Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really? I talk about what I studied all the time. Probably because I loved it, found it fascinating, and still do. Men I've dated generally do like to hear about what interests me, as I like to hear about what interests them. Honestly, if a guy ISN'T interested in hearing about my intellectual pursuits, they're not for me. Just me. My longtime SO and I first connected bonding about literature and our experiences as English majors.

I'm an educator; I would NOT date a man who doesn't care about education (I actually tried, in my early twenties. No thanks, not for me).
This is irrelevant to my post. I said they don't ask about it. Whether you choose to bring up your education as a topic of conversation is your decision.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Really? I talk about what I studied all the time. Probably because I loved it, found it fascinating, and still do. Men I've dated generally do like to hear about what interests me, as I like to hear about what interests them. Honestly, if a guy ISN'T interested in hearing about my intellectual pursuits, they're not for me. Just me. My longtime SO and I first connected bonding about literature and our experiences as English majors.

I'm an educator; I would NOT date a man who doesn't care about education (I actually tried, in my early twenties. No thanks, not for me).
Thank you. Common educational interests can be the basis for finding a common ground in a relationship. In college, a lot of marriages seem to come from the same major (mostly the sciences and business, when both were seeking careers) OR something high-powered balancing out ambivalence* toward a major and a career when one parent is projected to be a SAH parent.
*Ambivalence = I'm ok with my 2.6 type of thing.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I also spent most of my time in college dating male music majors (OMG, SO GAY!!! Or not.). My SO is actually a jazz pianist, in addition to having majored in English as an undergraduate, gone to graduate school for accounting, become a CPA, and working in forensic accounting. Let's hear it for pointless stereotypes about majors that have no actual relevance in life.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Who cares?

Only a weak-minded, self-loathing twit would consider what men think when she chooses a major. Smart women pursue what they want because it's what they want, not because of what anyone else thinks.

I'll drink to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Whatever Robert majored in, it wasn't statistics.
No, but I've taken more than my share of it. More As than Bs. No one is giving me academic credit or paying for an official study, so there's no point in anything beyond the anecdotal.

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
Though to be fair, in general there are only a minority people that identify strongly enough with their careers in that way, such as artists, educators or scientists etc., and not a majority of the population. But they are there, and seem like a vocal minority too.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
This is irrelevant to my post. I said they don't ask about it. Whether you choose to bring up your education as a topic of conversation is your decision.
Is your implication not that because they don't ask about it, they don't care? You specifically said, "In fact, most men don't really want to hear about it at all," in reference to education.

My post was in NO way irrelevant to yours. It provided an example of one man who, yeah, DID want to hear about it. But, you know, he's probably the only such man in the world.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:11 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What's the matter with Textile Design that you think women wouldn't like?

Honestly, you are fixated on some of the most time wasting stuff.

Let it go, you'll live longer and be happier

I would not only 'date" a textile designing man I would marry one!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
My post was in NO way irrelevant to yours. It provided an example of one man who, yeah, DID want to hear about it. But, you know, he's probably the only such man in the world.
What is THE first question you ask anybody while in college: "What's your major?"

What is THE first question MOST adults ask each other: "What do you do for a living?"

It's not a judgment. It just is what it is. I enjoy talking to people who majored in a myriad of subjects and can hold a conversation with them; however, if they majored in something "dour" like women's studies or criminal justice, I find that I don't have much to say to them, nor they to me.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Though to be fair, in general there are only a minority people that identify strongly enough with their careers in that way, such as artists, educators or scientists etc., and not a majority of the population. But they are there, and seem like a vocal minority too.
This is a self-selecting thing...personally, I don't really enjoy the company of people, overall, who don't have career/intellectual interests they feel that passionately about. I much prefer people who feel very, very strongly about what they do - I find them more interesting. When I was single, on first dates, and a guy would say, "Yeah, I don't really like to talk about my work, it's not that interesting," my own interest in that guy waned significantly. To me, with the amount of your life that is devoted to your career, it makes no sense to be lukewarm/uninspired about what you do. A lot of people take blah jobs they don't really personally identify with, for various reasons. They're just not really "my" people. They should probably date people who share that trait. I'm passionate about my work, and people who don't really "get" that aren't people with whom I identify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships