Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,946,160 times

Advertisements

Met my husband through a personal ad that I had placed. Received 65 responses, selected his as the first possibility/person of interest. First date, 2/10/87. After 1 date, gave or threw the rest away. Engaged on St. Patricks Day, married in November. Just celebrated 20 years. I was 33, he was 31, neither one of us had been married before, so it was an easy decision at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM

206 posts, read 529,153 times
Smile Blessed

I had some really ruff relationships in my time, just when i decided to throw in the towel. I had just gotten comfortable with the idea of all work no play. My neighbor was a much older woman than myself and went out all the time. My neighbor noticed that i would always say i didn't have time for nothing but work and my three kids. On Oct.24, 2002 she was going out to celebrate her birthday, she noticed me standing in the doorway and said " Let's go have a couple of drinks" of course i said i had to work the next day. She persuaded me to go and reassured me that we wouldn't be gone very long. Once we got to the bar and began to drink i started to loosen up and that's when my husband walked in. I leaned over to her and said he's cute, she went over and told him and he told her to tell me to come and dance. We exchanged numbers and he called me the next day at work. We continued to talk on the phone,visit,and go to dinner. We moved in together in Dec. 2002, i became pregnant Feb.2003, we married in Feb 2004, had another daughter in Oct. 2004,also have a one year old now. He's still my lover, my babies father, my life time partner and my friend. He still the man of my dreams, he's still the man for me and i'm still in love with him deeply.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
The first time I met my now husband...

Well, I'm going to head back to 9th grade... (whoosh)

It was a cold Winter Day, slight flurries. A group of friends and myself were shivering and huddled up outside - like a bunch of ninnies. I exclaimed quite loudly about how cold I was.

Next thing I knew, a gentleman put his trench coat over me and said I could wear it for the day. He just walked off after that.. with nothing to keep him warm, but a t-shirt.

The next day, I went looking for this random guy... asking all of my friends. Nowhere to be found. I was still swooning in the warmth of this jacket. Well, after 2 days, I finally found the man. Jeffrey was his name.

Well, I gave him back his trench coat and thanked him. Sadly, he had a girlfriend. Two months later, they broke up! I tried to slide my way in... but to no avail. A mutual friend was having problems being picked on, so he "played the part" of her boyfriend. This caused drama amongst another mutual friend who'd had a huge crush on said girl.

I helped settle the drama and became really close friends with Jeffrey. Over the summer, the friendship grew.. and on the day of my friend's birthday party (10th grade now), he asked me to the school dance.

We've been off and on a few times.. and now we're permanent. We've fixed all of our problems and have become a very strong couple.

Right now, his work is causing him stress (newbs are being hired for the same position as him for more money!) and he's been slacking around the house... but. Eh. I still love him.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Sounds like if one doesn't meet someone in college, then it's very hard to find someone later on in life.
I hear these women say they meet men in grocery stores, libraries, coffee shops, that men just walk up to them.
I wonder how much of that is really true, because I don't see it going on. I have been told I am attractive and men don't walk up to me. No......I am not a cold person, I am very extroverted, and have been told I am friendly and personable.
So I wonder where they meet them. And please don't tell me church groups.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
[quote=LoveBoating;101697]So.......where or how did you meet that "love of your life"?

We actually were set up by mutual friends of ours (but didn't know each other).
First time meeting at a Jazz Club (the Woodlands in Wilkes- Barre/ PA), and were married several months later. (2004)
Found my true soul mate, indeed.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
My husband and I met at the MALL. Sounds kinda silly but we were 19 and 20 and both worked in retail at that time. I worked in a french bakery in the food court and he worked in a clothing store. He kept coming to the restaurant next door and kept trying to talk to me. I wouldn't give him the time of day at that time. Ha. Then I kept running in to him at various other places and we became friends which turned into love. Been married almost 14 years now.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 AM

18 posts, read 51,225 times
Default We met at work

For a year, we sat in cubicles across the aisle from each other, yet in different departments and never spoke.
I received a promotion, which moved me down the hall but then caused me to interact with his department. At one point, I had a problem with something and had to interact with him.
When I had to approach him and introduce myself, I had no idea the problem I was bringing to him already created problems between the departments. When I went to him, he gave me a hard time and was so serious. I explained that I understood and would do what I could to make changes in the future but asked for his help now. Begrudgingly he agreed.
As I was about to leave his desk, it occurred to me that I would have to be dealing with him and this was a bad way to start so, figuring he already disliked me, I would take a flier and see what he was really like. What harm could it do? I already annoyed him. So, I turn back around and asked "By the way, when is the surgery?" This caught his attention and he said , "What surgery?" I said, "the surgery to remove that bug that's up your butt." … then he finally cracked a smile ...I guess you could say the rest is history. Here we are 7 years later, married for the last 4.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
My husband and I became friends when we were 16 years old....had a lot of fun together but I kind of thought that he was an immature jerk for a boyfriend. He was always there when I was dating other people namely his best friend .....I might add that I was a friend of my now hubbie's sister. We all just goofed off a lot.
Anyway the last time I had seen him was on a New Year's eve and he was partying hearty and he ticked me off. What I didn't know at the time was all that teasing was flirting. We moved an hour away a few months later. I guess he came looking for me but I was gone.......One day I ran into a friend of his sister's and I sent her a letter(his sister).
Next thing I know, he was at my door.....he found me.
We started dating and 2 1/2 years later we were married. In March it will be 31 years and yes, now I do like him lol.
We have 2 kids and 2 grandkids.
Living the plan of growing old together and still having a great time together....it pays off marrying your BEST friend as we became.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,020,227 times
Default online

Just to be stupid wasting some time, my friend and I made up personal ads for each other and posted them on Yahoo personals. Mine was incredibly sarcastic, and I got some pretty nasty responses from some that didn't get the joke.

But, my husband got the sarcasm, and was ballsy enough to send his own smart a$$ reply. The rest, as they say...

Old 01-16-2008, 03:16 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,633 times
I met both of my husbands at work. #1 husband (chronologically, that is) and I shared an office and after about a year we started dating. Got married a year after that. Divorced 10 years later.
Met #2 at work also. Worked together for about 2 years before we started dating. Got married 10 years later. Can you tell I'm not terribly impulsive???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships