Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM

496 posts, read 941,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Poison? I'd hardly think getting a burger or piece of pizza once every 3 or 4 months is considered poison. Perhaps it's just that particular group of friends then...because it's ALWAYS an ordeal when we go out for food. I understand the gluten thing (my grandmother has celiac disease) but these are people who say they're gluten free but have no issues drinking non-gluten free beer all the time. They won't make an exception for food, but will happily make it for alcohol.

My vegan/veggie friends...well, the last time I went out with them I got a turkey sandwich from a deli and got to deal with them gagging for 20 minutes while I ate it. I ended up excusing myself and eating at another table with them talking about animal welfare extra loudly while I did so.

Maybe my friends are just dicks.
The flip side of this is being vegetarian and going out with people you don't know well (e.g., coworkers, new acquaintances, etc) who just found out and they want to gab about it the entire time when, personally, I just want to eat whatever single item there was on the menu to order. This happens all the time. And then they glaze over (I can imagine the complaints) when I've started answering their questions with any thoroughness. Every single time... questions about how we get our protein, why we're vegetarian, and the jokes about how good meat tastes. You aren't the only ones who get tired of talking about vegan/vegetarian diets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 03:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
The flip side of this is being vegetarian and going out with people you don't know well (e.g., coworkers, new acquaintances, etc) who just found out and they want to gab about it the entire time when, personally, I just want to eat whatever single item there was on the menu to order. This happens all the time. And then they glaze over (I can imagine the complaints) when I've started answering their questions with any thoroughness. Every single time... questions about how we get our protein, why we're vegetarian, and the jokes about how good meat tastes. You aren't the only ones who get tired of talking about vegan/vegetarian diets.
At least people are genuinely curious. One of my friends friends gave me quite a lecture about how I was a murderer and 'continuing the companion animal genocide' while deciding if I wanted a turkey or ham sandwich. I REALLY had to bite my tongue because I grew up in the livestock industry and have butchered my fair share of animals... I was really tempted to go into gory detail about it but I'm not an a-hole.

I have a ton of veggie friends and I was a pescatarian for quite some time, it's the 'holier than thou' people who irritate me.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,857,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Lord, knows, I appreciate fit female bodies as much as the next man.

But frankly, I have sometimes avoided showing too much interest in women who are extremely fit. I exercise myself, and I've learned that trying to maintaining a "perfect" body requires a HUGE amount of effort. People can do it, but those that do are left with time for little else. Most of the fabulously fit people I've met are boring. All they talk about, all they seem interested in, is exercise and diet. That gets old pretty fast. I am sure women have found the same is often true of very fit men. Does anyone agree?
I'm married and a woman, but I'll agree to a point with you.

If someone is "too" fit, that can be a turnoff. They might be nice to look at and touch, but if you're not in the same awesome shape, it can be intimidating, or, you can feel that you'll never be able to meet their standards.

I also get the "boring" part, but that is a BIG generalization and I don't care to generalize any group of people.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Apparently if you enjoy working out, you have no other hobbies and can barely function in normal society.

Okay.
That's a strange statement to make but as you seem to be happy with it I'll not contradict you.

Okay.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Free Beer was being sarcastic.

Frankly, I have to believe that anyone who looks down on someone for exercising and hour a day and eating right just feels ashamed of their laziness.

This isn't extremism. This is what your body was designed to do and requires for a strong, healthy life.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Free Beer was being sarcastic.

Frankly, I have to believe that anyone who looks down on someone for exercising and hour a day and eating right just feels ashamed of their laziness.

This isn't extremism. This is what your body was designed to do and requires for a strong, healthy life.
I think it depends on lifestyle and compatibility. Though I don't do it terribly often, sometimes I want to grab some greasy burgers, a 6 pack of beer and sit and home and watch a terrible movie. I'm friends with people who would never do this in a million years. I also know a few people who get really anxious if they don't get to the gym every day, which means they'll cancel on you or flake on plans to go to the gym. If you can't take one day off to go see a movie with a friend then you've got issues.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM

819 posts, read 1,130,131 times
Quote:
I think it depends on lifestyle and compatibility. Though I don't do it terribly often, sometimes I want to grab some greasy burgers, a 6 pack of beer and sit and home and watch a terrible movie. I'm friends with people who would never do this in a million years. I also know a few people who get really anxious if they don't get to the gym every day, which means they'll cancel on you or flake on plans to go to the gym. If you can't take one day off to go see a movie with a friend then you've got issues.
They flake on you to go to a scheduled workout? That seems a bit contradictory. Also, what about people who just can't miss their favorite tv show? I never thought I'd live to see the day when being fit was looked down upon and not eating a bunch of crap was seen as ridiculous. They're always trying to shove cake and cookies and all sorts of crap down my throat at work, and whenever I say no I hear something like, "You need to live a little!" And of course that's coming from some fat woman who complains about being fat not one hour later after filling her gullet. Anyway, being fit and eating healthy has nothing to do with having a beer or eating a hamburger every so often; you CAN do both. But what most people think is normal is really ****ing extreme. A 6-pack on Friday night won't kill you, but I guarantee you most of the people who say they only drink 6 beers are really drinking 8 or 12 or 15 several times a week.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Default In One Sense, Can Being Too Fit Can Be a Turn Off?

Yes. I've met women that say:

I don't eat that, this, that, or that I'm a runner. I can't put that into my body, my diet is SUPER CLEAN,blah,blah,blah.

After a while it is a turn off. I'm a health conscious guy but I have balance.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'd rather have a girl have an average, curvy figure than being fit.

I saw a really tiny girl come in one day at work to turn in some scrap. Very tiny girl, short, tan, but she showed muscle. Her arms were muscular, which did turn me off. Not that she wasn't pretty, she was, and she was more or less happy.

After that, we had another girl come in with stuff. She had a more curvy figure and didn't show much muscle. I found her figure more attractive.
I like a little fat on the upper leg, in the back just underneath the a**. I love that area.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM

496 posts, read 941,423 times
Quote:
At least people are genuinely curious. One of my friends friends gave me quite a lecture about how I was a murderer and 'continuing the companion animal genocide' while deciding if I wanted a turkey or ham sandwich. I REALLY had to bite my tongue because I grew up in the livestock industry and have butchered my fair share of animals... I was really tempted to go into gory detail about it but I'm not an a-hole.

I have a ton of veggie friends and I was a pescatarian for quite some time, it's the 'holier than thou' people who irritate me.
Yea, I totally get that. Honestly, though, I don't know any vegs who are like that. I've assumed in the past that it's people who are newly converted. This can actually wind its way back on topic - no one likes going out with someone who criticizes their food choices. It's actually a pretty personal decision, but given how social eating is, people feel that it's up for public debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships