Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The word Preference fits to a tee. If it's only discriminatory with respect dating and no other area (Survival, Jobs, housing, friends, etc) then it really isn't what Americans consider Racism. You may not find certain features that are fairly common in a race attractive. My white (Actually Tanish) complexion may be unattractive to a woman who likes very dark or even very light skin. Is she discriminating against me because of my tone? Yes. Would I call her a racist because of it, No. Is she closed minded because of her preference? In my mind that's the definition of being close minded, but I still wouldn't hold it against her as that is her preference.

There are some people on this board (of all races) and in real life that say they have a preference, then follow it up with statements about Superiority- Smarter, Dumber, Stronger, Taller, with respect to race etc. That's the tipping in my mind where it's really not just a preference.
I agree with you except for the close-minded part, because I don't think who you do or don't feel an innate attraction to, makes you close-minded. I think it's more close-minded to expect that everyone should be attracted to all people and not have any preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with you except for the close-minded part, because I don't think who you do or don't feel an innate attraction to, makes you close-minded. I think it's more close-minded to expect that everyone should be attracted to all people and not have any preferences.
Is it racist or close-minded if someone feels a strong, innate attraction toward someone, but will not date him/her simply because of skin color/race? For only me (cannot speak for anyone else), I felt I had been racist because I was attracted to everything about someone, but only excluded them because of skin color/race.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I don't like corny, fat White guys. Does that make me racist?

Yes it does!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Is it racist or close-minded if someone feels a strong, innate attraction toward someone, but will not date him/her simply because of skin color/race? For only me (cannot speak for anyone else), I felt I had been racist because I was attracted to everything about someone, but only excluded them because of skin color/race.
Hmmm, that's a good one. I would probably lean more towards racism because you're excluding someone you ARE attracted to based on reasons that may be grounded in upbringing, peer pressure and other people's expectations and perceived judgements about the quality of that person based on their race. If you worry about being judged for being with that person because of their outward appearance, to me that goes deeper than being close-minded.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Hmmm, that's a good one. I would probably lean more towards racism because you're excluding someone you ARE attracted to based on reasons that may be grounded in upbringing, peer pressure and other people's expectations and perceived judgements about the quality of that person based on their race. If you worry about being judged for being with that person because of their outward appearance, to me that goes deeper than being close-minded.
Yes, that's what I think. I was 17 at the time, and would not behave this way now. Close-minded because of all the reasons you listed, but still felt internally racist to me.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I find there are nearly as many people who will only date a single race that is not their own race as people who will only date their own.

I have a Navajo friend who dates all kinds of women, but he will not date what he calls 'Feather Sluts', a non-Native American woman who only dates Native Americans. He considers them racist despite being the beneficiary of thier social disorder.

Personally, I don't consider it racist to have a 'type' , but if there is an underlying philosophy of I only date people of race 'x' becuase they are 'y', then that seems racist to me.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I don't like corny, fat White guys. Does that make me racist?
No.

I wouldn't date a woman named Lakeeshonda, because I'd be thinking "Is this for real?"

Does that make me a racist?

Just kidding.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
My rule is simple =

As long as she has a vagina, is a decent person, and is physically fit, I could care less what race they are.

I wouldn't call people who don't date outside their race as racist, just dumb.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
I think that I must be racist, because I can't see dating a cow or dog. So for that, I think I'm sticking to my own race.

On a serious note though. I don't personally care who dates who. It doesn't make one speck of difference for me personally. I live in a city that has many different ethnicities dating each other. It's just not a big deal where I live. Since most of us are a combination of things, it seems that this thread is really directed at black and white interracial dating. I say this because when you look at a white person (Asians are the exceptions) they could be a mixture of things/ etc irish, italian, german, etc. So I am going to look directly at the giant purple elephant in the room, and say what these types of topics are ALWAYS about. They are "usually"/ "mostly" about black/ white relationships. I personally have been attracted to some black girls, but I want my kids to be/ look white. This is only because I am white. That's my preference and I have stated it before on another thread. I don't feel like I have to apologize for it either. And NO, I am not going to talk or tell you about all of my black, brown, yellow friends to prove to anybody that I am not a racist! I used to have alot of black friends, but not so much anymore...Wow, such honesty. But for me it just comes down to "children". I have two kids and they are white. If I ever have another one which I don't think I will I would prefer/ make that want them to be the same color as me. My gf is white and I have been with her for eight years. She has a kid from her previous marriage and I have two from someone else. If we continue to stay together and decide some day to have a child of our own I'm pretty sure that kid would come out white. Unless she cheats on me with a black fella..The truth of the matter is that most of us have a little racism in us. Now this part I don't mean between just black and white either. I mean regarding people in general. We all do.

Last but not least. Aren't we all sick of discussing this crap? I know I am. It seems to me that the people calling other people racists are pretty racist themselves. Like I have already stated, we all have some racism in us, but some of these people seem "more" racist in my opinion. I see most of these threads as a way to point fingers at someone else and blame/ hate whatever for whatever reason. The fact is, when you are pointing your finger at someone else, there are four fingers pointing back at you...

Last edited by supermanpansy; 01-10-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
The truth of the matter is that most of us have a little racism in us. I don't mean between just black and white either. I mean regarding people in general. We all do.

Last but not least. Aren't we all sick of discussing this crap? I know I am. It seems to me that the people calling other people racists are pretty racist themselves. Like I already stated, we all have some racism in us, but some of these people seem "more" racist in my opinion. I see most of these threads as a way to point fingers at someone else and blame/ hate whatever for whatever reason. The fact is, when you are pointing your finger at someone else, there are four fingers pointing back at you...
''Now wouldn't life be a real drag if we were all the same?''

Savoy Brown - I'm Tired - Ken Suitter's Jurassic Rock - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships