Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,224,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I have trouble asking women out. I'm rarely in a situation where I am conversing with women that are single. I organize two coed volleyball teams year round and I have an easy time joking around with ladies in the league, but every lady that I have gotten to know who is in her 30s or 40s is either married or has a boyfriend. Most of the staff in my department at work are women and they think I am funny and easy to talk to and they tell me that they don't understand why I'm still single.
Just talk to more girls. Then ask them out.

The solution is simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post

The solution is simple.
It pretty much is. With some additional thoughts:

1) Don't dress as if you do all your shopping down at the thrift store. You know, there are men's magazines that show you how to look snappy without spending a fortune.
2) Don't subsist on a diet of Quarter Pounders and Doritos. If the weight doesn't turn her off, your unhealthy pallor will.
3) Don't live with your mother. Seriously. MrsCPG and I were at a Waffle House one time discussing her 46-year-old brother who still lives with his parents. She asked two cute women next to us if they would date a successful professional who still lived with his parents. "Ewwwwww, no way" was their reply. You're better off admitting that you crash on your buddy's sofa.
4) Don't forget to groom yourself every day.
5) Don't neglect seeing a dentist.
6) Don't lunge at any woman who smiles at you in the same manner that a starving man attacks the buffet at Golden Corral.
7) Don't mention your model airplane collection, your Dungeons and Dragons figurines, or your high score in World Of Warcraft until about your tenth, thirtieth, or fiftieth date respectively. In fact, talk about your penchant for video games with about as much freedom as you would about how often you masturbate. In other words, don't go there at all.
8) Don't talk about you in the opening stages of knowing her. Talk about her. If she asks about you, answer the question in as few words as is polite and then talk about her some more. She'll think you're the most amazing conversationalist in the world and she'll want to know more about you.
9) Don't treat her like she's all that. I don't care if you've stumbled across freaking Giselle Bundchen at your local saloon and she engages you in conversation. Somewhere in the world, there's a guy who got tired of her. Instead treat her with just a bit of fun and amusement, while still showing respect. It'll drive her crazy.
10) Don't stare at her boobs. Regardless of how spectacular her fun bags are, or how prominently they're displayed, will yourself to gaze roughly 12-18 inches north of there. She's a woman, not a fertility totem.
11) Don't mention your mother and your past girlfriends (For those who have actually had them). Assume that the world began with the woman with whom you're having a conversation. No, it's not incompatible with rule #9.
12) Don't ask her out as if you're pleading with the banker for an extension on your loan, complete with pie charts and spreadsheets to make your case. Instead, make it seem as if the idea just sorta came to you at that very moment.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-12-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 04:19 PM

588 posts, read 796,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
So you're older? I think that makes it harder.

I'm in my early 30s and just dating, so we are out there.
Yes, I'm older - in my early 40s. Anyway, as soon as I leave PETCO, I'll go find you at the yogurt section*.

*In the unlikely event that I'm still single after an entire day at PETCO

Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,450 times
#13) be interesting, live a full life and dont make let women validate ur existence

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
#13) be interesting, live a full life and dont make let women validate ur existence
Damn. That's a good one. The minute you treat a woman as if she is the end-all, be-all completion of your existence, that's when she backs away with a hunted look. Women like men who love their lives and are suspicious of men who need them that much.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Damn. That's a good one. The minute you treat a woman as if she is the end-all, be-all completion of your existence, that's when she backs away with a hunted look. Women like men who love their lives and are suspicious of men who need them that much.
the 12 other ones u gave werent bad either

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,224,191 times
Quote:
It pretty much is. With some additional thoughts:

1) Don't dress as if you do all your shopping down at the thrift store. You know, there are men's magazines that show you how to look snappy without spending a fortune.
2) Don't subsist on a diet of Quarter Pounders and Doritos. If the weight doesn't turn her off, your unhealthy pallor will.
3) Don't live with your mother. Seriously. MrsCPG and I were at a Waffle House one time discussing her 46-year-old brother who still lives with his parents. She asked two cute women next to us if they would date a successful professional who still lived with his parents. "Ewwwwww, no way" was their reply. You're better off admitting that you crash on your buddy's sofa.
4) Don't forget to groom yourself every day.
5) Don't neglect seeing a dentist.
6) Don't lunge at any woman who smiles at you in the same manner that a starving man attacks the buffet at Golden Corral.
7) Don't mention your model airplane collection, your Dungeons and Dragons figurines, or your high score in World Of Warcraft until about your tenth, thirtieth, or fiftieth date respectively. In fact, talk about your penchant for video games with about as much freedom as you would about how often you masturbate. In other words, don't go there at all.
8) Don't talk about you in the opening stages of knowing her. Talk about her. If she asks about you, answer the question in as few words as is polite and then talk about her some more. She'll think you're the most amazing conversationalist in the world and she'll want to know more about you.
9) Don't treat her like she's all that. I don't care if you've stumbled across freaking Giselle Bundchen at your local saloon and she engages you in conversation. Somewhere in the world, there's a guy who got tired of her. Instead treat her with just a bit of fun and amusement, while still showing respect. It'll drive her crazy.
10) Don't stare at her boobs. Regardless of how spectacular her fun bags are, or how prominently they're displayed, will yourself to gaze roughly 12-18 inches north of there. She's a woman, not a fertility totem.
11) Don't mention your mother and your past girlfriends (For those who have actually had them). Assume that the world began with the woman with whom you're having a conversation. No, it's not incompatible with rule #9.
12) Don't ask her out as if you're pleading with the banker for an extension on your loan, complete with pie charts and spreadsheets to make your case. Instead, make it seem as if the idea just sorta came to you at that very moment.
Damn. Talk about over-complicating something simple (not to mention that most of that stuff doesn't matter....I've done most of that at one time or another and it has no effect on things).

Here's a more concise list:
1) Talk to as many girls as possible
2) Ask them out
3) Make a move
4) Stay positive if things aren't going the way you want them to
5) Learn from your mistakes

If you do those five things, you'll be unstoppable.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Damn. Talk about over-complicating something simple (not to mention that most of that stuff doesn't matter....I've done most of that at one time or another and it has no effect on things).

Here's a more concise list:
1) Talk to as many girls as possible
2) Ask them out
3) Make a move
4) Stay positive if things aren't going the way you want them to
5) Learn from your mistakes

If you do those five things, you'll be unstoppable.
Well, you'd think. But that list is a distillation of all the problems I've seen on these threads over the years. Because if he's some overweight schlub who wears not just plaid but brown plaid all the time, has his hair cut as if somebody popped a colander on his head and began snipping, and babbles on and on about nonsensical crap that doesn't matter a hill of beans to a woman, then he could talk to 10,000 women a day and not get anywhere.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Quote:
Well, you'd think. But that list is a distillation of all the problems I've seen on these threads over the years. Because if he's some overweight schlub who wears not just plaid but brown plaid all the time, has his hair cut as if somebody popped a colander on his head and began snipping, and babbles on and on about nonsensical crap that doesn't matter a hill of beans to a woman, then he could talk to 10,000 women a day and not get anywhere.
What's wrong with brown plaid, it might work if you're asking out collegiate or professor types :P.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM

588 posts, read 796,765 times
Quote:

The solution is simple.
Ah yes, it seems so simple. I do agree with you that talking to more women is the key, but I'm not sure that I can start walking up to women in supermarkets or bookstores and start talking. I'm not sure about doing that because I really don't think it would work. Since my friends have all long been married, I think that I need to do a better job of putting myself in situations where I can meet more women. I haven't been completely lazy though as I have attended a few "meet-up" groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships