Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times

Advertisements

I was dating my wife's cousin at the time. I really didn't like the cousin I was dating and it ended shortly after that. About a week later I get an email from my wife to be. That was 10 years ago. We were married 8 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,667,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
I met my DH on line. He is English and lives in the UK, I lived in CA. After about 4 months of online and on phone constant talking he came to CA and we spent 9 days together. A month later I quit my job and took second on my condo and went to the UK for 4 months. We went on holiday to Spain and got engaged. I went back home and we had a 5 month long distance relationship with one visit while I sold my condo and got my visa sorted. Then I moved to the UK. I have been here for 5 yrs. We now are married and have a son.
You lived in CA, but were you from CA? You sound like you may not be a Californian. Talk about a long distance relationship. That seems to be happening more often. My sons friend met a girl online, they have been talking for 6 months, he met her in June and he just moved to live with her. She lives in New Hampshire he is from MN.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 AM

306 posts, read 1,162,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
You lived in CA, but were you from CA? You sound like you may not be a Californian. Talk about a long distance relationship. That seems to be happening more often. My sons friend met a girl online, they have been talking for 6 months, he met her in June and he just moved to live with her. She lives in New Hampshire he is from MN.
California born and bred me. I lived in Rocklin, near Sacramento. Grew up in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas (and how cool is it to see the Sierra Nevadas in Spain too) I was also born in Southern CA.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I love all of the posts! I've been reading them all and the stories are great!
I met my husband when I was 17, he was 17 also, fresh out of high school. I lived with my grandmother at the time. She had gone to visit her sisters 6 hours away. You know what that means, house to ourselves.....PARTY! Anyhow, my DH lived 2 hours away and was visiting his uncle who lived by me. My sister and my b/f were at the gas station and they pulled up. My DH and freinds were pretending to get air in the tire and approached them. My DH and his friends said "where's the party at?" My sister said at my house. They followed her back to the house and that's how we met. His friends and brothers decided to have a food fight in the house while my DH and I sat on the back porch talking for hours. We didn't even know something was going on in the house. The next day there were coffee grinds spilled all over inside the fridge, potato salad in the coffee mugs in the cabinet, lunch meat stuck to the ceiling fan, and my BIL decided to dance in the styrofoam cooler and the ice went all over! We had to hurry to clean it up before my grandmother got home. The neighbor told on us and we got caught! Here we are 19 years later with 2 children, 17 and 14.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:49 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,667,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
California born and bred me. I lived in Rocklin, near Sacramento. Grew up in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas (and how cool is it to see the Sierra Nevadas in Spain too) I was also born in Southern CA.
Was it hard adjusting to life in a new country? The reason I thought you didn't sound like you were from CA is because you said you went on "holiday" and that seems to be phrase used overseas.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM

306 posts, read 1,162,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Was it hard adjusting to life in a new country? The reason I thought you didn't sound like you were from CA is because you said you went on "holiday" and that seems to be phrase used overseas.
I tend to "speak" British with an American accent. If I use American words I am just stared at with a blank look. I even have to use a different inflection to be understood. I sometimes even forget the American words for things. Was it hard? Hell yeah! Living abroad has its ups and downs and one of the downs is feeling very isolated. But its has definately given me a different view of the world.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 163,020 times
Default Met mine online

Met my husband on Moderator cut: snip . We have been married for two years now and have one cute little baby together.

Last edited by wigirl920; 05-16-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM

213 posts, read 416,824 times
Met DH 10 years ago on the Internet when he responded to a personals ad I posted. Been married for 6 years - mostly happily but I'm ready to give up the life sentence soon.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
At the grocery store I worked at. It was late, we were getting ready to close up, and she was in there shopping. Had a shopping cart completely loaded with groceries. Offered--as was company policy--to take those groceries out to the car and load them up. That's when she told me she didn't have a car. I told her to give me like 15 minutes, and I'd take her home. She asked me if I wanted to come inside--and I declined. But I started seeing her more often in the store. I'd go to her house sometimes, if it wasn't too late when I got out of work, and we'd sit and talk until 2 in the morning. We'd talk just about every day anyhow. One night I was telling her about how the cops had been hassling me for walking home at 2, 3 in the morning, and she offered to let me sleep on her couch. I declined--had a bed at home anyway. About a week later, I was helping her study for her GED, and she told me I didn't have to leave. I told her I needed to go home and sleeip in my own bed, instead of passing out on the couch. Then she said that I didn't have to sleep on the couch either. That was about three weeks after I took her home the first time.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,305,167 times
High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships