Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM

33 posts, read 68,397 times

Advertisements

i too love being single but it some times gets lonely thats why i have friends with benefits! it works out great,you hang out from time to time,go out,do the nasty and go on about your buisness,without all the responsibility. i was divorced 4yrs ago and in my line of work where i'm gone 6mths out of the year its the
best way to go.nowadays unlike 40 years ago or so they just dont last, or i havent been that fortunate,wishfull thinking for the future but i wont get my hopes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
I think this is the main impediment to successful marriage today. The things I saw when I was in my late teens through mid twenties leads me to believe that few women don't end up this way unless they are lucky or determined enough to get it right from the start. Unfortunately, in far too many cases, while young, they fall for the guys who are most likely to use and abuse. If women could hear what the average guy hears, they'd understand.

At one time, people were more likely to date people whose background they either knew or was known by someone close to them. Such using behavior would not work for men in this environment. For nearly everyone today, life is more impersonal and its the operators who thrive in this environment.

Then when women subsequently meet the honest types, they look for reasons not to trust them. Or perhaps, honesty is just too boring after all that drama.

This is a good post! I have seen and herd about this ALL my life! To add to this (and not much because you said it all) people now days have no understanding of there own history. There were indeed times were everybody grew up and remained within there own area or town and due to that fact if you were interested in a particular person romantically you could talk to many people who knew that person all there life therefore you could avoid a possible negative situation and also capitalize on the support from the community that wanted to usher in the new generation of young couples.

Fast forward today, people are coming and going and people will move there entire family's 3000 miles away just for an extra 15-20 grand pay raise; now that MAY be a lot of money but what about all the solid friendships that your wife has with the neighbors or what about the relationships that your children have with the kids down the street?

As far as the women, yep your spot on, MANY women just seem to date total LOSERS!!! I mean, my god I just don't see what these women see in some of these out of shape, low class, wannabe gang/thug, illiterate losers!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!

Sad to say, these same girls a few years later have one or two kids by those kind of guys and it seems to always be the case where the "macho tough guy/bad boy" is nowhere to be found

Last edited by Morphous01; 03-15-2009 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,103,297 times
Love the freedom hate the lonelienss at times when u see your friends and their wives or girflriends and wish u had that person in your life who was there for you and cared that much about you

It puzzles me though why women in relationships like my friends griflriends/wives think a single guy like me cant possibly be happy and always wonder why im single as if your life can only be validated if your in a relationship or soemthing must be wrogn with you if yor single..

Why is that??

Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Love the freedom hate the lonelienss at times when u see your friends and their wives or girflriends and wish u had that person in your life who was there for you and cared that much about you

It puzzles me though why women in relationships like my friends griflriends/wives think a single guy like me cant possibly be happy and always wonder why im single as if your life can only be validated if your in a relationship or soemthing must be wrogn with you if yor single..

Why is that??

You know what, I would not waste time in trying to figure out WHY people like to superimpose there views on other people because even if you knew why you can't do anything about it...

Old 03-15-2009, 11:20 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Is anyone single? and enjoying it or do they rather not be single.
I'm single and not enjoying it, and I'd rather not be single. I guess there are some good things about being single, but coming home everyday and staring at either a TV screen, or a computer screen, gets pretty old after a while.

I hope this changes in the near future.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 PM

27,349 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm single and not enjoying it, and I'd rather not be single. I guess there are some good things about being single, but coming home everyday and staring at either a TV screen, or a computer screen, gets pretty old after a while.

Ya never know. But I used to know someone who never dated (but complained he couldnt get a date), never really tried to get out, to meet people. We all tried to tell him he cant exactly expect 'Ms Right' to just come knocking on his door, just out of the blue. Before singles websites, how else do ya think people had to meet in the old days??
Pssst! You gotta get out of your dog house once in awhile...get the hint?!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Only you can make it change. I can understand where you are coming from and actually dealt with it recently as a lot of work I had disappeared due to the economy and it was a cold winter. So a lot of days cooped up inside with time on my hands. I belong to a local gym and indoor pool though and found just getting out and working out or swimming I'd feel 10 times better. Or I'd go to my friends restaurant and hang out and eat lunch. Or I'd go for a drive or sit outside bundled up watching the snow fall. Whatever it was, getting out of the house just made the biggest difference in my attitude and view on life.

It's easy to fall into that trap when you have time on your hands to stay around the house and it was a shock for me since for years often I'd work 80 hours a week sometimes and was always busy. So I think you've just got to get yourself out of the house somehow and that's really the only way to meet people anyways.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,145,464 times
I love and require a lot of alone time. I am not the kind who wants to be calling, texting, and spending time together 24/7. I also work a lot lately.
It's not that I feel more "free" being single, because I do think I could find someone who is not clingy or high-maintenance, and that would suit my personality and life.

Of course there are moments I'd like to share with someone and times when I get lonely. I am not the kind to use my singleness to party or hook up with lots of guys, so when it comes to affection and attention, I want a monogamous relationship.

I'm in my mid 20s and finally feel ready to be in a long term relationship, but it also has to be worth it. I won't enter a relationship with anyone just to be with someone. Whoever it is has to inspire me to make time/energy for him

Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Ya never know. But I used to know someone who never dated (but complained he couldnt get a date), never really tried to get out, to meet people. We all tried to tell him he cant exactly expect 'Ms Right' to just come knocking on his door, just out of the blue. Before singles websites, how else do ya think people had to meet in the old days??
Pssst! You gotta get out of your dog house once in awhile...get the hint?!
I guess it would be nice if a beautiful french lady knocked on my door and threw herself at me but not likely. Especially in this neighborhood. A plump amish farmers daughter is more likely

I think one suggestion for single people is to travel. Probably the most interesting and fun women I have met is while traveling. And for those that are uncomfortable with traveling on their own, there are plenty of tour companies catering to the different age groups. Even if some of those relationships don't last beyond the trip, the memories do.

And by travel I don't mean going to vegas or orlando or cancun.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:50 PM

318 posts, read 820,854 times
I enjoy being single so very much. I like talking to/meeting whoever whenever and just doing my thing and going about my daily grind w/o having to worry about anyone. I enjoy not having to call someone every day and appreciate the (extensive) amount of "me time." I don't like having to check in with anyone before I do anything and having to get approval. So the answer to you question would be YES, I enjoy being single. I don't care about being the 3rd wheel or having people make out in front of me and acting lovey dovey. It doesn't make me wonder, or jealous one bit or question my single life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships