Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM

371 posts, read 894,656 times

Advertisements

Poverty can't buy anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Once your basic needs are met (food, companionship, shelter, health care), everything else is just gravy. After that minimum starting point, happiness becomes a choice you make for the most part (barring mental illness or extreme tragedy).

Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Once your basic needs are met (food, companionship, shelter, health care), everything else is just gravy. After that minimum starting point, happiness becomes a choice you make for the most part (barring mental illness or extreme tragedy).
Spot on and agreed. People really don't require "that" much relative to western standards, but poverty can be a stressor that leads to unhappiness.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Having more money would make me happier - because I'm already happy. But having more money but not having my husband, my son, my dog, my friends, etc. would not make me happy. I feel like there was some study on lottery winners and it said that the people that were happy before they won the lottery did really well - and the ones that weren't happy before didn't do well.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Lets keep it real lol, most people's problems when you get to the root of it the vast majority of the time has to do with not having any or enough money. I'm not saying it will help everything, but 95% of your current problems would instantly disappear being rich

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM

51 posts, read 98,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
That's my point: happiness doesn't have a price tag. Sure buy ________ will make you happy for a little while, but what about when that "rush/high" wears off? You're left with the stuff and an emptiness.

To answer your question, no. I do not buy things for happiness, I buy things out of necessity. As I previously posted, I have learned the value of a dollar.
This....it is the "illusion" of money that people chase. Everyone has experienced what wealthy people experience related to buying goods/services to fill their happy tank. Watch a child rave and fuss that they have to have the new IT toy saying, "If you get this for me it will be the last time I ask you for anything." Wait to see how long it takes for the newness to wear off and then their interest gets shifted to the next IT toy.

That's how people in general get caught in the vicious cycle of materialism where they keep buying more and more stuff (for those who are rich) or think that buying more and more stuff (for those who are of lesser means) to/will maintain the high. Truth be told that's where a relationship with Jesus comes in. It is the ONLY thing that can bring everlasting joy/happiness to human beings regardless of your socioeconomic status (speaking from experience).

Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
look at the tabloids, all the beautiful people in hollywood, have big bucks,,,they are more *****ed up than most people i know

Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Money doesn't buy happiness.

It buys distraction.

At least temporarily......

Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post
I can't believe some people actually say this. I must be living on a different planet.

No rich person would ever say this. I imagine it must be the poor folk who tell themselves this. Rich people are living it up, going on holidays, riding horses, living in nice neighborhoods, buying bentleys, buying mansions,.... how can anyone be unhappy with filthy amounts of money? Rich people are less stressed and more cheerful than poor people. This isn't even a debate.

For me I choose money over everything. It'd definitely buy me happiness. Nothing is more important.
How do you explain the happy people who don't have a lot of money?

[me included]

Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
I keep reading that happiness is a choice. I don't know if I agree with that. Some people rich or poor are very unhappy. Most of them have tons of mental problems. Money does buy happiness to some degree. It buys assurance, safety, the neccessities everyone needs to survive plus extras. Yes, it's nice to think that money doesn't make any difference in peoples happiness but that is false imo. I've seen many celebrities over the years saying that they wish that they weren't famous. Yet, when pushed for honesty, they all say, but I would hate to be broke again. These people give up their anonymity to be rich and famous. In truth, I've never heard any of them ever say that they would rather have their old lives back. Which was usually poor and struggling. I am not poor and I am not rich. But I sure have a list of things I would do if I had more money.

Having said all that, I do think that money can buy temporary happiness. To be truly happy is an inside job. But money doesn't hurt.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 02-20-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships