Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Seriously? This is the problem with dating. People are so impatient and if they don't get exactly what they want as soon as they want it then they give up and move along. First of all, 6 dates are not that many to decide you want to be someone's boyfriend or girlfriend. 6 dates is nothing...that's what? Maybe a few weeks of dating? If you haven't had the exclusive talk, then feel free to go on other dates, but to give up on someone you like because they haven't had the talk by only 6 dates. Geez. Second of all, people aren't mind readers. If you want to be official with this guy and you're so impatient you can't wait to see what happens naturally, then at least talk to him and communicate what your expectations are.
Rational advice is not welcome here on city data!

Break up with him! He is an abusive jerk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
It depends. My current GF we were dating for a month before I made it official. I must admit It's nice to be in a relationship again

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
I've been seeing this guy for a month now...like six dates. Just curious, usually how Long does it take for a man to ask a woman to be his girlfriend? I'm starting to get impatient and look elsewhere but I really like this guy and think we'd be good together. Is he not as interested as he seems? And no we haven't slept together lol.
Until you both have the talk about being in an official relationship (and I'm old fashioned, so I do wait for the guy to broach the subject), why be impatient? Continue to date him, and get to know him, but leave yourself open to meeting someone else as well...it doesn't mean you have to go "looking" elsewhere, but just leave yourself open to it. Nothing wrong with that. And, it might make you feel less stressed out about where it's going with this guy.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM

826 posts, read 1,893,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
His actions should be telling you if he is interested in you, and not what artificial label he wants to place on your relationship. The only real "label" that has meaning is "married" since it has civil/legal/contractural connotations.

You will know if he is interested in you based on whether he is initiating contacts and dates, giving you things (flowers, gifts, treats, whatever), making time in his schedule to spend with you, etc, or whether he is ignoring you, making other plans all the time, giving excuses, etc.
I agree with this.
What use is a title/label, if the guy is screwing around on you or treating you badly?
His actions matter more, plus your gut instincts.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
People will have their own timeframe for when they feel comfortable being exclusive.

I've been used to getting exclusive usually within 4-8 weeks so I am comfortable moving fast early on.

But I dated a guy that at 4 months was not ready (and we'd known each other for years) and knew another guy that said it took him 6 months to one year to decide.

And its not so much about titles as it is about knowing whether they are keeping options open or not. No one wants to invest a lot of time with someone and possibly be sleeping with someone only to find out they still are talking to or dating others.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM

165 posts, read 274,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
I've been seeing this guy for a month now...like six dates. Just curious, usually how Long does it take for a man to ask a woman to be his girlfriend? I'm starting to get impatient and look elsewhere but I really like this guy and think we'd be good together. Is he not as interested as he seems? And no we haven't slept together lol.

Well if he is smart, he will wait for you to basically drop the bomb that you want a relationship. I never have asked a girl to be exclusive until she basically told me so. Drop the hints. If he wants a relationship with you he will ask. Although to be honest, a lot of guys (if they are good with women) won't go into exlcusive territory until they know the sex is good.....

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM

947 posts, read 1,186,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprince18 View Post
Well if he is smart, he will wait for you to basically drop the bomb that you want a relationship. I never have asked a girl to be exclusive until she basically told me so. Drop the hints. If he wants a relationship with you he will ask. Although to be honest, a lot of guys (if they are good with women) won't go into exlcusive territory until they know the sex is good.....
How does this make any sense...

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,258 times
It depends on the girl and how well the dates well. If it went well, you want to get exclusive before she goes off the market. If not, then you might keep it more casual. That's what women do as well. Everyone has multiple options these days, don't make the mistake of thinking you are the "one and only." If you try to force the relationship, you will scare him off faster than a herd of meerkats.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 118,657 times
ive been seeing a guy for 7 months, we live together even work together but still arent in a relationship. everyone knows were together he even speaks of me to other people as his girlfriend but dosnt call us boyfriend and girlfriend. "im his girl but were not official" is really whats said more often unless a guy is hitting on me then im his girlfriend. he talks about the future about when we get married or says how are kids would be good looking but still no title whats up with that?

Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Precisely 49 business days. If met anytime after 3:00PM EST, countdown will begin on the following morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships