Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 03:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Look at all the things you accomplished. Where would you be if your parents felt it was too illogical to have children? Who would be there to help the people you helped? You can't always use logic or life can never surprise us with small miracles.
Quote:
This I agree with. Logic can only get you so far. Many people are missing out on fulfilling life experiences because they are "too smart" to take the risk.
This is what I'm talking about: people telling us that we're too dumb to know what we want for our lives.
If parents decided to not have kids, who cares or would know.

You don't know squat about any one else's life, don't act as if all kids are miracles or wanted.
Here, again, are child abuse and neglect statistics from the US.
I'm sure all of these people should have been breeding more.

National Children's Alliance Digital Media Kit
National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp
Child Abuse and Neglect Statistics

Quote:
Your just a sack of sunshine aren't you? Umm I see why some people shouldn't have kids.
You just keep proving my point.
If we don't agree with you we're just sacks of sunshine.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,699,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
don't act as if all kids are miracles
Man, that phrase right there drives me up a wall. Procreation is not a miracle. It's a human function. Is it a miracle if I can safely drives across a bridge? No because it's the bridge's function.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:49 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,054,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Yet so many fall through the cracks. You are just naming a lucky few out of so many people. More people from those backgrounds fail at life than succeed. Honestly, I can imagine a world without them. It wouldn't be a bad place at all at least not because of their non-existence.
That's only a small portion of a longer list of people. Are you sure you're in the right profession?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,699,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
That's only a small portion of a longer list of people. Are you sure you're in the right profession?
A long list people who are easily overshadowed by NUMEROUS people who either die, involve themselves in criminal activity, become gang bangers, get locked up or remain in poverty for one reason or another. Don't act like every poor kid gets out and becomes a happy go lucky member of society. Most struggle and work endlessly hard to survive and continue the vicious cycle by reproducing. That's too idealistic and far-fetched. Why do you think people are so inspired by people who can make it out? If it was as common as you are making it out to be then Michael Oher would never have a movie based on him. I dare say for every success story there is 10 who will have never reached their potential.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,204,454 times
Only having sex with ONE woman for the rest of your life(and even in marriage that isn't guaranteed with all the sexless marriages out there) Has gotta be tough. That's a potential dealbreaker

Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Only having sex with ONE woman for the rest of your life(and even in marriage that isn't guaranteed with all the sexless marriages out there) Has gotta be tough. That's a potential dealbreaker
Potential dealbreaker?
It's a sure fire dealbreaker for me, and I'm old.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,723 times

At one time, marriage lead to kids. It was almost a default situation. Looking back through the family tree I've constructed over the last 10 years, I don't think that my ancestors thought "well, I'd like to end up having 22 kids" (my ggggg-grandfather, from two wives ). Marriage meant sex, which lead to kids.

*shrug* It was just something that had to be dealt with.

Modern day birth control put a choice to the issue. Not everyone wants to be a parent. The block that some people have that keeps them from being able to wrap their head around that boggles me.

Some people have absolutely no interest in being a parent.

It's not from disliking kids. It's not from being selfish. It's not from wanting more money or more freedom. It's not from having a bad childhood. It's not from an environment view.

Becoming a parent is a choice to follow a certain life path. Your way of life; your whole future - even to death - is affected by choosing to have a child. Some of us simply do not want to go down that path.

ETA: yanno, there have been a number of posts suggesting a childfree forum. I've always been against it because there are CF groups out there of several flavors, moderated by CF people. The rules established by those groups are different than here, allowing childfrees to engage in the kind of talk that wouldn't be allowed here. However, perhaps a CF forum would be useful on CD for the purpose of dropping all these repetitive threads into it. That would give people wanting to talk about the subject a "been there/done that" notification.

I've been on this board for 6 years. Other than a few subjects that pop up in the political/religious/debate forums, "why dontcha wanna have kids?" is one of the most repetitive threads I've seen.

Last edited by silverwing; 07-24-2012 at 06:23 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
To the OP. You are assuming that all people are honest. We know by experience that people are not honest, put up a "show" to convince you that they are one thing when in reality they are something quite different. Many men have seen their loving wives turn into abusive, hateful, selfish, greedy monsters. Children are not the key to the joy of life. Children take a lot of work and money and sacrifice to raise, and many times they later reject their parents, return hate for love, or just use them as a piggy bank. I don't blame men for not wanting to get married and not having children. Its a logical plan of action.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,305,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP. You are assuming that all people are honest. We know by experience that people are not honest, put up a "show" to convince you that they are one thing when in reality they are something quite different. Many men have seen their loving wives turn into abusive, hateful, selfish, greedy monsters. Children are not the key to the joy of life. Children take a lot of work and money and sacrifice to raise, and many times they later reject their parents, return hate for love, or just use them as a piggy bank. I don't blame men for not wanting to get married and not having children. Its a logical plan of action.
You dont blame men? Does that mean you do blame women for not wanting to marry or have children?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 AM

144 posts, read 201,237 times
i am too immature. i cant even take care of myself what more another human being for at least 18 yrs close watch? I do want 1 someday but biologically speaking at 40? slim chance. i can live without kids.

In my case it's not that I dont want to have kids period, it's the responsibility that goes with it.. because it is for life ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships