Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 04:39 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I don't agree with this.

If you can't ask out random women, who are you gonna ask out? Someone you know? Someone you're friends with already? Do you have to know someone in order to ask them out? You're just asking them out, not for their hand in marriage. There's all these threads about why women don't approach and all, but if a man approaches it's creepy? I don't exactly advise to walk up and say "Hi! My name is whatever and I wanna go out with you". But I don't see anything wrong with asking random girls out. How else do you get a date? I've done it before and have gotten dates. I also sent a random message to a girl online on a non-dating site and wound up having a relationship that lasted over 5 years because of it. If they like you, they won't think it's creepy.

I've been over this ad nauseum. I think it's okay to go out with people you were friends with first and sometimes it works. But for it to have to be a requirement is beyond ridiculous. If I like someone, I ain't interested in being friends only. I'm also not interested in being her friend for 6 months or whatever time before FINALLY asking her out.
Huh? What was your secret? I tried doing that once on a non-dating site, and never got my message returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM

1,261 posts, read 972,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I think Steve just needs new teeth and he would look fine (not FINE, but fine). Some people do find him attractive just the way he is though.
Yeah, they are called blind people...

Old 12-07-2016, 04:45 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Huh? What was your secret? I tried doing that once on a non-dating site, and never got my message returned.
Haha this was back in 2003! I actually did this to a few girls and met about 4 of them. I think I sent like 10 messages, maybe 8 and got no replies from 4 or 6. Three of the girls I met, I wound up not liking much when we met in person and nothing became of those.

My main pickup line was "I think I know you from somewhere but not sure where?" Or something like that. This was on the social networking site "Friendster". Which was pre-MySpace and Facebook. I may have just gotten lucky. The line I used was lame and I would not use it these days. I guess I was afraid to be more open than that, I'm not afraid of that these days though.

What non-dating site are you using to send these messages?

Old 12-07-2016, 04:51 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,774 times
Quote:
Haha this was back in 2003! I actually did this to a few girls and met about 4 of them. I think I sent like 10 messages, maybe 8 and got no replies from 4 or 6. Three of the girls I met, I wound up not liking much when we met in person and nothing became of those.

My main pickup line was "I think I know you from somewhere but not sure where?" Or something like that. This was on the social networking site "Friendster". Which was pre-MySpace and Facebook. I may have just gotten lucky. The line I used was lame and I would not use it these days. I guess I was afraid to be more open than that, I'm not afraid of that these days though.

What non-dating site are you using to send these messages?
It was on Facebook, and I only did it once.

You did it back in 2003, so not sure it'd work now approaching 2017 - lol.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
It was on Facebook, and I only did it once.

You did it back in 2003, so not sure it'd work now approaching 2017 - lol.
Back on Friendster, you were able to browse people and if they were single. MySpace allowed you to browse by single also. Facebook does not. I wanted to try it again about 4 or 5 years ago but Facebook is a PITA and has no browsing feature on it.

The girls I was messaging were also 18-22 or so. Not sure if that led to more responses than maybe women in the 22+ range.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:33 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,804,424 times
I hate Facebook the old early 2000's Myspace was completely superior to it. You cannot personalize your Facebook page to express your personality at all. That's just one reason MySpace was better for use as an OLD dating tool than Facebook. Facebook was just a money making machine for Zuckerberg.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:50 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Then apparently you need to make OTHER concessions, perhaps in addition to that! Or maybe your sample is too small...or maybe you sabotage yourself...or maybe your delivery is terrible...all those those things lower your odds so you either recognize that and adjust or get ready for a long wait. Didn't your parents tell you that life isn't fair?

I hope ur not a Motivational speaker

Old 12-07-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I hate Facebook the old early 2000's Myspace was completely superior to it. You cannot personalize your Facebook page to express your personality at all. That's just one reason MySpace was better for use as an OLD dating tool than Facebook. Facebook was just a money making machine for Zuckerberg.
I really preferred a lot of the features on Myspace to Facebook.

It was also MUCH easier to search for people on there and filter out. Like on Facebook, if someone has a common name and you're searching for them, they're very hard to find. With Myspace, it was much easier because if you knew their age and anywhere near where they lived, you could browse between the ages of whatever and search within 100 miles from wherever. You can't do any of that with Facebook.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:19 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,804,424 times
Quote:
I really preferred a lot of the features on Myspace to Facebook.

It was also MUCH easier to search for people on there and filter out. Like on Facebook, if someone has a common name and you're searching for them, they're very hard to find. With Myspace, it was much easier because if you knew their age and anywhere near where they lived, you could browse between the ages of whatever and search within 100 miles from wherever. You can't do any of that with Facebook.
Music was better on MySpace too since everyone had a music player on their page. If you had a a lot of friends with similar music interests you could go to their page and see what they had on their personal jukebox. It was also a good conversation starter for people you weren't already friends with.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,734,114 times
Change your attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships