Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,035,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Women have roles too. Now get your ass in there and cook my dinner!
LOL! I have no problem with this as long as you're doing YOUR part.

If a man is good to me I have no problem treating him well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Obviously, having to serve customers such as yourself.
Yea, that definitely makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I hate how other people are so invested in how other people tip. It's just ridiculous and unethical.

If you are generous, you should show that in "your" money.
Translation: "I am a lousy tipper. I don't care how hard the waitress worked to bring me my food. I don't care how good the suggestions were or how the waitstaff made sure the meal was cooked to my order. Nope. I'm going to pay absolutely the bare minimum to the waiter in question because I am cheap. And now I'm going to give you an incredibly convoluted argument justifying my cheapness, telling you how it is really virtuous behavior on my part."

Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
I hate how other people are so invested in how other people tip. It's just ridiculous and unethical.

Unethical? Your posts confuses me...

Anyway - when I married my husband - "my" money and "his" money became "our" money. Like I said - I'm a generous person. I want to spend my life with a generous person. It's important to me. I like having people over to dinner. I like taking people out to dinner. I like buy gifts for people. I like doing nice things for people. I want to be with someone who won't try to talk me out of being a generous person. Being a bad tipper would be a huge red flag for me. I also like to go to restaurants as a repeat customer. I would be humiliated to show my face somewhere if I had gone there with someone who didn't tip.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,991 times
Quote:

If they truly cared, they'd cook at home, and donate the money they'd save to starving kids in 3rd world countries.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Unethical? Your posts confuses me...

Anyway - when I married my husband - "my" money and "his" money became "our" money. Like I said - I'm a generous person. I want to spend my life with a generous person. It's important to me. I like having people over to dinner. I like taking people out to dinner. I like buy gifts for people. I like doing nice things for people. I want to be with someone who won't try to talk me out of being a generous person. Being a bad tipper would be a huge red flag for me. I also like to go to restaurants as a repeat customer. I would be humiliated to show my face somewhere if I had gone there with someone who didn't tip.
If you wanna line up all waiters/waitresses, drop 20 bucks on each, well, that's a noble thing to do.

Has nothing to do with you and your husband. So stop projecting.

Person A pays for something out of his wallet. What entitles you to an opinion of how he/she exercises his/her wallet, given that it has nothing to do with you.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Yet, the payer paid from his wallet, not yours. So what entitles you to your opinion here?
Really? Ummmm....this is a relationship forum. You know, where Person A asks question and people come in with their thoughts on the subject. Funny how that works.

Here's the deal. The waitstaff makes their money off tips. Period. End of story. Waiting tables is really, really hard work, and tips provide a kind of commission system where compensation depends on how well that person does his or her job. 15% for competent service, more for really good service. So if you don't like that system, then either don't go to a sit-down restaurant or eat at Hardee's. For if you choose to go to a sit-down restaurant with table service, then that is a tacit agreement on your part that you will conform to what we deem to be correct treatment of the people who work in that restaurant.

With that in mind, a person who eats a $20 meal and can only muster a $1 tip is pretty much a self-centered lowlife, one who seems to think none of this applies to him. What's more, it's a pretty good indicator what that guy is going to be like for the OP if she chose to continue the relationship. As I have said a million times on this board (Sierra, are you listening?), the best single evidence of a person's character is how a person treats people like waiters, sales clerks, and the like. Because, in six months, that's how the person in question will be treating you.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
We are all entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to think he's cheap. We aren't entitled to have him arrested or anything - but we certainly are entitled to our thoughts!
Then we're all entitled to think you should mind your own fricking business.

Mod comment: Folks, see Post #186. Just to clarify, this was not intended as a personal attack.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-13-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Really? Ummmm....this is a relationship forum. You know, where Person A asks question and people come in with their thoughts on the subject.

Here's the deal. The waitstaff makes their money off tips. Period. End of story. And waiting tables is really, really hard work. So if you don't like that system, then either don't go to a sit-down restaurant or eat at Hardee's. For if you choose to go to a sit-down restaurant, then that is a tacit agreement on your part that you will conform to what we deem to be correct treatment of the people who work in that restaurant.

So a person who eats a $20 meal and can only muster a $1 tip is pretty much a self-centered lowlife. What's more, it's a pretty good indicator what that guy is going to be like for the OP if she chose to continue the relationship. As I have said a million times on this board (Sierra, are you listening?), the best single evidence of a person's character is how a person treats people like waiters, sales clerks, and the like. Because, in six months, that's how the person in question will be treating you.
Mod cut: Rude.

Fiscal conservatism spreads in all kinds of ways. The only fault I will find with the man is not offering to pay for his date, coz that conflicts with chivalry. But none of us (even the date) have any right or reason to dictate what he chooses to pay for with his wallet, especially when it's a personal choice of tipping. And that's period too.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-13-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
If you wanna line up all waiters/waitresses, drop 20 bucks on each, well, that's a noble thing to do.

Has nothing to do with you and your husband. So stop projecting.

Person A pays for something out of his wallet. What entitles you to an opinion of how he/she exercises his/her wallet, given that it has nothing to do with you.
Quote:
Then we're all entitled to think you should mind your own fricking business.
Mod cut: Orphaned; off topic.
Someone here started a thread based on a guy wanting her to go dutch. This guy also was a lousy tipper. So other posters on here chime in with their 2 cents. My two cents is that I wouldn't want to date a lousy tipper. It tells me that they are not generous. This is my opinion. The OP started a thread because she wanted to hear other people's personal opinions. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-13-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships