Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Because many women are seen as 'worthless' if they're over a certain age. Hell, I've been told that once I hit 30 I may as well buy a bunch of cats because guys won't even look at me.
I am over 30

And I have noticed a really weird pattern in the past few years.
Sometimes someone will be flirting with me. In the age range of around my age or 5-7 years younger.

They'll ask me how old I am, or throw out a guess. The guess is usually a societally acceptable age [27 or so]. When I reveal my real age, they disappear a couple of minutes later. It is rather odd, but it is suddenly like I am an unacceptable age to them.

As for the older ones? Well they stick around. Hmm totally puzzled. We'll see what happens now that I have hit a "milestone" age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,026,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am over 30

And I have noticed a really weird pattern in the past few years.
Sometimes someone will be flirting with me. In the age range of around my age or 5-7 years younger.

They'll ask me how old I am, or throw out a guess. The guess is usually a societally acceptable age [27 or so]. When I reveal my real age, they disappear a couple of minutes later. It is rather odd, but it is suddenly like I am an unacceptable age to them.

As for the older ones? Well they stick around. Hmm totally puzzled. We'll see what happens now that I have hit a "milestone" age.
Eh it's not bad at my age(35). The 40 yr olds don't seem so old anymore.lol

Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Eh it's not bad at my age(35). The 40 yr olds don't seem so old anymore.lol
Heheh! I just joined you in the 35 club. We'll see.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,627,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This isn't a question about online dating. I get why people lie on those sites. I'm talking about in person.

I started talking with one of my neighbors who's VERY chatty. Today, she asked me how old I am. I told her to guess and she said 43, which is odd since people usually guess I'm younger. So when I told her how old I really was, she was surprised and volunteered that she was 40. Here's the thing though. Because people's mail sometimes get mixed up when you live in apartment complex, I was able to learn this woman's last name. And when I googled her, I discovered that she's 46. So why do you think she lied? Do you think it had to do with her discovering my true age? And what, if anything should I infer? Does it mean she's interested in me?
Very simple. Age is not much of a selling point for women wandering through their 3rd and 4th decade who are at all still concerned about their worth in the dating marketplace (ie; they're not married or in a committed relationship of any kind.) Of course she was/is interested in you. Not sure why you would be though. Liars make bad partners.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,680,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
You didn't stalk her. You were being nosy in my opinion. But in fairness... men and women tell women to poke their nose into the private life and whole biography of any and every man they may consider dating.
Explain how someone's age is private information. It's not private if it's publicly available. My profile is on LinkedIn. Anyone can see where I work, what my occupation is, where I went to school, etc. Are you going to claim that where I work is private? I don't own that information just like she doesn't own the information about her age. You guys seem to think the mere act of looking someone up on the Internet is an invasion of privacy. It's not. My address is listed in the white pages. If someone looked me up and discovered where I live, is that being nosy? No. In the old days, if you were curious about someone, you'd ask around. That doesn't mean go get me the most personal information about this person. It simply means give me a general idea of what this person is like. Is he married? Do you know what he does for living? Do you know if he's a Christian? These are common questions that most people would not consider intrusive or being nosy. The only difference between asking people you know and going online is that you're simply directing your questions to a larger audience. Seriously, some of you need to look up the definition of nosy and get a grasp on what's public and private information.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,251,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There's nothing nosy, cowardly or weird in being curious about someone you're interested in. You're offering up an extreme and uncommon example to prove your point. There are some things you can't just ask a person directly, not if you don't know them already. For example, if I want to know what my neighbor is like, I might ask someone who knows her. Is she sweet? Is she shy? Is she full of herself? Those aren't things she would divulge on her own. In the world of dating, people hide their worst qualities and sometimes you need someone else to clue you in about those red flags. Are you telling me that if you were interested in someone, you would never think to ask someone else "what's he like?" I seriously doubt that. When you meet someone, they're a blank slate. So naturally you seek out others who might know that person better. If I asked someone what my neighbor is like and he said "stay from her cause she's got a bad temper," at least that saves me from finding out myself. So how is that different than me googling someone? These days, you can discover potential red flags that you might never learn from the person themselves, like whether they have a criminal record. If you're honestly someone who would never think to look up someone, then that makes you naive and foolish.
For all you know, a female neighbor may be jealous or a male neighbor might be annoyed because she spurned his advances. And not for nothing, but you asking one neighbor about another is a great way to become the subject of local gossip. That's not for me.

As for looking people up or asking around, I'm a grown-up. I don't need anyone else to vet my romantic interests for me, thanks. I did date a friend of a friend and I was considerate enough of my friend not to involve her in it, again, because I'm an adult. I also trust my own judgment: If something seems off about someone, I just don't bother. It's not worth my time to go digging around for someone I do not feel completely at ease with. The only time I did look someone up was when he did something criminal, which was drive drunk, not home, but to me.

Regarding women changing the subject, you took a two-line, off-the-cuff post of mine and responded with a defensive diatribe, something about sparing you false outrage. Seems like if anyone struck a nerve here, it was me. However, it is interesting that you didn't get bent out of shape when a male poster mentioned that perhaps the woman lied to keep her information private from nosy neighbors.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,545,849 times
Not all women lie about their age, I don't. What I find more disturbing is you finding out her last name and then Googling her for no apparent reason except to find out what you could about a neighbor you barely know.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,508,848 times
From a dating perspective, people lie to make themselves seem more disirable or marketable, and hope that by the time it's discovered, someone will accept the truth and no longer care.

Some men and women lie about age. Some men fudge their height. Some women mislead about weight. I don't worry about it too much - if I don't like what I see in person, I won't be staying around. Of course, I don't much care for liars, but some lies are more serious or damaging than others, but a pattern of lying is definitely a deal breaker.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,272,037 times
Why is this thread still going?

It is sexist and offensive.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
From a dating perspective, people lie to make themselves seem more disirable or marketable, and hope that by the time it's discovered, someone will accept the truth and no longer care.

Some men and women lie about age. Some men fudge their height. Some women mislead about weight. I don't worry about it too much - if I don't like what I see in person, I won't be staying around. Of course, I don't much care for liars, but some lies are more serious or damaging than others, but a pattern of lying is definitely a deal breaker.
This is exactly how I feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships