Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Too true.
And it's not a bad thing, really. They deserve to complain.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
my mind tells me most are evenly matched but my ears tell me most feel they should be with a movie star and there has been some sort of terrible misunderstanding.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The article is not a publication. The website is in encyclopedia form. You can read about it here. You can find this article, and others like it, on other encyclopedia sites like encyclopedia.com. Here is the expanded article with bibliography.

I think it's a bit of laziness, an inability to verify information online, and a lack of understanding of what data is. Clearly, it takes effort for you guys. As far as any tempter tantrum goes, geesh, you're quite the delicate flower. NRN has been making the same complaints for years. I call it out. Now, don't worry yourself about it. Or, perhaps you're playing white knight? How sweet.

No I just think every once in a while it's good to appease an old woman, let the world know you have something of a heart.

Quote:
This is what you state "I find it quite telling that he cites Stepfathers and Boyfriends as high risk child abusers when it's documented that women incite half of domestic violence disputes against men (and boys)."

Those are two different issues. The first addressing child abuse. The second addressing domestic violence. What does one have to do with the other? So, it makes no sense to state "how can he say this about A when there is this thing about B". If you take issue with the assertion that child abuse is higher in step situations make the case with your own links.
Child abuse can fall under the spectrum of domestic violence, in that manner it pertains to the discussion. If you have children and your'e in a terrible relationship where abuse is habitually occurring your children are being hurt as well (whether it be emotionally, physically etc.), not only is it abuse it's domestic violence. Some people (and different countries) would call it "family violence" but I say call a spade a spade, they're analogous.

This puts us onto a tangent of another discussion what's considered "domestic violence". I can see already that we both have our own definitions but that is another discussion for either DM or another forum on CD.

Quote:
You could, but what difference does it make to the statement? Anecdotes and one off's does not disprove the reported data for the population.

I was quite clear as to why I linked them and what my opinion is. Men remarry at greater rates because they do not do as well on their own. I can write about my anecdotes, but would anyone really give a rat's ass about my anecdotes? I think not. The literature holds more significance.

"reported data" or just more propaganda?

No you didn't make your point clear. You made a regurgitated point clear. I'm a bit more interested in what you have (or at least had) to say. Debates aren't about repeating articles that you've read verbatim, what your doing is akin to a jazz pianist who finds the notion of improvisation foreign. Literature can hold significance but empirical data can often show something different, as well as disproving stats (which in this arena already have more than enough bias).

It would be interesting to read your anecdotes but the fact you'd choose to discuss the literature with a feigned stoicism is more than enough evidence one can need to gain some insight (into your anecdotes).

Quote:
No. A man started the conversation. The OP stated that he liked his analysis. I added my two cents. If you guys don't want women adding to the conversation then go to a male only site. Or, stop being so lazy and realize what you're actually saying.
I had to re - quote this. It's quite funny to see again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Stop lying. Is that all you guys can do? Lie, b*tch and complain that you can't get a woman to put up with you, b*tch and complain about other men, b*tch and complain about money, b*tch and complain about everything. I provide links from psych literature, but none of you guys ever bother to read it. You're lazy and that's exactly why you are where you are. With that said, my links aren't even needed. Your posts show that you are not doing well on your own at all. Otherwise, you would not be b*tching and complaining.
Hmmm

So you don't give a rat's derrière about adding a bit of your own personal evidence to back but you'll take the inference (and truth) of someone else's over your own? (while complaining about it).

What are you actually saying?

Your giving that little guy a workout!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Child abuse can fall under the spectrum of domestic violence, in that manner it pertains to the discussion. If you have children and your'e in a terrible relationship where abuse is habitually occurring your children are being hurt as well (whether it be emotionally, physically etc.), not only is it abuse it's domestic violence. Some people (and different countries) would call it "family violence" but I say call a spade a spade, they're analogous.
Your attempts to make the statement make sense are failing. It's not sound reasoning. You can keep making stuff up as you go, but it's not going to change the fact that the article clearly noted child abuse in step families and you followed up with a DV from the CDC involving spousal violence.

Quote:
Hmmm
I know, it's too difficult for you to grasp. You just can't read too many pages back.
Quote:
So you don't give a rat's derrière about adding a bit of your own personal evidence to back but you'll take the inference (and truth) of someone else's over your own? (while complaining about it).
Where in that quote is my personal evidence? Data from census is not my personal evidence. Data from whatever article or study is not my personal evidence. The fact remains that NRN makes the same complaints month after month, year after year. A handful of them here do that. It will never change. I'm sure you guys will be saying the exact same thing 5-10-20 years down the road until you kick the bucket.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships