Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jma500 View Post
I am generally confident about my photography, but when it comes to women I always doubt myself. I can't seem to ask them out. I can talk to them but even when the interest is obvious I can't make myself believe that they would be interested in dating me. This has cost me several women over the last fifteen years. Four in the last year alone. I know this issue is confidence/self esteem related. How can I fix this so I can start to live my life fully and stop losing out?
You are basically a salesman who can handle the pitch but do not know how to close the sale. Your problem is with one word: "Ask"

Don't "ask" women out. Simply plan an enjoyable event for yourself, one which can readily and effortlessly accommodate a guest, and invite one of these women to join you. "I'm going to such and such place at such and such time; I can pick you up at such other place at such other time; why don't you join me?"

You are direct, have given her nothing to think about regarding planning and logistics, so all she can say is yes or no. If yes, great. If no, also great because it is something you would be doing anyway.

Self esteem is simple (but not easy) to build: Acknowledge that you are no better or worse, no more or less special than any other person on the planet. In addition to your photography, engage in the other things you excel at. Get some solid accomplishments and victories (personal and professional) under your belt and watch how your esteem issues melt away.

It won't happen overnight, but will occur more quickly than you realize if you approach it with earnestness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM

86 posts, read 99,376 times
I am in a lull right now. But I hope to meet more women soon so I can try this approach. Sounds sensible and doable.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,937 times
This thread has the color red written all over it. I don't know whether to send my heart out to this guy, or start chucking tomatoes.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM

Huh?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,937 times
Quote:
Huh?
I'm not sure if you genuinely need advice, or if this is a ploy to attract women. It's not often I find a 43 year old man who's looking for advice on how to handle "twenty somethings", flirting with him. I dunno. I mean, are you bragging, or do you need advice?

Last edited by Just1Fan; 04-01-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I do not 'hate' you. I don't like most of the people in general b/c of their ways....anyways, you think by this OP 1. going to the gym 2. getting some clothes and 3. just taking shots at asking people out is going to amount to something?

Well I am saying it's not going to change much of anything. Why? Because I did that and again it resulted in nothing for years. That's why every time someone says 'oh just smile' or 'just beleive you can get any guy' I tell them what a crock it is b/c it does not work. What ends up happening is you end up seeing how they really couldn't care less how great you think you are -- you are still ugly and/or socially retarded (if those are what your problems are). You just end up looking delusional and stupid. So much for all this so called self esteem crap, goes right out the window! Everyone cannot become 'a catch' if that was so they would've done it by now. This OP have to realize they are going up against dozens of other males that have had real life results with women, women are going to pick the ones that are the most viable. The men do the same except it's based mostly on looks.
Confidence has worked well for me...

Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,078 times
Quote:
I am generally confident about my photography, but when it comes to women I always doubt myself. I can't seem to ask them out. I can talk to them but even when the interest is obvious I can't make myself believe that they would be interested in dating me. This has cost me several women over the last fifteen years. Four in the last year alone. I know this issue is confidence/self esteem related. How can I fix this so I can start to live my life fully and stop losing out?
Dig down deep inside of yourself. Think of something you are really-really good at that no one else can compete with. Let it build up and fire away!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM

I am asking for advice just1fan. Through I had the interest due to my insecurties I didn't take it any further and lost them. Nothing to brag about there.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,752,078 times
Quote:
I am asking for advice just1fan. Through I had the interest due to my insecurties I didn't take it any further and lost them. Nothing to brag about there.
How did you lose their interest? They just didn't like you for you, or what?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM

One I waited to long to ask out and then found out she no longer worked where I met her. The others I was too nervous to get to know beyond flirting with them and then they were gone as well. With all four I kept talking myself out of going further and/or asking them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships