Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,715,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Nah. She looks great, but we have nothing in common. I wouldn't date her even if she were my age. Plus the whole lying thing isn't a plus.
Now now, don't talk yourself out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,672,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
But you'd Google her and look up her personal information.

What business is all of that of yours, anyway? Good grief.
Spare me the false outrage. It's public information. It's not like I went snooping through her trash. People google each other all the time. It's not an invasion of privacy. And as I already explained, I had sufficient reason to doubt her honesty given her appearance and her earlier statements about how long she'd been married and divorced. Let me ask you this? Let's say the situation was reversed and I lied to her. If she suspected I was lying and decided to look me up on Google, which you still would be upset? I wouldn't. I wouldn't blame her one bit. But it seems like there's a double standard at work. A woman can look up information about a man, but if a man does it, he'll be vilified. Give me a break.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,672,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
All things being all... how "big" do you think this one fault in this one instance is?

To me it does not seem very big knowing the cultural pressures women have to be deceptive about their age once they pass a certain age.

And don't take this as a personal attack, but I was more offended by your googling her after accidentally receiving her mail.

Plenty of women do lie about their age. I have a good female friend in her 40s that has just turned 30 or something. We both find a bit of humor in it.

Men lie about their height at least as frequently. This annoys me more than women giving a false age. And neither really annoy me all that much.

I have it on good word that quite a number of professional boxers are much shorter than the heights they give.

So, the cultural pressures tell women they should be younger and tell men that they should be taller. Both sexes participate in this game. And everyone lies if by no other means than lying to themselves.
As I explained above, there's nothing wrong with me googling her. It's not like I saw her from afar and decided to look her up after never having had a conversation with her. She offered information about herself. That opened the door for me to gauge whether I think it's true. It's no different than if I met someone and told them I worked at Facebook. They could pull up my profile at LinkedIn and confirm it. Is that invasion of privacy? No. Should I be offended that they looked me up? No, especially if I already gave them reason to doubt my story.

You mentioned men lying about their age. But it's a false equivalence. A man can't conceal his height. But a woman can lie about her age and you can't tell just by looking at her whether she's being truthful. And just because lying is commonplace doesn't make it excusable. Dating is all about trust. You meet someone, you want to know if they'll be straight with you. She asked me if I was religious. Her faith is important to her and I'm sure she's looking for someone similar. Should I have lied and said I'm a spiritual person even though I'm not? Sorry, but I believe in being straight with people. For all I know, she lost interest in me the moment she found out I was an atheist. But that's better than misleading her. Suppose I didn't I discover her real age. We started dating, it got serious, and then one day she confesses. Or vice versa, I let her think I was spiritual, we got serious, slept together, and then I said, "oh by the way, I lied when I said I believe in God." I guess lying has become so common in the world of dating that some people are willing to excuse it.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 AM

But she really likes you and was feeling insecure. She just wanted to be able to talk to you. You can talk about it with her later after you get to know her a little bit and tell her how you feel.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
But she really likes you and was feeling insecure. She just wanted to be able to talk to you. You can talk about it with her later after you get to know her a little bit and tell her how you feel.
He's a stalker and she's a lier. It ain't gonna work. Lol

Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
He's a stalker and she's a lier. It ain't gonna work. Lol

Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Lol

Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,494,644 times
Quote:
This isn't a question about online dating. I get why people lie on those sites. I'm talking about in person.

I started talking with one of my neighbors who's VERY chatty. Today, she asked me how old I am. I told her to guess and she said 43, which is odd since people usually guess I'm younger. So when I told her how old I really was, she was surprised and volunteered that she was 40. Here's the thing though. Because people's mail sometimes get mixed up when you live in apartment complex, I was able to learn this woman's last name. And when I googled her, I discovered that she's 46. So why do you think she lied? Do you think it had to do with her discovering my true age? And what, if anything should I infer? Does it mean she's interested in me?
Women lie to men about their age because the bias against older women is so strong. Even single men in their 40s often want nothing to do with women their own age; they are looking for women a decade or more younger.

I cannot say whether this woman is interested in you. But even if she isn't, she could still lie about her age just to avoid being dismissed as "too old" to bother with.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,167,053 times
Quote:
This isn't a question about online dating. I get why people lie on those sites. I'm talking about in person.

I started talking with one of my neighbors who's VERY chatty. Today, she asked me how old I am. I told her to guess and she said 43, which is odd since people usually guess I'm younger. So when I told her how old I really was, she was surprised and volunteered that she was 40. Here's the thing though. Because people's mail sometimes get mixed up when you live in apartment complex, I was able to learn this woman's last name. And when I googled her, I discovered that she's 46. So why do you think she lied? Do you think it had to do with her discovering my true age? And what, if anything should I infer? Does it mean she's interested in me?

Oh really?? so maybe I should start asking women their last names too on the phone. LOL.

Women crack me up

Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Oh really?? so maybe I should start asking women their last names too on the phone. LOL.

Women crack me up
Did you just call Denny a woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships