Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,111,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Does anyone have a story of when they got friend-zoned inititally but the other person eventually fall in love with them?

That happens a lot in movies but I'm not sure if it's common in real life.

I did get friend-zoned by a girl. I was bitter about but now I'm just happy that we're still (good) friends. Since we're both in our early 20s, she might not be mature enough. Maybe she'll change her mind after 5 years.
I sure do dude.

A friend of mine met a woman in his early 20s, and was smitten. Love at first sight type deal. He decided to pursue her with all his energy. At first, she totally declined. After about a year or so, she started to cave a bit and I think there might have been a small amount of physical action (maybe a little kissing or so).

Soon after, she left the country and him. He continued to fly to her home country several times a year. She eventually got married to another man and had a child. He kept at it. Finally, after about ten years, and waiting out a divorce and a child with another man, she just caved in last year and he put a ring around her finger.

That's persistence my friends.

Just as a sidenote, he did pursue some other women on the side but didn't fare so well as far as I know. But she was always his #1 goal.

So, yes, it can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,241,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I sure do dude.

A friend of mine met a woman in his early 20s, and was smitten. Love at first sight type deal. He decided to pursue her with all his energy. At first, she totally declined. After about a year or so, she started to cave a bit and I think there might have been a small amount of physical action (maybe a little kissing or so).

Soon after, she left the country and him. He continued to fly to her home country several times a year. She eventually got married to another man and had a child. He kept at it. Finally, after about ten years, and waiting out a divorce and a child with another man, she just caved in last year and he put a ring around her finger.

Just as a sidenote, he did pursue some other women on the side but didn't fare so well as far as I know. But she was always his #1 goal.

So, yes, it can happen.
That sounds more like stalking

Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
I sure do dude.

So, yes, it can happen.
I wouldn't pursue anybody that much. I need the other person to have some interest in me.

I don't want to have to wear them down........

Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,205,220 times
Quote:
I sure do dude.

So, yes, it can happen.

He wasn't getting her because he was pursuing her too hard and too much and it isn't endearing it's desperation - pretty much an unattractive quality.

And what is so great about being someone's consolation prize?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM

788 posts, read 1,272,626 times
Not necessarily. I had a friend that my other friends wanted me to date. He was beautiful, had a great personality, was a super nice guy, but I just wasn't attracted to him. I don't know why because I knew he was really attractive, but I still had no interest in anything romantic with him. Sometimes there's just no interest other than friendship.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
He wasn't getting her because he was pursuing her too hard and too much and it isn't endearing it's desperation - pretty much an unattractive quality.

And what is so great about being someone's consolation prize?
To you it is desperation...

To her, it was her best friend who had proved over the course of a decade worth of life that he was willing to put her above all else in life, save maybe his own immediate family, including doing anything for her including caring for another man's child.

Instead she should marry some pretty boy who has three children with three different mothers because he gets her hot between the legs? Uh-huh...

I'm not condoning this approach but I do respect my friend for managing to scratch and claw his way out of the friendzone.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
I'm not condoning this approach but I do respect my friend for managing to scratch and claw his way out of the friendzone.
What is so great about him begging for friggin scraps???

Sorry to be harsh, but lets not sugar coat this shall we.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Not necessarily. I had a friend that my other friends wanted me to date. He was beautiful, had a great personality, was a super nice guy, but I just wasn't attracted to him. I don't know why because I knew he was really attractive, but I still had no interest in anything romantic with him. Sometimes there's just no interest other than friendship.
Every now and then there is a woman like you who comes along who looks for things other than looks I'd say. But it's rare.

From women I've observed...

"Bob is hot. I'd date Bob."

"Bob is really cute. I'd go out with Bob."

"Bob is good looking. I'd get with Bob."

Etc, etc, etc...

Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,205,220 times
Quote:
To you it is desperation...

To her, it was her best friend who had proved over the course of a decade worth of life that he was willing to put her above all else in life, save maybe his own immediate family, including doing anything for her including caring for another man's child.

Instead she should marry some pretty boy who has three children with three different mothers because he gets her hot between the legs? Uh-huh...

She moved on and lived her life with another man and had a family with him and he was pining away for her and when she was standing there alone without a husband anymore he was an issue of convenience - a father for her kids. How the hell would you even know what it was to her or what she was thinking.

He was her LAST RESORT not her first choice, but he'll do now that she's been dumped and strapped with the kids.

And no one said anything about marrying some pretty boy. See you can't even read a post how in the world do you think you could read her mind.

Trust me, I know many women who have pulled this maneuver.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What is so great about him begging for friggin scraps???

Sorry to be harsh, but lets not sugar coat this shall we.
Well, you know, everybody lives their own lives.

He knew that she was what he wanted. She was pretty, well dressed, trophy wifeish (at least when she was younger ), and a decent person. I knew her as well and was friends with her back then. He's into being the provider and the breadwinner role.

Why does it matter how you got there as long as you end up where you wanna be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships