Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1a View Post
The only time I spend with a female is the woman I am dating and intimate with.
Its unhealthy to spend your time with women who are so called friends, they aren't
You need great guy friends and a good woman as your SO
Thats it, none of this friend stuff, they aren't real friends.
A real friend has your back in a fight, can help you fix your car, hike and mtn climb with you, etc.
Your wife, gf, fiance is your SO you can teach or do those things with.
Gay men have females as their friends, nothing wrong with gay men but if you are straight, its not normal to have female friends (work doesn't count, thats work - and a contrived environment, and the girl who set you up with her friend, isn't your friend like your male friend, she is an acquantiance, barely)
Bingo, dump the women friends.
I kept in contact with some girls from college afterward, but what for?
Correct.
Guys should have guys as the majority of their friends, and women as SO's or maybe someone you date.
Women should have the mirror-image situation.
It's better that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Bingo, dump the women friends.
I kept in contact with some girls from college afterward, but what for?
Correct.
Guys should have guys as the majority of their friends, and women as SO's or maybe someone you date.
Women should have the mirror-image situation.
It's better that way.
Wow if I played by your rules I would only have about 3 friends.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM

73 posts, read 156,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Nah, it wasn't meant as a cheap shot.

You came out and suggested my bud was desperate and pathetic because he waited for a woman.

To which I respond ... not everybody's lives are the same.

If my buddy looked like a model and was a smooth talker, could he have gotten her at first swing? Yes, probably. He's not. Far from. Won't get into it, but he got her doing his thing.

The world ain't fair. Just because you turned down 20 guys to the junior homecoming dance doesn't mean a guy is pathetic because he's a 25 year old virgin.

Sometimes you have to view lives from other people's perspectives...
He must know deep down that he's her backup plan, he obviously had feelings for her that weren't mutual. Far from ideal IMO, and not much of a success story.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Is the same true for when men friend zone women? Just wondering...
Do men actually do this? Generally, this is when a woman strings a guy along for what he can provide her, without any need for a commitment or even anything in return. Generally, guys can support themselves and provide the "heavy lifting" in their life.

In comparison, women can be very needy and will think nothing of using men whenever they can. Guys can fall into this trap because relationships are generally seen as men providing for women and they initially don't realize that they are being used. This will seldom occur in reverse, except in the most perverse ways.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Felson View Post
hope this link works: http://davidcollard.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/women-policing-the-heirarchy/ (broken link)

That is a pretty "out there" link, Eddie. Did you read the rest of his posts?

Also, relevant to this thread I think:
"
A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy"

-
Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM

654 posts, read 3,456,367 times
I've been put in the friend zone myself a few times in my past. And for me, it doesn't feel good at all.

In my case its never been about the sex because to me that's secondary, and often wears off after a time. At the time when I was interested in dating, I simply wanted someone to accept me for me, and I had no problem in building a solid friendship, as that's how most solid relationships begin from anyway.

But over time, I just got tired of having to put in so much energy, time and money into trying to know someone new, only to be put into the friend-zone. Or to be told "we will only be nothing but just friends". Talking about a confidence breaker.

And the bad thing about it is, is that it makes one feel that its all they are good for, and that they're aren't any good for anything else.

So for myself, I just stay away from the dating game/scene just because I just don't want to be bothered anymore. There are always women who always wonder where the good men are; they are everywhere, even right in front of them; women just simply ignore and overlook them.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 AM

376 posts, read 665,366 times
you must be young.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Do men actually do this? Generally, this is when a woman strings a guy along for what he can provide her, without any need for a commitment or even anything in return. Generally, guys can support themselves and provide the "heavy lifting" in their life.

In comparison, women can be very needy and will think nothing of using men whenever they can. Guys can fall into this trap because relationships are generally seen as men providing for women and they initially don't realize that they are being used. This will seldom occur in reverse, except in the most perverse ways.
I don't know any guys who have done it, at least not in a manipulative way like women often do. Maybe the girl has really attractive friends so she's deemed cool by association and then she won't c*ckblock. Men have a natural "drive" to protect and provide and many women will exploit that.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
That is a pretty "out there" link, Eddie. Did you read the rest of his posts?

Also, relevant to this thread I think:
"
A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy"

-
Friedrich Nietzsche

No, just that one and the comments of course. I believe it's meant to be taken with a grain of salt, but explains some of the cattiness common of women especially when young. It seems turning a guy down isn't enough for many of them, they feel the need to give him a public trashing thereby cementing him beneath them.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I've been put in the friend zone myself a few times in my past. And for me, it doesn't feel good at all.

In my case its never been about the sex because to me that's secondary, and often wears off after a time. At the time when I was interested in dating, I simply wanted someone to accept me for me, and I had no problem in building a solid friendship, as that's how most solid relationships begin from anyway.

But over time, I just got tired of having to put in so much energy, time and money into trying to know someone new, only to be put into the friend-zone. Or to be told "we will only be nothing but just friends". Talking about a confidence breaker.

And the bad thing about it is, is that it makes one feel that its all they are good for, and that they're aren't any good for anything else.

So for myself, I just stay away from the dating game/scene just because I just don't want to be bothered anymore. There are always women who always wonder where the good men are; they are everywhere, even right in front of them; women just simply ignore and overlook them.

I've had this happen to me numerous times and I am a woman. Yeah it blows to spend time with a guy, have everything in common with them, think something might happen, and then when you put yourself out there and get back a line like "oh you are just too good for me, and you are like a sister to me anyway." then the next thing you know he's seeing some bimbo that wouldn't know what he liked if it bit her in the face. Prime example is the first guy that I possibly ever loved who was in a band. I went to all of their shows, meanwhile the girl he found couldn't be bothered to sit thru one of their sets.

Even more awesome for us ladies who get friend zoned, sometimes the guys think that they can disapprove of whomever we end up being interested in when they take the brother idea too far.

So, now I just assume they don't want me rather than making an effort. In fact I will be seeing a friend that I am soooo into in a few weeks and we have sooo much in common and I am just going to make sure I don't make a fool out of myself.

Oh and lol at you guys who think we are terrible beasts that only do thIs to you guys and it never happens vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships