Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
there ya go....I hear so many people use the argument, wull, you don't want to die alone, do you?????? I can't believe that concept...I came into this world alone, didn't I. And I'll go out, I hope with some dignity. But, certainly I don't want to put anyone thru that..just because I fear dying alone?

Good for you....

Are ya still stuck, or are ya starting to like PA? I hope so, I love it here...also love Colorado, but to far from the ocean for me. LOL

Hugs
Creme
yep came in kickin n screamin, goin out the same way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
I'm 34 and single and pretty much have a great life for the most part, there are days that I totally enjoy my freedom and there are days that I definitely feel very alone...but I think it would be nicer to share my life with someone, I don't think past a certain age, perhaps mid 30s, it's wise to be single...the world is just not designed for single people. Most of my friends are married by now and really can't hang out with me anymore so it becomes difficult.

Why am I still single? Well, just concentrated on my career so far...which has paid off very well, but the side effect is that I have limited relationship experience and have become so comfortable with the single life that I have to try hard to break out of it.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:26 PM

16 posts, read 44,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.coola288 View Post
single ? who wants to single ? It is a crasy action , I think . Do you like having meal , watching TV or film , walking , singing even attending friends 'party by only yourself ? Dont you like getting othes'caring and helpness ? Dont you want a child around you and smile at you ? Do you hope to die when you old enough without anybody know ? then , you will realice how important the wife or hunsband is .

Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.coola288 View Post
Not really! Single is great. You just have to be secure and not so needy.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 PM

76 posts, read 162,795 times
Well, I'm divorced & 52, I have a good life, & while I'm holding out for that special lady, I won't hold my breath. I like a sane comfortable life of independence. I'm done raising kids. Sure...I welcome romance, but it is not the be all & end all for me. I don't want to re-marry at this point. I fill my life with service organization activities & volunteering. what few avocations I enjoy & hte few social circles I'm in, & my career offer me fulfillment. I consider myself blessed, & yes...someday I will share this with that special lady, who may be between 40 & 50, & is in a similar place in her life as I am.
Seems idealistic? perhaps. Hope...is alive. I haven't given up yet.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Default mixed feelings

I love the total honesty in this thread. Very impressive. That said, I have very mixed feelings about being single. I am in my early 30s and single, never been married although I've been engaged. In my 20s, I never had problems finding a date and was actually never single. I guess I felt I needed to have someone around 24/7. After my last relationship went south, I decided to take a break and now it's been 4 yrs since I've been in a relationship. I love my freedom. I am actually afraid to get into another one since the last 2 ones ended so badly. I NEVER want to go thru that again. I don't think I can take another broken heart but at the same time, I would like to eventually find someone. Do you think it's possible to be permanantly scarred from a bad relationship? I do NOT hate men and am not bitter but I am feeling quite cautious. How do you put those fears away after a terrible experience?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 AM

72 posts, read 190,335 times
sometimes you need sombody else to wake up with or just talk to you but i repect your feelings

Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Do you think it's possible to be permanantly scarred from a bad relationship? I do NOT hate men and am not bitter but I am feeling quite cautious. How do you put those fears away after a terrible experience?
I think this is the main impediment to successful marriage today. The things I saw when I was in my late teens through mid twenties leads me to believe that few women don't end up this way unless they are lucky or determined enough to get it right from the start. Unfortunately, in far too many cases, while young, they fall for the guys who are most likely to use and abuse. If women could hear what the average guy hears, they'd understand.

At one time, people were more likely to date people whose background they either knew or was known by someone close to them. Such using behavior would not work for men in this environment. For nearly everyone today, life is more impersonal and its the operators who thrive in this environment.

Then when women subsequently meet the honest types, they look for reasons not to trust them. Or perhaps, honesty is just too boring after all that drama.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM

76 posts, read 162,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I'm 34 and single and pretty much have a great life for the most part, there are days that I totally enjoy my freedom and there are days that I definitely feel very alone...but I think it would be nicer to share my life with someone, I don't think past a certain age, perhaps mid 30s, it's wise to be single...the world is just not designed for single people. Most of my friends are married by now and really can't hang out with me anymore so it becomes difficult.

Why am I still single? Well, just concentrated on my career so far...which has paid off very well, but the side effect is that I have limited relationship experience and have become so comfortable with the single life that I have to try hard to break out of it.

I find myself in the same situation, 1st marriage endend in failure, my wife left me for an "alternative" lifestyle which she cleverly concealed for many years, & my second ended on a less sour note, but because a violent stepchild was a disruption to the family harmony we were trying to build.
Once you're divorced, your other married friends sort of aren't as close, & socializing with them seems awkward. This is where you really find out who your REAL friends are.

I became accustomed to my freedom & independence for the last 6 years, & to this day, I am grateful for my career accomplisments, & growing as an individual. I've invested in myself, gained some emotional intelligence & grew some close friendships along the way, yet dating & some in short lived in-between relationships may have caused me to feel indifferent towards seeking out THE relationship I wanted. It's right for me when there is passion, romance, friendship, shared interests, a feeling of connection & belonging. It;s hard to find that when being a bit guarded, I for one don't repeat the same mistakes. Yeah, I see the flages, I don't want co-dependent emotioally needy, helpless vitim complex, or those with substance abuse issues. I believe we all have some baggage, & those who lose it somewhere between LAX & LaGuardia are the lucky ones. I think I'll leave mine unclaimed.

Yeah, it's comfortable for now, but it does get painfully lonely at times, especially at 52. I just know I don't want to experiance the same pain & hurt I felt in the past. Yeah, I still hold out hope, for now it's all I have.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
I'll be honest: I'm single & looking & I do enjoy being single at times... but now I think I'm mature enough & ready to be in a relationship. So single & looking but NOT desperate, hope that made sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships