Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one from the first two, and one from the second two options (two in total)
it should be the man's role to be protector regardless 10 50.00%
it should be up to whoever is stronger, regardless of gender 9 45.00%
i would date a woman who did had no protective instinct at all 1 5.00%
i wouldn't date a woman who had no protective instinct at all 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
LMAO. At this rate, I'm better off asking one of you women to help me with the would be robber. damn shame. *smh*
I got your back sister from another mister!!!! "Woo-Haa"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Well, I think the old idea of men being so much stronger than women is quickly fading. Maybe in an earlier era but not now. Women are working out more and more, especially in such previously male dominated areas like weight lifting and martial arts.

It's true that men carry more muscle mass but that extra mass is usually in the upper body. Women generally have stronger lower bodies. In a fight, that stronger lower body would enable a woman to have more power as muscles in the butt and legs are bigger than those of the arms and shoulders. She would have better balance in a tussle. Also, a woman's extra fat can translate into more burnable energy as long as she's not morbidly obese. Hence, she may have more endurance and could outlast a man in a fight.
I think you are overstating your case. There are some true badass women out there, but they are serious outliers.

Quote:
Young girls are competing against boys in all kinds of sports now including football and wrestling at the high school level. YouTube is full of videos of girls winning wrestling matches and tournaments on the boys teams. The difference between the 2 sexes is shrinking all the time.
Only in the smaller weight divisions in high school and before do women or girls hold their own in wrestling/grappling. And there are still very, very few adult women of any size who can compete with adult men in any sport. Furthermore, forget about football, rugby, soccer, MMA, boxing, wrestling or any sport that requires strength and explosiveness. There isn't a woman out there who could take a hit from, say, Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis. Few men could. And I am saying this as a huge fan of female athletes, the stronger and more athletic the better - there is really no comparison between a big, strong woman and a big, strong man.

Quote:
You take your average 5'10" and 180 lb. guy and match him with a 5'6" 145 lb. woman and she would likely do very well in a fight. Most females I know are much stronger than they look. They just have to have the mindset to fight instead of shrinking from conflict.
Don't agree at all,. unless the woman is a world-class fighter or explosive athlete.
Quote:

Oh, as for the main question, I would hope that if it came down to trouble, we would both work together, fight together and watch each other's back. No helpless female for me.
Now that I agree with. Though I must say that my wife, who is bigger and stronger than some men, has called me for help (rescue?) when she has felt physically threatened. She sees me as her protector, even though some men are physically intimidated by her.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM

400 posts, read 566,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is an interesting one. I don't know if many people even still think in terms of being the 'protector', but I'm sure in cases where a woman was in danger, say being attacked by a thug, I'm guessing most times the man would assume the protector role. Interesting, whether a woman seems to step in to help out her man seems to depend more on the individual. Some women expect him to be man enough to do it on his own, while other women baby him if he gets a scraped knee. Nonetheless, I've heard some women prefer big, strong men because they feel 'protected' so it's obviously still a thing.

So if the opposite was the case: if a man were to date a woman who was physically stronger than him (which happens from time to time), or a lady who knew martial arts or something, what would you think if she was really protective of him and took on that role? I mean some men wouldn't take her seriously anyway, or 'wouldn't hit a woman', and I'm sure MANY people would make fun of them both for it, but just as a silly question, would it see it as more 'natural' than the man just taking on the protective role because he's a man?

I mean the reason why males tend to be the protectors/defenders is because they are stronger in general, not simply because they have a pair of balls. Some might argue more physically aggressive, but that's besides the point. So if this was NOT the case, there shouldn't be a reason for that too.

I'll make this a double question. How many men would date a woman who, if he was being bashed helplessly and the woman could do something, just stood there and watched on, or shrieked helplessly?

Even a younger brother or a son will step into protector role long before they are big enough. It is instinct, hormones, testosterone whatever you want to call it. I don't really think it's cultural or traditional I think it's human. However I suppose I am a product of my own conditioning so it could be proven otherwise.

Of course if it is a life threatening emergency I would think they would work as a team! If she has training she should use it but I don't think the guy should be hiding behind her.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
I had a guy tell me that I can protect him anyday since I am training in BJJ.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunters4life View Post
IMO gender roles (boxes) are stupid. Everyone is equally capable of playing the "protector" role when faced with an opportunity that presents some type of threat.
Really dude? Everyone?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
The idea of playing gender roles is bullsh*t to me, so I can't even fathom that concept to begin with. Having said that, I don't get why the man has to be the protector. Why can't both parties step up equally? People try to act like the strongest woman who ever lived is still weaker than the weakest man who ever lived.

If a woman is 6 feet tall and is dating a man that's 5 feet tall, I would say she's capable of inflicting more damage to an aggressor. It's asinine to visualize a woman cowering behind a man half her size "just because."

And let's be honest: how often do we need to be "protected" from anything? When's the last time you were walking down the street and a thug tries to rape your girlfriend in broad daylight? How often does that actually happen? Seriously...that's why I laugh when people talk about needing to feel protected in a relationship. Protected from what?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
When browsing some of the pof profiles, I came across a profile that kind of dealt with something like this:

It was a girl who was a powerlifter and muay thai fighter. In fact, she is a titleholder in muay thai, and she's pretty big. She lists her stats at 220 lbs and having 18 inch biceps, but she stresses that she can't date guys who aren't as big as her because of insecurity issues.

Really? A strong, powerful woman who is a muay thai and MMA fighter is insecure around smaller men? I don't get that. What if a guy who is attracted to her is also a fighter and is also into lifting, but isn't as big as her? On the contrary, what if the guy isn't into anything like what she's into but is her "required" size?

I don't get that. I would have no problem dating her; in fact, she kind of is my type body-wise (strong, muscular,) I would just have to see her personality on a coffee date. But man, that insecurity thing is a bit of a turnoff. You would figure that a champion fighter would be a little bit more secure.

I also read a BodySpace (bodybuilding "myspace") profile stating that men who can't lift as much as she can shouldn't even bother approaching her. Wow, that's kind of cruel. I can understand wanting someone who share in the same interests as you, but disqualifying someone because they aren't big enough or strong enough sounds...petty.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Who wants to date a woman that can squat 500 pounds anyway? Gross

Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
That's hot!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
That's hot!
There's a lid for every pot.

Apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships