Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
i think there needs to some clarification with being fit. there seems to be this idea, that if you are fit, you are consumed with being in the gym and nothing. outside of bodybuilders, most people who are fit probably spend 1 hour to an hour and a half in the gym.
Even professional bodybuilders don't spend that much time in the gym, due to the recovery needed.

Instead they spend time eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Even professional bodybuilders don't spend that much time in the gym, due to the recovery needed.

Instead they spend time eating.

OMG, yes. This is the truth. They eat all...day...long. It's insane. I don't know how they don't get sick of it. I mean, I love a nice meal and I love snacking, but watching them eat is like watching someone fill the tank of an SUV with a teaspoon. It's constant, and it's never enough.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
OMG, yes. This is the truth. They eat all...day...long. It's insane. I don't know how they don't get sick of it. I mean, I love a nice meal and I love snacking, but watching them eat is like watching someone fill the tank of an SUV with a teaspoon. It's constant, and it's never enough.
Still it's not the same as spending an entire day at the gym, that's more closer to what certain athletes do.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

496 posts, read 941,004 times
Here's an anecdotal story: about 3 or 4 years ago, I went through an all or nothing phase and it really started getting on my SO's nerves that I wouldn't order any food when we went out or I'd ask if there was high fructose corn syrup in the smoothies, whatever. I'm sure it seemed like a real pain in the arse and seemed as though I was not participating in social outings. It was also very frustrating and confusing for me. I felt unsupported, etc. Nonetheless, when my abs started really shining through and you could see the separation there and a lot of definition in my shoulders, arms, and back, he was very proud of me and he saw the point of all of the effort. He admits he developed a lot of respect for my self-discipline then and he has never criticized me for it again. We bumped heads a lot over little things like that in the first few years of our association; I'm really glad that we stepped back and loved each other regardless.

The rewards of discipline are significant in any area of your life over which you commit. I can really understand the OP, but I truly enjoy hearing about people's journeys in whatever they are committed to. Some people fixate on their jobs, others on fitness, some on relationships (hmmm), and some on all. I don't see anything inherently wrong with committing to a course of action and following through on it. If you don't want to date someone who is on a certain journey, just don't board the bus.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,532 times
Apparently if you enjoy working out, you have no other hobbies and can barely function in normal society.

Okay.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Apparently if you enjoy working out, you have no other hobbies and can barely function in normal society.

Okay.
Of course that's not true!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Normal people can survive off a 2000 calorie diet, that's 3 meals + a snack or 2 a day.

A person who's training there body, doing rigorous workouts and pushing themselves every day has to have a huge uptake of food, and it has to be mostly good foods. So seeing something have a 5000-6000 calorie diet that's full of proteins and greens is common for a body builder or a professional athlete. Baseball players have to eat like 5000 calories every day since they play 162 games a year which is spelled over 6 months.

Of course...Eventually your metabolism will be able to digest everything in no time and the body can keep moving on even the most unnutritious foods, so like 3 whoppers, 3 large fries and 2 large diet cokes will do the same thing for them as a normal, healthy meal.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM

142 posts, read 186,697 times
i'm an everything in moderation kinda girl. working out is a means to an end for me. i lift heavy weights 4-5 times per week, entirely due to the fact that my job demands that i keep fit and strong. and i like to do outdoor activities like hiking without worry that i'm going to go too far in one direction and have to call someone to pick me up because i can't make it back, lol. i work out so that i can enjoy a full and active life, both work and play. i am not obsessive about my diet, but i do eat very clean, simply because i feel better when i eat healthy, and have developed a preference for healthy food...fatty, greasy or battered anything is unpalatable to me, it's as though my body dictates my appetite these days, not my mouth or emotions, like it did in the days i was not so fit.

working out for the sake of vanity is a turn off for me. someone who works out to look good on the beach is not someone i would have a lot in common with. someone who works out so he can stay strong and injury-free while doing other activities that increase the quality of his life and lifestyle is someone i'd be very compatible with, and hugely turned on by. not interested in the pretty boy fitness model type, just someone who is all round healthy, and with the kind of strength that makes him capable of rising to the challenges of everyday life, not the kind of strength that's just for peacocking.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Love ya, Jet (you know that), but that really just sounds like you're saying you get frustrated that people won't go out and poison themselves with you.

I dunno about the vegan pot and pan thing, but gluten isn't really a choice and vegetarians can usually eat just about anywhere and not just put up with salad unless you are going to the super low end chain restaurants, in which case, the food quality tends to be abysmal anyway.

Anyone with a smart phone can call up the company website and see the nutritional value of all the food, though I don't see why it would matter as most restaurants may offer a low cal dish, but that does not make it healthy or good for you.
Poison? I'd hardly think getting a burger or piece of pizza once every 3 or 4 months is considered poison. Perhaps it's just that particular group of friends then...because it's ALWAYS an ordeal when we go out for food. I understand the gluten thing (my grandmother has celiac disease) but these are people who say they're gluten free but have no issues drinking non-gluten free beer all the time. They won't make an exception for food, but will happily make it for alcohol.

My vegan/veggie friends...well, the last time I went out with them I got a turkey sandwich from a deli and got to deal with them gagging for 20 minutes while I ate it. I ended up excusing myself and eating at another table with them talking about animal welfare extra loudly while I did so.

Maybe my friends are just dicks.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Poison? I'd hardly think getting a burger or piece of pizza once every 3 or 4 months is considered poison. Perhaps it's just that particular group of friends then...because it's ALWAYS an ordeal when we go out for food. I understand the gluten thing (my grandmother has celiac disease) but these are people who say they're gluten free but have no issues drinking non-gluten free beer all the time. They won't make an exception for food, but will happily make it for alcohol.

My vegan/veggie friends...well, the last time I went out with them I got a turkey sandwich from a deli and got to deal with them gagging for 20 minutes while I ate it. I ended up excusing myself and eating at another table with them talking about animal welfare extra loudly while I did so.

Maybe my friends are just dicks.
They probably are.

I respect someones decision to not eat certain types of food, and I don't make a scene out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships