Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed. And I consider myself lucky that I'm able to walk (I should be in a wheelchair, and will likely be in one in the next 20 years, and it's looking like I'll have to have my right hip replaced in the next 10, with a possibility of the left one following shortly after). You have a lot to look forward to, I simply don't. I'll continue working and trying to do as much stuff as I can before I'm confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. I do feel lucky that I'm able to experience this because a good friend of mine has been in a chair since birth.

But it does suck KNOWING that all of that is waiting for me and there isn't a thing I can do to stop it. If I can't get a date now, imagine a 35 year old with two fake hips in a wheelchair. There's not much for me to look forward to, to be honest. I'm hoping to get my Masters in Engineering so at least I'll be able to do something I love.

I was recently told I have to have a pin put in my hip because it's cracking so that's probably why I'm so irritated right now.
I'm truly sorry, especially for your pain.

I guess what I was trying to get across is that it's not just physical trauma that traumatizes us, and leaves scars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm truly sorry, especially for your pain.

I guess what I was trying to get across is that it's not just physical trauma that traumatizes us, and leaves scars.
I've had plenty of trauma, physical and emotional. I'm done with people for a while, they're not worth my time and energy so I'm not worrying about it anymore.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
JetJockey, I'm sorry to hear that.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
There are a few lucky people who meet partners they'll love forever.

The rest of us settle for whoever will stick around for a while and hopefully not cheat.
Honestly this is something I think about a lot. Seems every time I like a guy he doesn't like me and in a fantasy I often have I meet a man I'm not crazy about but end up marry him just so I won't be alone. This marriage is not exciting and the guy truly love me but I don't feel the same. I pray I am wrong and I do marry the right guy who excites me like the guy I like but who knows.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Honestly this is something I think about a lot. Seems every time I like a guy he doesn't like me and in a fantasy I often have I meet a man I'm not crazy about but end up marry him just so I won't be alone. This marriage is not exciting and the guy truly love me but I don't feel the same. I pray I am wrong and I do marry the right guy who excites me like the guy I like but who knows.
I hope your dream doesn't come true.... not fair to either one of you.......

Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I hope your dream doesn't come true.... not fair to either one of you.......
You are right, it's not and it scares me. I get sad at times thinking this because in this fantasy he's a great guy but I don't love him. I know in theory I would probably not marry him but it's still makes me wonder.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I know if I do get married, he's going to have to be an incredible man to deal with all my physical and medical problems and honestly, I just don't see a man my age settling for someone like me unless they're extremely desperate. I'd rather be alone than be with a desperate man who will up and leave as soon as something better comes along. I've looked into dating men with physical issues (wheelchair bound etc.) and they don't seem interested either. I'm actually going to a national meeting in the next few months for people with my disorder because my case manager said it would be my best bet. Apparently, I'm not the only one with my disorder who has had issues dating in the past and he said there have been people who have met there.. Of course, that would mean no biological children, but adoption is always an option I suppose.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I know if I do get married, he's going to have to be an incredible man to deal with all my physical and medical problems and honestly, I just don't see a man my age settling for someone like me unless they're extremely desperate. I'd rather be alone than be with a desperate man who will up and leave as soon as something better comes along. I've looked into dating men with physical issues (wheelchair bound etc.) and they don't seem interested either. I'm actually going to a national meeting in the next few months for people with my disorder because my case manager said it would be my best bet. Apparently, I'm not the only one with my disorder who has had issues dating in the past and he said there have been people who have met there.. Of course, that would mean no biological children, but adoption is always an option I suppose.
I don't know what your issue is but couldn't you look for someone with the same issue, maybe at a group of some sort? I have issues myself that are minor and I fear men rejecting me for, but I've known people with all kinds of illnesses get married.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know what your issue is but couldn't you look for someone with the same issue, maybe at a group of some sort? I have issues myself that are minor and I fear men rejecting me for, but I've known people with all kinds of illnesses get married.
Yeah, which is why I mentioned going to the national meeting. It's a one day patient meeting in Pittsburgh in November but the last one I went to was full of much older people (60+) and families who had small children that were recently diagnosed. Most men who have my disorder (and this is coming from my case manager who also has the disorder) want a perfectly healthy woman so they can have children. If I were to get with a man who had my disorder, biological children wouldn't be possible.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 PM

All I can say is good luck Jet Jockey and hope you find a guy there. I know myself I have looked at the various physical disabilities and have become far more tolerant of them.Not that I was ever mean to someone with a disability, just that dating wasn't usually an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships