Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,768 times

Advertisements

I met my husband on my messageboard. He was a member who I didn't know that well but when I made him a moderator and we started chatting in the staff chatroom we really connected. That led to IM chats and finally to the phone. After four months of daily marathon phone calls where we'd talk for hours getting to know each other (not cheap since he's British and I'm American!) I flew to England to meet him. We were already in love and were ready to see if the chemistry was the same in person. When we came face to face, after a few seconds of slight awkwardness, everything just clicked into place and it felt like we'd known each other forever. We got married five months later and just celebrated our four year wedding anniversary last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 08:30 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
I met my dh in high school... I was a senior and he was a junior, but he led me to believe he was a senior.... how dare he! We met at Vocational school. He was from a different high school and we saw eachother every day...... one day in the hall he said you have something right there... (right above my top lip) like a goon I was trying to see what it was, and he said I'll get it, and he leaned in and kissed me.... aaawwww...it was Robyn-n-Jim sitting in a tree... k-i-s-s-i-n-g ever since. That was a long time ago, I was hooked from that day. Now we have 2 kids 13 and 11.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:06 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Awesome cinderobyn

Old 05-14-2007, 03:19 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I met my husband on my messageboard. He was a member who I didn't know that well but when I made him a moderator and we started chatting in the staff chatroom we really connected. That led to IM chats and finally to the phone. After four months of daily marathon phone calls where we'd talk for hours getting to know each other (not cheap since he's British and I'm American!) I flew to England to meet him. We were already in love and were ready to see if the chemistry was the same in person. When we came face to face, after a few seconds of slight awkwardness, everything just clicked into place and it felt like we'd known each other forever. We got married five months later and just celebrated our four year wedding anniversary last week.
Tao -

Good for you! My best friend is British. She's been living in Spain for the past 3-yrs after a horridly abusive relationship ended. In Dec, she met another Brit while out in a pub with friends in Spain. He was on vacation. She hadn't even wanted to go that evening, but they dragged her. They hit it off so well, they spoke via phone, text message & email dozens of times each day since. Long story, short, she just returned this weekend to the UK (with her mum, no less) to begin a new life with him & her mum is living with them in his home until she finds a house to purchase. All the parents spent time together during multiple trips to Spain & adore each other & the "kids".

He's younger than her by 8-yrs, wants to adopt children (my friend can't have them due to the abuse from her ex) & has told her many times how he'll "take care of her". Music to her ears & something she's never heard before. She deserves nothing less!

It sounds quick, but if you knew my friend, former children's advocate lawyer turned yoga teacher, no-nonsense but fun-loving lass, she deserves the best. I haven't met him, but you know what, she had me email him to make sure I got a good feeling about him. I told her "Look, this is your decision. I'm not going to interject any feelings of my own. Go with your heart." She knows me well enough that if I didn't say "be careful", then I trust her decision. I've never heard her or her mum happier.

A month ago, I sent in the paperwork for my new passport as I lost mine a few years ago & never replaced it. I expect to be attending a summer '08 wedding in the UK! What fun. Now, which is the magic bean you eat to manifest such wonders as you & my dear friend?!

Beautiful stories from both of you. Thanks for sharing... VV

Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,811 times
I met my husband on match.com. Four months later, we were engaged. A year after that, we were married. We both just 'knew' - it was a no-brainer!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Awesome cinderobyn
Thanks Rance! I think so too!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
I had been divorced from Husband #2 for 5 years and was quite content, raising 2 sons with one in private school and one in his freshman year of college. My sister, the Ellen Tracy Queen, told me she thought I needed to meet her pharmacist, who was 44 (I was 39) and who had never been married or had kids. She also told pharmacist the same story, complete with "and my sister is just like me!" - and I believe that putting on overalls should be considered dressing up....but he was a pharmacist for a grocery chain and I went there to size him up - made 3 trips and bought a bunch of stuff I didn't need so I could watch him interact with people, and hopefully to introduce myself - that part never worked out. My sister knew where he lived, which wasn't far from her - we went so far as to peek through the mail slot to make sure he wasn't a total slob, I just couldn't handle that - so after the third trip to the grocery store, which was around Easter 1997, I bought some Reese's chocolate Easter eggs and wrote a note on the outside of the brown bag: "I've been here 3 times to meet you and never got the chance because you're too busy. Enclosed are receipts for things I bought that I didn't even need - either call and take me out to dinner or send me a check for $10.17"...and my phone number. He called that night, we went to dinner on March 31 - in July we bought a house and on August 23, 1997, we got married in our front yard and then threw the biggest bash ever at my aunt's restaurant, which actually started without us because the battery on the Suburban died and we had to change cars....we left at 10:30 and the party carried on without us until after 2 a.m.

Almost 10 years married now - and I adore the pharmacy geek even more every day!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-14-2007 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 09:36 PM

70 posts, read 254,042 times
I met my husband at work, I was a temp-to-perm hire at an advertising firm working in accounts receivable, three months in our tech-support/IT guy quit, my husband was the new hire. He came to my desk to set up my email and I was smitten. So every day he would come to my desk and talk to me. One of our coworkers had a barbecue/party at her house and invited people from work, we both showed up, I told him I was attracted to him, have been since the first day I saw him, he said he felt the same way, around 3 am we left the party together That was 7 years ago. We been married for 5 and have a daughter. I also have an older daughter and he has a son, (modern Brady Bunch). And to spice this story up, I was with my ex when I met hubby, Ex was a real A-HOLE So after my party date with (hubby) which lasted till 10 the next morning, Ex was out the door Like I said that was 7 years ago, and we are very happy

Old 05-16-2007, 03:47 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
I met my wife 48 years ago in our sex education class in high school.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:36 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I met my wife 48 years ago in our sex education class in high school.
48 years????? As in FORTY EIGHT YEARS????????

HOLYYYYYYYYY. Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships