generally aim for much higher.

How Professional Women Can Objectify Men (and why Waitresses Don't)

How Professional Women Can Objectify Men (and Why Waitresses Don

Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,404,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That's only a small part of it...American men treat women well and put them on a pedestal...they do not get that pampering in their own countries. Women in America do not appreciate guys like me whereas a women from Asia most likely would. Women in other countries have less options than American women and the playing field is more even. Women in America like to play the field with 20 different guys they can only do this because so many men want to be players. When they find out none of the men will commit then they whine there are no good men. American women are the most materialistic women in the world, it's a fact. So a guy like me that isn't loaded and doesn't have power/social status has a hard time meeting quality women. Even though I have a long list of qualities.
If you don't have any game, don't blame the players. Learn how to play.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,301,235 times
Quote:
True, but still, women generally marry men who make more then them, or they marry men who they think have the POTENTIAL to make more then them.

For example, a female doctor is NOT going to marry a male nurse, a female professional athlete is not going to marry a bus driver, or a female CEO might not even get married at all because she claims she can't find a man who is "on her level."

Women marry men who they feel are on their level, but they generally aim for much higher.

How Professional Women Can Obejectify Men (and why Waitresses Don't)

How Professional Women Can Objectify Men (and Why Waitresses Don

Potential is not a guarantee. Who would want to marry someone without potential for something greater than they are now? Male or female that doesn't matter because relationships change and people change. I view a man who doesn't do something with himself as lazy. I feel the same way about women. I don't want someone who is content where they are when they are in their 20's or 30's and does nothing with themselves. I certainly plan to work as hard as I can to improve and advance myself and live up to my potential and I expect my Husband to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships