Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times

Advertisements

Yeah it happens. Chris Rock put it best for guys, when you get a woman, she cleans you up, cuts your hair, gets the crust out of your eye, have you smelling good, now women are calling you for sex parties every tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I think it's both.
The stench of desperation no longer wafting off of you...

Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,439 times
On the surface, I'm going with your BF's side. Women and men want someone who is confident and appears to be "together", not gold digging or looking for support.

Underlying reasons why attached people suddenly seem attractive to the opposite sex include stability, being "trained" or "whipped" and not having to do all the work of getting that person to "obey", and a hefty dose of types who dig extra marital affairs, where there is no real commitment, only hit it and quit it and buying them stuff to keep it quiet, no strings attached type of affair.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Confidence, yes, but I also think in the case where people know that he/she might be attached, there is a sense of competition, as in "Oh, well she got him so I probably can, too."

Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
I think it's a combination of both but I also think that sometimes people who weren't initially interested in us suddenly wonder "what if" and realize they lost their chance so now they wanna weasle their way back.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I think that when you are happily involved with someone, it shows in your being. You smile more, you have more confidence in life, and that attracts people.

It's the same way with me.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
People can definitely sense this.

Even if these other people are not even around you, you've created some kind of mental love-buzz in the Earth's atmosphere that they're tapping into.

Seriously, I've had guys I hadn't spoken to or seen in years come out of the woodwork the moment I got into a relationship.
I can see this happening. You could be single for years and the minute you get involved with someone is when the phone starts ringing, even from people you haven't seen in forever. It's like they had telepathic powers and you sent brain waves out into the world that you're happy that you're taken and they want to tap into it. (or tap it, if you're a perv).

Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM

19,721 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I can see this happening. You could be single for years and the minute you get involved with someone is when the phone starts ringing, even from people you haven't seen in forever. It's like they had telepathic powers and you sent brain waves out into the world that you're happy that you're taken and they want to tap into it. (or tap it, if you're a perv).
Sooo true!

I also noticed people are especially prone to this sort of behavior in spring/early summer (aka mating season.) lol

Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Maybe you're taken, so you must worth having.

I used to work in a shop, if something wouldn't sell, we put a sold sign on it, then just waited, sure enough, people would then bring the items to the till.

Strange old thing, this human nature!

What's worse though, is being checked out by gay men, when you're with your Wife!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
It's not exactly strange. It only seems strange in the context of modern monogamous relationships. When we were in a tribal system, relationships were open, thus pursuing someone that already had a mate wasn't silly because it's not like you were shut out of the loop. Obviously his or her genes were worth something, so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships