Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's a day for me to feel completely awkward because I always had to deal with the pity of people around me because I was 'alone'. Last year, I was given a flower by one of my coworkers because her boyfriend sent her a huge bouquet and she said 'Here's one for you so you don't feel so left out'. Yeah well...that made it much worse.

This year I'll be working and then I'll do what I do every holiday... buy myself some Chinese food and go home to watch a movie.
I'd totally join you for that! Love Chinese food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Oh that horrid woman. Flaunting it in front of you. Well just remember this many couples tell me they have to tell their SO what to buy them. Then be like, "Oh honey you shouldn't have!"
She always flaunted her relationships... she's a very pretty woman and was always bragging about the gifts she received from men. I was perpetually single, so I think she liked to rub it in my face for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Is this a tougher day for single women, generally speaking, than single men?

The only "uproar" I've heard is at a Catholic parish. The priest really dug affluent married people with lots of kids, so during a Mass that fell on Valentine's Day, he asked the couples to stand up and be applauded. The lady who told me about it was divorced, did not have a boyfriend, and was pissed at this priest. He was an a-hole. There was no doubt about that.
Yes and no... I think for a single woman, the fact that you're alone on Valentines Day means that you are undesirable and not worthy of love. Like the say, the best women and men are snatched up quickly, so if you're single then you're not one of the 'good ones' and V-day just makes it publicly obvious.

For men, I do feel bad for them because there is so much pressure to create this romantic evening and get the perfect gift etc. I find that there are more breakups around this time of year than any other... you don't want to be alone for the holidays, but break up before V-day so you don't have to deal with it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
"National overcharge guys for stuff day" you mean...

She and I'll have fun and "they" will get their money.
Dude stop being cheap.

They have sales at those jewelry places I suggested.

Be glad you have someone.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM

803 posts, read 1,879,153 times
i only like Valentines Day because all the yummy chocolate goes on sale the next day!!!! lol

Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Yes and no... I think for a single woman, the fact that you're alone on Valentines Day means that you are undesirable and not worthy of love.

What? That's a bit dramatic.

Anyone who puts that much emphasis on a stupid made up holiday needs a reality check. Jesus.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It's my least favorite holiday. do we need a day to remind ourselves that we have failed at love or haven't found love. .

I don't think most single guys care about Valentine's Day since we don't have to spend any money. I think it's mainly single woman are depressed on VD.

To me VD is a regular day

Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I'm looking forward to it. Nice hotel, room service, good bottle of wine, no clothes

I wish everyday was like Valentine's Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I don't consider it to be much of a holiday; It's just an excuse to do something special. Have a nice dinner. Whatever. Not that I need much of an excuse.

Bah! I like your first answer better.

We don't do anything special, but I don't hate the holiday. I didn't hate it when I was on my own, either, or after my divorce. I don't see the point in being miserable because other people are celebrating something.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Good thread Bobert. I do think women get depressed more during V-day.

She better not be if she is 25 or older lol

Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy612 View Post
i only like Valentines Day because all the yummy chocolate goes on sale the next day!!!! lol
That's what's most fun about it, though this year, I have to pass on those specials. That's what I'll be sad about.

The day really isn't that big of a deal to some of us single people myself included; it will likely pass with out a thought, but, as I made mention, I will do a card thing sometimes with friends, simply for the fun of it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
She better not be if she is 25 or older lol
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships